Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees agree with Mazzone

Braves Yankees agree with Mazzone

Agree to disagree, that is.

The Yankees and Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone ended discussions today without reaching an agreement.
    Mazzone is still talking with the Orioles. The Yankees' window to speak with Mazzone was apparently up sometime yesterday and they received a 24-hour extension, but talks didn't progress far enough. If discussions broke down because of money, then the Yankees blew it. Mel Stottlemyre was the game's highest-paid pitching coach before leaving, and Mazzone is probably worth more than most managers.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    He should try and raise his salary by working off the Yanks .
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Stottlemyre was the highest paid pitching coach?

That's sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

ERA
    Call NASA
    When you win make the playoffs evey year, win multiple pennants, and multiple WS, you should be the highest paid. What is really sad, is anyone thinking otherwise.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Stottlemyre was the highest paid pitching coach?

That's sad.
    agreed fully.

AAA ERA
    I'll never understand why Yankee fans dislike Mel as if Mel is the reason we haven't won a WS since 2000. Mel takes all the blame for the failures of certain pitvhers here but when pitchers succeed(which they did alot more than they failed under Mel) he doesn't get credit. I just don't get it?

ERA
    Call NASA
    To get it, all you have to do is look at who makes the negative claims and who doesn't. There are so many losers in the world who just have to try to put down those who succeed and win. Much of it has to do with jealousy, envy, education, upbringing, and lack of baseball acumen.

ERA
    Call NASA
    YES! OH MY GOOD GOD, YES!

I just noticed I have received a second red box of negative rep. YES!

AAA ERA
    My thoughts about Mel are mixed. I think both sides of the Mel discussion have a valid point. The reason that the Yankees ripped of 4 titles in 5 year with out a doubt was the pitching. You knew with guys like Coney, Pettitte, Wells, Rocket, and El Duque you were going to be in the game, and if you gave the bully a lead, the game was over. Mel deserves all the credit in the world for that. On the other hand, the Yankees achilles heal over the last 5 years has been without a doubt the pitching. The Yankees can no long look at a series and put 2 or 3 wins in the bank just on starting pitching alone. Mel has to assume some responsability for this. I also think the front office has to answer for this as well. How do you let Andy Pettite get away? Look at what Duque and Contreras are doing in Chicago. Jon Leiber even won 17 games this year.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    My thoughts about Mel are mixed. I think both sides of the Mel discussion have a valid point. The reason that the Yankees ripped of 4 titles in 5 year with out a doubt was the pitching. You knew with guys like Coney, Pettitte, Wells, Rocket, and El Duque you were going to be in the game, and if you gave the bully a lead, the game was over. Mel deserves all the credit in the world for that. On the other hand, the Yankees achilles heal over the last 5 years has been without a doubt the pitching. The Yankees can no long look at a series and put 2 or 3 wins in the bank just on starting pitching alone. Mel has to assume some responsability for this. I also think the front office has to answer for this as well. How do you let Andy Pettite get away? Look at what Duque and Contreras are doing in Chicago. Jon Leiber even won 17 games this year.
    El Duque and Lieber were successsful here, we gave up on Contreras too early and we didn't lsoe b/c of pitching in '04 we lost b/c our bats went cold. yeah in game 7 we were battered but that was on Brown. This year w/ all the injuries Mel did an amazing job w/ our staff and he was the one who in ST wanted to keep Small around and again we didn't lose b/c of pitching we lost b/c we couldn't hit the ball. The only year our pitching completely failed us was 2002.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Mel was fed up with the Boss so he left and good for him. No one needs to work under a dickhead if they don't want to. Contreras had to leave NY to be successful and to get out of that spotlight. He has settled down for a coach more to his liking so that's that. Not getting Leiber back was dumb and so was picking up Jaret Wright. Mel had problems but they were created by someone else. Hope he finds a home and soon.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    I'll never understand why Yankee fans dislike Mel as if Mel is the reason we haven't won a WS since 2000. Mel takes all the blame for the failures of certain pitvhers here but when pitchers succeed(which they did alot more than they failed under Mel) he doesn't get credit. I just don't get it?
    YANKEE fans didn't dislike Stottlemyer, only idiots disliked him.

MLB ERA
    So Mr. S is an idiot then??

ERA
    Call NASA
    Mr.S. never dislike Mel. Show me a statement where Mr.S. stated he did not like Stottlemyer and I will retract my statement. Other than that, I will leave the dislike to the idiots.

MLB ERA
    Steinbrenner is critical (A.K.A. dislikes) of how Stottlemeyre is doing his job...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ttlemyre_x.htm

Politically, these 2 are saying all the right things about eachother in press conferences, etc.... but it is clear that Steinbrenner "disliked" how Mel Stottlemeyre was doing things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast