Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cashman denies Pavano rumors

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees Cashman denies Pavano rumors

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-314321c.html

The Yankees have been getting calls from opposing teams wanting to trade for Carl Pavano, who endured a forgettable 2005 season marred by ineffectiveness and injury. But even in a winter in which they perhaps have been hamstrung by a lack of attractive trading chips and a reluctance to deal young players such as Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang, the Yankees say they are not shopping Pavano.
    "We think he'll help stabilize our staff instead of taking away from it," GM Brian Cashman said. "Everybody's available for the right price and if there were something we thought made sense, we'd listen. But we look at Carl as a guy who will be a big contributor. That's why people are asking about him.

"I think fans probably forgot about Carl," Cashman added. "We won 95 games last season and he was supposed to be one of the horses, so getting him back will be like an acquisition in itself."

It's worth noting, of course, that Cashman has few alternatives but to say that the Yanks will rely on Pavano - how would it look to the player if the general manager says otherwise? Why would any team make a "right-price" offer if the team is down on him?
    I certainly don't think they'd be able to get much for him after last year and they should probably just keep him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Who are these people calling about Carl Pavano? My guess is no one and the Yanks are building this up.

AAA ERA
    Why wouldn't anyone want Pavano? He didn't pitch badly early on and then got hurt, I do not want to get rid of him and it would be a mistake to do so.

MLB ERA
    Other teams wouldn't want Pavano because of his high cost, injury history, and weak performance record.

If the Yankees do trade him, they won't get much back.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    How many years is he signed for? If its not too long package him and spects to the Reds for Griffey .
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AAA ERA
    I think he signed a 4 yr deal so he only has 3 left.

Rookie ERA
    Yea, but what if he gets hurt again this year? Then what will happen to him?
    http://www.tmfsl.biz/Photos/big2.jpg

Yankees=World Series Title

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Pavano didn't do well early on and Saber pretty much summed the rest up for me. Whoever is looking at Pavano needs to be fired. He was paid $9 million last year and that should be all that is needed to be said.

MLB ERA
    I think the only reason any team would be looking at him would be if they think they can trick the Yanks into paying most of his contract. Then it might be worth it...but that still doesn't change the fact that he had a career years 2 seasons ago in a pitchers park...

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I think the only reason any team would be looking at him would be if they think they can trick the Yanks into paying most of his contract. Then it might be worth it...but that still doesn't change the fact that he had a career years 2 seasons ago in a pitchers park...
    What about how well he pitched helping Fla win a WS?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Like he said, two seasons ago.

MLB ERA
    2004 and 2003 were with the Marlins in a pitcher's park as I said...but 2004 was his career year. In 2003 he was 12 - 13 with an ERA of 4.30 in a pitcher's park. In 2004 he was 18 - 8 with an ERA of 3.00...career year

He's still below .500 for his career at 61 - 64 with an ERA 4.27...looks like 2003 was in line with his career mark.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    2004 and 2003 were with the Marlins in a pitcher's park as I said...but 2004 was his career year. In 2003 he was 12 - 13 with an ERA of 4.30 in a pitcher's park. In 2004 he was 18 - 8 with an ERA of 3.00...career year

He's still below .500 for his career at 61 - 64 with an ERA 4.27...looks like 2003 was in line with his career mark.
    he was very good in the 2nd half of 2003 and outstanding in the postseason. Again he was pretty good early on until he had some injury problems then really struggled. I think if he's healthy he'll be a good pitcher for us next year and I would not give up on him.

MLB ERA
    right, I said the Yankees should keep him.

There's really no reason for the Yankees to trade him. Pavano's still a young guy who had a horrible year that the Yankees will, at best, get a bad contract and a prospect back for from a team looking to take a risk. At this point, you pray that the pitching coach can turn Carl back to his 2003-2004 form and he'll be a good #3 for a team that can afford it.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast