Thread: Randy Johnson Scratched From Thursday's Start

AAA ERA

Yankees Randy Johnson Scratched From Thursday's Start

from today's Post:

ACHING BACK SHELVES UNIT

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY

August 10, 2005 -- Although his back and his personality often resemble Kevin Brown, the Yankees actually need Randy Johnson in the long term. So the club made the cautious decision yesterday and scratched the Big Unit from his start tomorrow night against Texas.
    An MRI on Monday revealed inflammation of the lumbar spine, and the 41-year-old lefty will rest his aching back until his turn comes around Tuesday in Tampa. Johnson encountered back spasms in his last start Saturday in Toronto, and the back was worse the next day.

"He wanted to pitch," Joe Torre said before last night's 2-1 loss to the White Sox. "He didn't campaign.

"It felt better, he was going to go out there and pitch with it. I wanted to take that responsibility away from him.

"I didn't think it was fair for him to make the decision, because I know what the decision would've been. I said if it was October, it would be a different decision."

Johnson (11-7, 4.29 ERA in 24 starts) issued a bland statement that said, "I'm making progress toward my next start." As a Yankee spokesman was reading it before the game, Johnson appeared in the clubhouse and added, "I'm working on my range of motion, flexibility and strengthening."

Although the Bombers are being cautious, they also are flying by the seat of their pants. Johnson's unavailability leaves them without a surefire replacement, as Torre said he'd prefer to fill the need from within.

On the Yankees' press notes, the starters for the next four games are listed as "TBA, TBA, TBA, TBA" after Aaron Small, who hurls today.

If reliever Scott Proctor isn't called into duty today, Torre would prefer to use him. This way, the team wouldn't need to make a personnel decision.

If Proctor is unavailable, the club will likely recall righty Jorge DePaula from Triple-A Columbus. DePaula was held back from his Monday night start for the Clippers, but Torre doesn't want to send anybody down for DePaula unless he has to.

Proctor hasn't been told anything official, and he's not sure he much he can throw. He hasn't been a starter since the end of the 2002 season.

"I can go 100 pitches, but I might be done for a month," he joked.

For the Yankees, it makes sense to nurse Johnson's back as much as they can without hurting the club. He was signed to a two-year, $32 million extension through 2007 after being acquired last winter.

"Backs are usually something that's chronic," Torre said. "It's just something you live with."

Good game so far, but alas, I must leave. Small has been tremendous.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Just what we need a kick in the &#((.