Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees vs Rays Series Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankees vs Rays Series Thread

I was shocked to come home and see on Baseball Tonight that John Kruk said the exact same about Wang I was telling one of my customer who stopped and watched the game with me. He is no where near the Wang we all saw two years ago and his pitches are just flat. I dropped him immediately from my fantasy team!! I think he will regain his form but it might take a while, a good while.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Matt Garza has some sick curveballs.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It's Nick Swisher's world, we're all just living in it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    It's Nick Swisher's world, we're all just living in it.
    Swisher has been amazing, maybe he can start in place of Wang on Saturday?

Burnett was great last night, outside of CC's first start and Wang our SP has been excellent. It was nice to see AJ protecting his hitters as well. Great game. Hopefully we can get another good outing from Andy today and come home from this long road trip above .500.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Burnett has really looked good so far in his two starts.

A.J. Burnett and the Nick Swisher signings has been paying off BIG TIME.

Yankees Re: Yankees vs Rays Series Thread

Rubber match tonight! Winner will go to 3rd place behind the Orioles and Blue Jays.

It will go down as Mark Teixeira's first game-winning hit in a Yankees uniform, that lazy fly ball he hit to left field in the eighth inning on Tuesday night. And you know what? It felt pretty good.

"Sac flies aren't sexy," Teixeira said, "but they get the job done."

OK, maybe it won't be a moment encapsulated in the new Yankees museum set for opening in the Bronx. But symbolism aside, Teixeira's sacrifice fly off Rays left-hander J.P. Howell allowed the Yankees to exhale a little bit about their $180 million first baseman.

Teixeira had missed three games with tendinitis in his left wrist and Yankees manager Joe Girardi expressed some trepidation in sending Teixeira up to bat right-handed against Howell. But the job got done, offering hope that Teixeira may be past that blip.

"The good thing is that I had both left-handed and right-handed at-bats tonight and I can swing the bat, so that's a good thing," Teixeira said. "He's a tough pitcher. He has a lot of different pitches and kind of a funky motion. It was a battle to get the ball in the air there."

Teixeira's presence in the lineup -- already vital with the Yankees playing sans three-time MVP Alex Rodriguez -- could become even more important pending the results of Xavier Nady's MRI examination on Wednesday in Tampa, Fla.

Nady is scheduled to enter the tube at 8 a.m. ET to gather more information about his right elbow, which shot painfully when he returned a seventh-inning single to the infield on Tuesday evening.

As for Teixeira, he believes that he is out of the woods now, a feeling reinforced by that sacrifice fly to left.

"I've just got to fight through it and it will be fine," Teixeira said. "There's no damage in there. It's just like when you bang something, you get a bruise and you've got to give it a couple of days to get well."

Pitching matchup
    NYY: LHP Andy Pettitte (1-0, 1.29 ERA)
    The veteran left-hander fired seven strong innings in his season debut, pitching the Yankees past the Royals in a 4-1 victory on Friday at the newly remodeled Kauffman Stadium. Pettitte showed no ill effects from an extra day of rest following his final exhibition start on April 4 in New York, walking one and striking out six. He used all four of his pitches and relied more on his breaking balls when catcher Jorge Posada suggested his curveball see more use. Pettitte was 2-2 with a 4.13 ERA in four starts last season vs. Tampa Bay and 15-4 with a 3.63 ERA in his career.

TB: RHP Andy Sonnanstine (0-1, 9.64 ERA)
    Sonnanstine got roughed up in his first outing of the season Friday at Baltimore, allowing five runs on eight hits in 4 2/3 innings. Sonnanstine can be a master of deception, employing an array of pitches thrown from all different angles. But he has learned to primarily use his fastball to set up the other pitches. Among those other pitches, Sonnanstine has added a changeup to his repertoire this spring, which he is fast gaining confidence in the more he masters it. The right-hander's mantra is to dispatch of hitters one way or the other in three pitches, which allows him to get deeper into the games and save the bullpen. Sonnanstine is 2-1 with a 6.08 ERA in four career starts against the Yankees; he is 8-9 with a 5.19 ERA in 25 career starts at Tropicana Field.

Tidbits
    Nick Swisher has a team-high four home runs and has nine extra-base hits this season, raising his batting average to .458. ... Brett Gardner set a career high Tuesday with three runs scored. ... Derek Jeter hit his 208th career home run on Tuesday, tying Alex Rodriguez for 11th on the Yankees' all-time home run list. ... Due to inclement weather, A-Rod worked out at George M. Steinbrenner Field on Tuesday, hitting soft toss and fielding ground balls in the batting cages. Girardi said he was impressed with A-Rod's lateral movement. ... According to the Elias Sports Bureau, on Monday, Swisher became the first Yankee to homer and record a strikeout as a pitcher in the same game since Lindy McDaniel on Sept. 28, 1972, at Detroit.
    More big hits to come from Teixeira | yankees.com: News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Longoria will not be playing this game.

MLB ERA

Burnett was fantastic last night. Great stuff, changing his pitches and location around, huge break on his curveball...this is the AJ Burnett the Yankees thought they were signing. So far everything this guy has said and done has been great. Of course the key is his health, as everyone knows. But it's an extremely encouraging start.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rays have a makeshift lineup tonight. If the Yankees can't win this rubber match, then all hope is lost.

Without Longoria, they're sending out there...

Upton CF
    Crawford LF
    Burrell DH
    Pena 1B
    Aybar 3B
    Bartlett SS
    Kapler RF
    Hernandez C
    Iwamura 2B

Sonnanstine P

4 or 5 automatic outs there.

MLB ERA

Here's tonight's lineup for the Yankees...

Jeter SS
    Damon LF
    Teixeira 1B
    Swisher RF
    Posada DH
    Cano 2B
    Gardner CF
    Pena 3B
    Molina C

Another start for Molina, interesting...Gardner dropped to 7th after a good performance in the leadoff spot, though it makes sense because Damon is back.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Amongst the retarded Nick Swisher talk, the Yanks won a game. They won a tough one against the Rays 3-2. Cano hit a two run bomb and Jeter got the go ahead hit. Rivera saved the game and Yankees take the series.

MLB ERA

Good win today and a good series win. Its nice to have a little momentum going into the opening of the new Yankee Stadium tomorrow. Hopefully this can carry over and we can pick up a win in the new park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12