Thread: CF Targets

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees CF Targets

Well, the prevailing thought in New York seems to be that the Yankees are going to get a center fielder because Bernie Williams is unfit to handle CF duties everyday and Melky Cabrera is not ready to be a major leaguer. So, let's take a look at the next players to possibly follow in the footsteps of Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle...and Bubba Crosby.

1. Randy Winn
    Seattle Mariners

The Good:
    Winn has been a solid producer throughout his entire career. He has above-average speed, can switch-hit, and can handle any outfield position. Winn makes $3,750,000, which of course is cheap by Yankee standards.

The Bad:
    Winn is not a model of consistency at the plate nor in the field. He is worse defensively than Crosby, with an average arm and often takes strange routes to run down fly balls. Winn has played 87 games in left field this year as opposed to 6 in center.

Odds of the Yankees acquiring him:
    3-1...Seattle has no shot at the playoffs and should be a seller by the trade deadline, plus the Yankees seem to have more interest in him that anyone else for some reason. Don't be surprised by seeing Winn in pinstripes.

2. Eric Byrnes
    Colorado Rockies

The Good:
    Byrnes is only 29 years old and a solid line-drive hitter who especially plays well against LHP (.301, .908 OPS). Like Winn, he has above-average speed. Byrnes is a good defensive player who hustles for everything and makes the occasional spectacular play.

The Bad:
    He has to face righties too. Byrnes is hitting just .254 with a .761 OPS this season in Oakland and Colorado and is just a .268 career hitter, not much of an upgrade over Bernie Williams.

The Odds:
    4-1...The Yankees like Byrnes and his hustle and could try and acquire him as part of a deal for Rockies reliever Brian Fuentes to simultaneously help the bullpen.

Time for some ice cream, so coming up next...E. Chavez! (Just not who you think) Also, a couple of Jrs. and an ex-Yankee in Post #2 of...

CENTERFIELD TRADE RUMORS
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Endy Chavez rules.

MLB ERA
    Alright, that was some good ice cream...now for some more CF Targets.

3. Gary Matthews Jr.
    Texas Rangers
    (Look at the camera, Gary!)

The Good:
    Well, let's see...above-average speed, switch-hitter...he's Randy Winn lite! Except Matthews is a much better defensive player and the best arm of the 2 aforementioned players.

The Bad:
    Matthews probably isn't durable enough to be an everyday/regular CF. He's also a .246 career hitter, and hitting .240 with a .684 OPS. Not too great.

The Odds:
    7-1...Matthews' defense is enough to intrigue the Yankees, and won't cost too much from Texas, just a decent pitcher or 2.

4. Juan Pierre
    Florida Marlins

The Good:
    Every Yankee fan knows that Pierre is one of the fastest players in the game (For more info, see 2003 World Series). He can beat out a bunt and steal bases with relative ease...but unlike Tony Womack, he can actually hit! (.307 career)

The Bad:
    Pierre's arm is, well, Bernie-esque to say the least. He also sports a .686 OPS this year...hey, that's only 2 points lower than Gary Matthews Jr.!

The Odds:
    7-1...Pierre is in a contract year and is better than the 3 aforementioned options, but Florida may be asking for too much...plus the Marlins are still afloat (pun intended) in both the NL East and Wild Card races and may want to hang on to him.

5. Alfonso Soriano
    Texas Rangers
    That's a nice picture of Sori, but if you ask me...
    This one looks a helluva lot better!

The Good:
    Let's put it this way...on pace for more HRs this year than Winn, Byrnes, Matthews Jr. and Pierre combined...by a ridiculous margin. Just compare the stats and you'll see.

The Bad:
    Strikes out too much, swings at too many pitches...(For more information, see 2003 World Series) inconsistent hitter and fielder at times.

The Odds:
    18-1...It'd be nice, but if Soriano's headed anywhere it's most likely to the Mets (*gasp*) and plus, he might be reluctant to move back to center field. Did I mention it would cost the Yankees either Eric Duncan or Robinson Cano, as well as a few other prospects? But keep the possibility open.

In the next post...another Juan from Florida, another Jr., and E. Chavez!

I would like to get the best choice at little to no cost. Matthews Jr seems a perfect choice.

I just do not think we have enough for Soriano or Pierre. I figure Pierre will go FA and we can get him then.

No way we should part with Cano let alone Duncan.

MLB ERA
    Hammer will get his wish in this post.

6. Juan Encarnacion
    Florida Marlins

The Good:
    Encarnacion is having a pretty nice season, hitting .290 with an .849 OPS and 14 HRs. He's shown flashes of extraordinary power throughout his career (I think he hit a 517 foot HR at Yankee Stadium once) and has a good arm/speed.

The Bad:
    Doesn't walk a lot, only played 7 games in center this year.

The Odds:
    18-1...nice player, but probably not available.

7. Endy Chavez
    Philadelphia Phillies

The Good:
    He's a little better than Bubba Crosby.

The Bad:
    He's a little better than Bubba Crosby.

The Odds:
    20-1

8. Ken Griffey Jr.
    Cincinnati Reds

The Good:
    .539 SLG, .287 AVG, 21 HRs...not to mention 522 career.

The Bad:
    Raise your hand if you know a more injury-prone player in baseball! (Thank god this wasn't posted on the Reds board )

The Odds:
    30-1...always Griffey-to-the-Yankees rumors this time of year. Plus he's 35 and makes $10 mil a year.

9. Andruw Jones
    Odds: 8,000,000-1

Alright, that about covers it. Maybe I'll do relievers or something later, I don't know.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It wouldn't cost Duncan nor Cano to get Soriano. Texas' infield is set for the next 10 years with Teixeira, Kinsler, Young, Blalock from 1st to 3rd. It would probably cost Wang, Hughes and another guy... Henn, Sierra, Ramirez... I wouldn't be willing to pay that either though.

I'll be honest with you... I'd be satisfied keeping Bubba in Center. He covers a shitload of ground, he can be a nice bottom of the order guy with bunting and stealing bases and what not... and you can't have an All Star at every position, as hard as George tries. And he has exercised a solid arm... which is the biggest upgrade anyone could bring over Bernie, including his pathetic range towards the wall.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Rockies can't afford to get rid of Fuentes. New York would love Byrnes' hustle and heart. He might not provide the offense they would like but he will give you 178% every night, except in the postseason. For some reason, he forgets to touch the damn plate

I want Endy Chavez. I thought he was with Washington though.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AAA ERA
    It would probably cost Wang, Hughes and another guy... Henn, Sierra, Ramirez... I wouldn't be willing to pay that either though.
    Under no circumstances would I trade Hughes. I would definitely trade Wang(assuming he is healthy) before Hughes.

As long as we have 5 starters to get us through August and September, I can agree. I mean 5 guys that can go more than 3 and a third innings.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    Under no circumstances would I trade Hughes. I would definitely trade Wang(assuming he is healthy) before Hughes.

I love when there's a rumor for, as a person on another forum calls him, Inning Endyng Chavez.

The Yankees could use an upgrade in CF from Bernie/InsideTheParkHR/Nomack, and although there are some decent options on that list, Endy isn't one of them. Why not just grab Marquis Grissom while you're at it?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Marquis Grissom and Endy can platoon.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic