Thread: Yanks Serious About Nomar Playing 1B

AAA ERA

Yankees Yanks Serious About Nomar Playing 1B

It was first reported in the post yesterday and today the Post says Joe Torre has called Nomar to talk him into it. The article is below:

NOMAR YANKS' 1ST ORDER OF BUSINESS

By GEORGE KING
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 14, 2005 -- It threw the unflappable Mike Mussina for a loop. Rough and tough Kyle Farnsworth could have been knocked over by a gnat. Jason Giambi thought it was cool.
    Now Nomar Garciaparra has heard Joe Torre's recruiting pitch over the phone.

"I made a couple of calls to [Garciaparra]," Torre said yesterday morning at the Pierre Hotel, where he was on hand for a HELP USA fund-raiser to fight domestic violence.

Torre doesn't phone every free agent the Yankees engage. His firm but soothing voice is saved for the players the Yankees want and who might require prodding.

In the 32-year-old Garciaparra's case, Torre's voice could be the difference between Garciaparra landing in The Bronx or going to Cleveland or Houston to play the outfield.

A friend of Garciaparra's said he could make a decision before the weekend.

While the Yankees and agent Arn Tellem refuse to discuss specifics, it's believed they are talking about a one-year deal in the $4 million range for Garciaparra, who earned $8.25 million last year with the Cubs when he was limited to 62 games because of a groin injury.

While the Yankees are looking at Garciaparra to play first, Torre deflected questions about first base, currently manned by Jason Giambi. However, Torre is convinced Garciaparra can help the Yankees.

"It was more of a general call," Torre said when asked if first base was discussed. "He would be a benefit to us, he could be very important for us."

When Torre called Mussina, he wanted the pitcher to know there was more to New York than Manhattan's pavement. The call to Garciaparra was made to make sure the former Red Sox shortstop understood he was wanted in The Bronx.

"I wanted to let him know we are interested," Torre said before leaving for Italy, where he will carry the Olympic Torch through the streets of Florence. "I didn't ask him if he was interested because he is such a private guy."

Early in the process, the Dodgers showed an interest in bringing Garciaparra, a Southern California native, to L.A. Other teams asked Tellem about Garciaparra playing the outfield, but yesterday it appeared the Indians, Astros and Yankees were the finalists.

The Indians would want Garciaparra to play right. The Astros would put him in left.

If Garciaparra is looking to rebuild his career after two disappointing seasons, the Yankees offer him the highest profile. And they have the financial means to outbid the Indians and Astros if they really want him.

According to scouts who saw Garciaparra late last season after he recovered from the groin injury, there was life in his bat. And the talent evaluators asked yesterday didn't believe Garciaparra would have problems adjusting to first base after playing short for most of his career because he is a good athlete.

MLB ERA
    Has Nomar even played 1B before?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Wouldn't it make more sense to sign a first baseman?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

AA ERA
    Nomar, AROD, and Jeter in the same infield? Wow, that woudl be nuts. I wouldn't do this if I'm New York,
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle