Thread: Tino Denied!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tino Denied!

The Yankees let Tino Martinez go Tuesday, declining their $3 million option on the popular first baseman.

Martinez returned to New York this year and hit .241 in part-time duty with 17 home runs and 49 RBI. He was a staple in the Yankees' lineup from 1996-01, helping the team to four World Series championships and five AL pennants with his clutch hitting and reliable defense.

Always a fan favorite at Yankee Stadium, he was brought back to provide insurance at first base for slugger Jason Giambi, who was coming off a 2004 season wrecked by illness and injury. And Martinez did his job, going on an early home run tear while Giambi was still struggling, a big reason the Yankees were able to recover from an 11-19 start to win their eighth consecutive AL East title.

But Giambi, now healthy, found his stroke as the summer wore on, pushing Martinez to the bench most games. Often used as a defensive replacement, the two-time All-Star finished with 303 at-bats in 131 games.

Martinez, who will turn 38 next month, went 0-for-8 in the first round of the playoffs against the Los Angeles Angels, and the Yankees were eliminated in five games.

He is a .271 career hitter with 339 homers and 1,271 RBI in 16 major league seasons.

Martinez gets a $250,000 buyout and becomes a free agent. His salary was $2.75 million last season.
    Wonder if he will resign for cheaper but the Yanks need to get a real DH instead of old guys like Sierra. Tino did well early but needs Yanks need to move on.

MLB ERA
    In what sense did he do well?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    That's what I was thinking.

AAA ERA
    He carried us back to respectability in May w/ his hot bat and then played a good defensive 1B as a backup for us the rest of the year.

Bye Tino. We never really knew you.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    So he had a good week. Big deal.
    Actually it was about a month and that was just at the plate, the rest of the year he played a solid 1B.

Bye Tino. We never really knew you
    What does that mean?

It means what it means. Tino didn't get much of an opportunity after Giambi got hot, but neither did he deserve it.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Read what I wrote one more time and you might get it.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, this is why he did well last season.

"He was a staple in the Yankees' lineup from 1996-01, helping the team to four World Series championships and five AL pennants with his clutch hitting and reliable defense."
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    No like I said he helped EARLY and that was all that was said. Thank you come again