Thread: Could Posada Be Part Of The Reason For The High ERA?

MLB ERA

Yankees Could Posada Be Part Of The Reason For The High ERA?

One unsettling fact for the Yankees is the difference when Jorge Posada catches. With Posada behind the plate, the Yankees’ pitchers have a 6.31 E.R.A. The combined E.R.A. with Francisco Cervelli, Jose Molina and Kevin Cash is 3.81.

Posada has caught four starts by Chien-Ming Wang, whose job status is now evaluated on a game-by-game basis. Even removing those starts, the staff’s E.R.A. with Posada is still high, at 5.47.

Posada, 37, has handled many exceptional pitchers in his career. Although some, like Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina, have preferred other catchers, Posada does not have to apologize for his résumé. Posada takes his job seriously and is an emotional engine of the team.

Yet Burnett, in particular, seems to struggle with him. In Burnett’s four starts pitching to Posada, opponents have batted .330. In nine starts with the other catchers, the average is .223.

When he lost a six-run lead in Boston in April, Burnett questioned the pitch selection, though he blamed himself, not Posada. Asked Sunday about the difference in pitching to the rookie Cervelli, Burnett gave a careful but revealing answer.

“I think it’s just a matter of — I don’t know if it’s the catcher — but we threw curveballs in fastball counts, we had them looking for something and they had no idea what was coming, I don’t think,” Burnett said. “That’s huge.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sp...tml?ref=sports

Really interesting article and I really enjoyed it. It kind of makes you think to whether or not Posada should be getting some of the blame for some of our pitchers high ERA. Posada obviously is a great catcher but maybe these other guys should play a little more. Not a whole lot more but maybe Burnett doesn't like throwing with Posada so in that case maybe Joe could slot some else in behind the plate. Cervelli hasn't been doing god awful and he is also pretty solid as a catcher. What do you guys think, should Posada be getting more days off?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Re: Could Posada Be Part Of The Reason For The High ERA?

Buckfoston, saying Cervelli hasn't been god awful is such a huge understatement. In my mind he's hit and caught his way onto a somewhat permenant position on this major league roster. He's been nothing but clutch for this team.

As a former catcher, I know how important calling a game is, but at the same time, in the end the pitcher throws the pitch. I don't know really what I think about this yet, but I do take it with a grain of salt. It is very interesting to see though, and shouldn't be taken too lightly either.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.