Thread: Mussina wants a deal

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Mussina wants a deal

Moose thinkin' deal

BY SAM BORDEN
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    TAMPA - Although the Yankees have indicated they aren't planning to think about working on a new contract for Mike Mussina until much later in the year, the righthander's agent said he is planning to be in Tampa next month and is hoping to "start dialogue" on an extension at that time.
    Arn Tellem, who also represents Hideki Matsui and Jason Giambi, attempted to work out an extension for Matsui last spring but halted negotiations after the Japanese outfielder said he preferred to play out his current deal. Mussina won't do the same. He would prefer to lock up a new contract as soon as possible and has said he wants to remain in the Bronx.
    The Bombers - who gave Mussina a six-year, $88.5 million deal before the 2001 season - are more inclined to wait. They are slightly leery of the elbow problems that developed for Mussina in each of the past two years. They certainly will decline his option for 2007 (it's worth $17 million with a $1.5 million buyout) and will insist on a much lower price for the 37-year-old. "The Yankees first want to know he is healthy," Tellem wrote yesterday in an E-mail. "He is, and I'm confident he will have a great year."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-332778c.html

Moose!

Sorry, had to get that outta the way. Now...Mussina is 37 and not as effective as he once was. If he gets a nice 2-3 year deal to finish his career as a Yankee, I'm happy.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    That ain't happening. He's old and isn't nearly what he used to be, but he doesn't realize that yet.

What Saber said. Mussina's even suffered at times against the Red Sox: that's when you know a pitcher's done. If a Mussina, Lilly, Kazmir, Johnson (Jason) sucks against the Red Sox, then don't give him a dime.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    Please no, he has come through for us 2 times in the postseason since he's been here. Unless he signs a very low deal he can finish his career elsewhere.

MLB ERA
    Im still betting on 12-15 wins this year for moose. Hes still effective and to be honest I'd rather have him then Carl Pavano or Jaret Wright, which is whom would replace a departing Moose. He'll probably retire in 3 or 4 years, or sooner if he wins another Series.

MLB ERA
    Of course Mussina will win 12-15 games. How can you not win games with that offense behind you? He will still have an era between 4.00 and 4.50 though. He is still a solid pitcher with his usually good control but he is nowhere near where he was in his prime with Baltimore. He has failed to crack the 200 IP mark in consecutive seasons, something he has only done once before and that was because of the strike shortened '94 season. I agree with General that he should only get a cheap 2-3 year deal to finish out his career.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Im still betting on 12-15 wins this year for moose.
    At $14mil , he should be winning 20 games a year. Mussina is the most overrated pitch in the league. His best is clearly behind him, but he is still very effective (against the Royals). I'll bet David Ortiz is begging him to stay in the American League after '06.

MLB ERA
    I think most overrated is a little overboard. I'm pretty sure Tom Glavine or Sidney Ponson takes that cake. And since when haven't the Yankees shelled out way to much for mediocre skill?

Glavine is still a decent pitcher, and everyone knows Ponson is awful.

I'd give that title to Curt Schilling.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Too many better pitchers out there next year for the Yanks to throw their money at. Mussina has done well but the Yanks can do better. Next year it looks like Johnson, Wright, Pavano, Wang, and whoever they overpay for, possibly Zito. Aaron Small is 34? That just blew my mind!