Thread: Matsui to leave if Torre doesn't return???

Matsui to leave if Torre doesn't return???

Read on....

Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui is facing a major career decision in the upcoming weeks, but he's waiting to see what manager Joe Torre has to say before making a move. The Yankees have reportedly offered Matsui a three-year, $31.5 million deal, but he might opt for free agency if Torre does not return. "Yes, it will be one of the factors when I think about my new contract," the outfielder told Newsday. "Of course, it is important who the manager is." Torre will hold his usual year-end news conference in the upcoming week.

Matsui would likely have plenty of suitors were he to hit the open market. We'll continue to monitor the situation.
    Link

Here's another reason why Torre should stay.

MLB ERA
    A factor is not a deciding factor. It looks more like a generic statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

I understood that, but it seems like he's pretty tight with Torre. I just got the feeling that if Torre stays, he'll stay.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Matsui would disgrace himself in the eyes of his countrymen if he leaves the YANKEES.

MLB ERA
    Not if he goes to Seattle.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

ERA
    Call NASA
    That may very well be true. I accept your view as valid for a change.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Finally, a player who will stand up for his manager and for a good damn reason. George would be an idiot to lose both of them.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Players and managers come and go. There have been, are, and always will be capable replacements.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    Matsui would disgrace himself in the eyes of his countrymen if he leaves the YANKEES.
    Could not be further from the truth. The Japanese are not Yankee fans, they are Matsui fans. The are just as fanatical about Ichiro, Tadahito Iguchi, So Taguchi, and Akinori Otsuka. While I was in Japan, Every morning on the front page of the sports section were the boxscores, not from the Yankees, just Matsui's line. Along with the other 3 ballplayers I mentioned. On the news, they would play "Yankee" highlights. All it was were Matsui's 4 or 5 at-bats. Half the time they didn't even show the score of the game. They did the same thing for the other 3 players I mentioned. The Japanese are not very big sports fans outside of baseball, and they could give a sweet crap if the Yankees are doing well, so long as they get to see Matsui play.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by joek
    Players and managers come and go. There have been, are, and always will be capable replacements.
    Wow, real insightful. Good luck trying to find a replacement for Matsui's production on the open market. Piniella will get that team to a WS

ERA
    Call NASA
    What will be, will be.