Thread: Alex Rodriguez for MVP?

Yankees Alex Rodriguez for MVP?

No matter what you think of the guy or what his season stats are one could make a strong argument that Alex Rodriguez deserves to be in the discussion about MVP, at least up to this point of the season. I will start off with the most telling statistic: Yankees during AROD injury were 13-15 and post injury 41-22. Yes AROD's stats are sub-par to be considered the so called "MVP", but the Yankees have the best record in baseball since May 8th because of AROD. His presence in the lineup, whether he is batting .250 or .350 is unparalleled to almost any player in the MLB (except maybe Pujols). He creates opportunities for his teammates because he is feared by pitchers across the league.

Before AROD came back from injury, Mark Teixeira was completely lost and understandably so. With no true threat behind him, Teixeira hit 3 HRs while batting .200 with a .738 OPS. However, once AROD was back, Mark Teixeira became the player the Yankees thought he would be . In AROD's first month back, Teixeira hit 13 HRs while batting .330 clip with a 1.138 OPS.

There is no other player in the AL that has the same impact on their team.
    Last edited by bwitty24; 07-21-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Re: Alex Rodriguez for MVP?

no he sux and chokes all teh time when it matters of rthe team. jeterff or mvp.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

OK well bwitty said not to reply yet, but I'm going to anyways.

Is he the Yankees MVP? I think there's no question. Is he the league MVP? Idk....he still has a .250 batting average. It's going to be near impossible to win the MVP with those numbers. A lot of guys have way better numbers. Including Mark Teixeira who is on his very own team.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    OK well bwitty said not to reply yet, but I'm going to anyways.

Is he the Yankees MVP? I think there's no question. Is he the league MVP? Idk....he still has a .250 batting average. It's going to be near impossible to win the MVP with those numbers. A lot of guys have way better numbers. Including Mark Teixeira who is on his very own team.
    I would definitely say that he's got a good case to be the most VALUABLE player. Technically, yes, he should win the award just for the impact he had on Tex. But the problem is, that isn't REALLY what the voters are choosing. They're really picking the most OUTSTANDING player, which A-rod is not.

MLB ERA

Agreed LJ. If I had to pick a player this season that has had the most valuable impact on their team, A-Rod would probably be top 3. But since numbers are a huge factor in determining these awards, I would say right now he's not in the running. Although that could certainly change.

MLB ERA

Agreed LJ. If I had to pick a player this season that has had the most valuable impact on their team, A-Rod would probably be top 3. But since numbers are a huge factor in determining these awards, I would say right now he's not in the running.
    Exactly. The problem is in the misconception about what the award actually is. We call it an MVP, when in reality, it's all statistic based. So, in order to win, you don't have to be particularly valuable (see A-rod in 2003 or whatever year the Rangers finished last), you just have to have outstanding numbers. Big difference there.

MLB ERA

Well, it's not ALL statistic based. Sometimes they do let the right factors sway the vote. But not always.

MLB ERA

Well, it's not ALL statistic based. Sometimes they do let the right factors sway the vote. But not always.
    It's pretty heaviily statistic based though. I mean, if it's particularly close, they'll look at how good the player's team is...but in general, it's more about who puts up better numbers than how important he is to his team's success...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    no he sux and chokes all teh time when it matters of rthe team. jeterff or mvp.
    Right, just like your Greg Maddux in the post-season.

Finished. Not as good as I was planning on it being.