Thread: Panic Time?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Panic Time?

The Yankees, who heard this week that Andy Pettitte will retire, have considered exploring trades for other left-handers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir, Wade LeBlanc, Clayton Richard and Gio Gonzalez are among the possible targets some Yankees people have "kicked around."

The Yankees will, in all likelihood, wait and hope for better things from A.J. Burnett instead of pursuing another arm, writes ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The Yankees could pursue Joe Blanton via trade or make a play for free agent Kevin Millwood, but the club seems likely to let Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, Sergio Mitre and Ivan Nova battle for rotation spots. With prospects Andrew Brackman, Dellin Betances and Manuel Banuelos on the radar, the Bronx Bombers aren't desperate for pitching, even without Pettitte.

Yankees fans may be frustrated that the front office did not sign Cliff Lee or retain Pettitte, but their club is still strong. As one American League East executive tells Joel Sherman of the New York Post, “People would love to have their problems. On paper they are still about as good as you want to see."
    I don't see who the Rosenthal states as "being kicked around" as realistic options. The Padres would have to get a lot in return for Richard or LeBlanc, the Angels feel they can still repeat so Saunders and Kazmir are not options and the A's should value GG as untouchable. Fausto Carmona and Joe Blanton are also names that have been rumored to be on the Yankees radar. I see the Yankees sticking with what they got til at least May. They will give the young guys a chance to impress and see if guys like Garcia and Colon can contribute. Only way I see them making a move earlier is if someone goes down in ST due to injury. The rotation looks weak but the Yankees will still be in the hunt for October but it will be a lot tougher this year. The Jays and O's should be improved and the Rays aren't going anywhere either. The AL East will be a lot more fun to watch than in years past.

Rookie ERA

Re: Panic Time?

Yankees panic? Surely, you jest, they always have tricks up their sleeve they WILL make something happen no matter how weak they may "look".

The last time the Yanks "panicked," they went and got A-Rod. So I'm not worried if they decided to panic.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A contract they are sure to regret.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    the Angels feel they can still repeat so Saunders...are not options.
    I don't know about the Angels, but Kevin Towers would probably be willing to trade Saunders for another utility man.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I don't see the Padres trading Richard or LeBlanc unless the Yankees are willing to overpay with talent, by the way.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I don't know about the Angels, but Kevin Towers would probably be willing to trade Saunders for another utility man.
    Saunders probably wishes he was still with the Angels. And probably wishes the Yankees would trade for him. I'm sure he has a lot of wishes, deep down inside. Even if it's for a utility man, or an all-star caliber starting pitcher.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    A contract they are sure to regret.
    I love how A-Rod's contract is still the laughing point of people who want to make fun of the Yankees, and yet all he's done is win 2 MVP's, bat .296 with a 147 OPS+ and help them win a World Series. I'm pretty sure plenty of teams would pony up that kind of money if they had it for those results. Everyone loves to hate A-Rod, but the man produces. And I'm pretty sure you can't argue with that.

I'm not panicking. Even if this year ends up being a down year, it will be frustrating but in the big scheme of things, our minors are stacked with pitching that's a year or two off, so I'm pretty confident long term the team's pitching will e fine, they just need to fill a gap year.

MLB ERA

Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna enjoy watching Russell Martin handle A.J. Burnett, Phillip Hughes, and their prized pitching prospects especially if their control is still a work in progress. Calling every damn pitch low and away, low and inside. Not to mention his laziness over blocking balls in the dirt.

"Pitch in the dirt skips past Martin... AND THERE'S ANOTHER BRAIN FART... FROM J MART!!"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I love how A-Rod's contract is still the laughing point of people who want to make fun of the Yankees, and yet all he's done is win 2 MVP's, bat .296 with a 147 OPS+ and help them win a World Series. I'm pretty sure plenty of teams would pony up that kind of money if they had it for those results. Everyone loves to hate A-Rod, but the man produces. And I'm pretty sure you can't argue with that.
    Technically he's only won the WS since his new contract, no MVPs. The laughing point will be in a couple of years when his numbers drop off

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And I can't believed I spaced on Saunders being in AZ

MLB ERA

The Yankees are now seeing that their money won't buy everything or everyone. Some players seem to be happy take less money to play under less pressure. The Yankees are going to have to either over-pay for a pitcher, or be satisfied with the guys they have.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon