Thread: Yanks vs. Injuns 5/29-6/1

MLB ERA

Yankees Yanks vs. Injuns 5/29-6/1

First thing's first: Posada's back tonight! Jorge Posada to rejoin Yankees on Friday after playing in extended games - ESPN

(The move should be to demote Cash...he just isn't as good as Cervelli, who earned a roster spot IMO)

Series Preview:
    Friday, May 29
    Andy Pettitte, LHP (4-1, 4.30) @ Cliff Lee, LHP (2-5, 3.04)

Scouting Report:
    Yankees: Pettitte looked dominant at times during his last start. If only he could have two pitches back, he may have earned the win. Pettitte allowed two home runs to the Phillies on Saturday -- including a three-run shot by John Mayberry Jr. -- which accounted for all four runs he allowed in seven innings. The left-hander surrendered just five hits in taking a no-decision. The Yankees came back to win the game, saving Pettitte from his first loss since April 26.

Indians: Lee didn't work quickly or ahead quite as often as he usually does, but he nonetheless turned in a quality start in a no-decision against the Reds on Sunday. In six innings, Lee allowed three runs on eight hits with a walk and four strikeouts. It was another outing that would have resulted in a win for Lee had he enjoyed more early run support. Lee earned one of his two wins on the season when facing the Yankees on April 16, giving up a run on seven hits with three walks and four strikeouts in six innings.

Saturday, May 30
    CC Sabathia, LHP (4-3, 3.42) @ Fausto Carmona, RHP (2-4, 6.42)

Scouting Report:
    Yankees: Sabathia continued his dominant ways in his last start, allowing just three runs in eight strong innings to the Phillies on Sunday. And that was his worst of his last four outings. Since May 8, Sabathia has surrendered just six runs in his 32 innings (1.69 ERA) and has been every bit the ace the Yankees were hoping for. His next start could be interesting, because Sabathia is making his first appearance in Cleveland since being traded by the Indians last season.

Indians: Carmona's control problems once again got the best of him in his worst start of the season Monday against the Rays. In just 1 1/3 innings of work, he allowed five runs on three hits with five walks and three strikeouts. In one stretch in the second inning, he threw 16 of 19 pitches for balls, walking four straight batters. The command woes have been a problem for Carmona for a year now, as he's looked less and less like the dominant No. 2 pitcher who won 19 games in '07. Buoyed by 22 runs of support, Carmona gave up four runs on six hits with four walks and a strikeout over six innings in a win over the Yankees on April 18.

Sunday, May 31
    Phil Hughes, RHP (3-2, 5.16) @ Carl Pavano, RHP (5-4, 5.50)

Scouting Report:
    Yankees: Hughes will try for his third consecutive victory on Sunday as he comes off a dominant outing against the Rangers in Arlington, limiting the opposition to three hits over eight scoreless innings. It marked Hughes' second scoreless start of the season, as he also tossed six shutout frames on April 28 at Detroit. Hughes allowed three earned runs or less in five of his six starts this season. He last pitched against Cleveland in Game 3 of the 2007 American League Division Series, when he relieved Roger Clemens and hurled 3 2/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the Yankees' only postseason victory that year.

Indians: Pavano only seems to get stronger and more effective as his comeback season rolls along. Further and further removed from his "American Idle" days in four injury-plagued years with the Yankees, the big right-hander has gone 5-1 with a 3.58 ERA over his Past six starts. Pavano's last outing against the Rays on Tuesday was arguably his strongest start of the season. In seven innings, he allowed just one run -- on a Carlos Pena solo shot in the seventh -- on four hits with two walks and six strikeouts. Pavano was also impressive when he faced the Yanks on April 19. In that game, he gave up just a run on four hits over six innings but didn't get a decision.

Monday, June 1
    TBA @ Jeremy Sowers, LHP (1-2, 7.71)

Scouting Report:
    Indians: Sowers will return to the rotation after getting called back up to the big leagues and serving a brief stint in the bullpen. He was impressive against the Rays on Memorial Day, tossing five scoreless innings in his first career relief appearances. Sowers, who was 0-2 with a 12.00 ERA in two spot starts in May, will have to prove he can still have that type of success in a starting role. He is 1-1 with a 6.60 ERA in three career starts against the Yankees.

MLB ERA

Re: Yanks vs. Injuns 5/29-6/1

Yankees should take 3/4.

Keys to the series:
    Pettite...just give us a QS. We should be able to hit up their bullpen if/after we chase Lee. I don't want to be pessimistic, but lefty aces have really given us fits this year.
    CC just needs to pitch well, and I think he will, considering he's back in Cleveland and he has always pitched well there.
    Hughes needs to do enough to win again...we'll go crazy on Pavano, because, hey; we ****ing have to.
    As far as the last game Joba/Wang should be able to pitch deep enough for us to beat Sowers too.

The bullpen needs rest right now, but, like I've said all year, if we don't walk anyone and throw strikes, we'll be fine.

Posada needs to tune his swing.
    Teixeira needs to take advantage of the lefties since the predominantly lefty order won't be able to as well.
    Cano needs to table set and take pitches. Walks are cool too, Robbie.
    Jeter...well he needs to keep hitting. Nothing much more to say.
    ARod (see Teixeira)
    Johnny Damon needs to steal a couple bases. VMart and Shoppach are good, but that runner in scoring position might be big this series.
    Brett Gardner needs to field perfectly and master situational hitting/bunting. He's not what Melky's been for us, but with the lineup constructed the way it is he can succeed.
    Swisher needs to continue to look at pitches. He's a streaky hitter and always has been, but the OBP is fine, and that's really important in his case.

Cervelli/Cash (see Gardner)
    Ramiro Pena just needs to avoid GIDP and other things like that. Don't kill us in the lineup, because you're an asset in the field and on the basepaths.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cash sucks even with his 2 good games in Texas...and Angel Berroa should be released from baseball.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I 100% agree Cash should be sent down. Cervelli has really proven himself here, at least until Molina comes back, and personally I think there's a good argument for him to be taking Molina's place, but it won't happen.

Also, Berroa should be shot, and his body should be sent down to AAA for a backup outfielder. Like one of the 3 in Scranton/WB that are hitting over .300.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think ARod and Mariano enjoyed themselves quite a bit last night at the Cleveland/Orlando game.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

So did CC, Joba, and Brian Bruney
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They had room for CC?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I 100% agree Cash should be sent down. Cervelli has really proven himself here, at least until Molina comes back, and personally I think there's a good argument for him to be taking Molina's place, but it won't happen.

Also, Berroa should be shot, and his body should be sent down to AAA for a backup outfielder. Like one of the 3 in Scranton/WB that are hitting over .300.
    Cash got sent down...

Also, I hate Berroa too, but carrying ANOTHER outfielder would be stupid. We have 4 already, 5 if you count Matsui.

I think adding another reliever would be more important.

MLB ERA

Great win last night.

Pettite pitched well.

AAA ERA

I know it's not even June yet and meaningless at this point but it feels like things are back to normal w/ the Yanks being in 1st place. There's a long way to go and again it's meaningless at this point but it sure beats the holes we dug ourselves the last few years.