Thread: How much will they overpay?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees How much will they overpay?

The Yankees are likely to offer Derek Jeter a three-year deal worth $45-60MM, according to
    Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com. One of Matthews’ sources, someone intimately familiar with knowledge of the team’s negotiations with agent Casey Close, says the Yankees are prepared to “overpay” the shortstop.

No team other than the Yankees has shown interest in Jeter, according to Matthews’ sources. That's not a surprise, considering that Jeter seems likely to re-sign in New York. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote Friday that "Jeter is still Jeter, the Yankees are still the Yankees and no other team will be a factor" [in the negotiations]. ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported that the Yankees are willing to pay Jeter more than any other team would, even though they aren’t going to invest recklessly in their captain.

MLBTR's Tim Dierkes predicted a four-year $65MM deal between Jeter and the Yankees.
    Only the Yankees can give so much for a player leaning more towards mediocrity with each passing year. Not one other team is even interested in Jeter and yet they are still going to give Jeter more than he should, a lot more. Not to mention Jeter will most likely have to find a new position soon if the Yankees want to have good defense from the top defensive position. Jeter has already earned and been paid a huge contract so there is no sense in overpaying him. $10 million a year seems more like it and even that is probably more than he should make.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Re: How much will they overpay?

The thing is that Jeter is the face of the Yankees right now so the Yankees have to do what they have to do and that is overpay for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Who else is going to take him and pay him? The Yankees have the deck stacked against Jeter and they're still going to give him more than they should.

MLB ERA

Well, allegedly the Giants and Brian Sabean are going to "keep an eye" on the Jeter negotiations. I don't think any other team will come anywhere near this offer, but the Yankees are in a dangerous situation, because the longer he doesn't re-sign, the more it looks like they're lowballing him for all he's done. He doesn't deserve the money for his performance anymore, but they need to be loyal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That is pure speculation about Sabean keeping an eye on Jeter. Sabean knows we need to beef up the defense at SS behind our great pitching staff.

MLB ERA

Still, the point remains that the Yankees cannot waste time, let alone risk some other team offering money for name value.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They can wait all offseason, Jeter's not going anywhere.

MLB ERA

I'd tend to agree, but that's how NY is. If you don't pay your guy ASAP, the media makes it out as though you're lowballing him and disrespecting him. The media tends to get the back of the players and not the team.

MLB ERA

Jeter won't be going anywhere. To be honest, this is the one time (and only time I can think of) I wouldn't have a problem handing Jeter a blank check. I'd trust him with that. He needs to end up a Yankee. We'll pay him whatever he wants for 3 years, he'll suck the last 2 of those years, but he'll be a Yankee, and that's what counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Tuesday that Derek Jeter "should test the market" if he doesn't approve of the club's three-year, $45 million offer.
    Finally, Cashman is showing some balls Jeter's not going to win this round. Where was this Cashman during the ARod and Sabathia negotiations?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am amazed at how many journalist are siding with Jeter. Its ****ing pathetic!! I love what Cahsman said and how he is going about this.

MLB ERA

Jeter has been quite an asset to the Yankees, but his days of being worth over $10M/year are past. He wouldn't get this contract from anyone else.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Yankees and Derek Jeter have agreed to a three-year contract worth $15MM-17MM annually, according to George A. King III of The New York Post. The deal will be finalized later today and includes a fourth year option King describes as "tricky" because it can neither vest nor is a club option. It is linked to what happens during the first three years of the contract. Jack Curry of the YES Network adds that Jeter agreed to defer money, which helps the Yankees with their luxury tax situation going forward.
    Finally!! I was tired of hearing about it. Jeter is now overpaid by about double.