Thread: Yankees vs the Orange Ratbirds Series Thread

All Star
    Rookie ERA

Re: Yankees vs the Orange Ratbirds Series Thread

Yanks lose! 10-5 O's.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

On the bright side, Matsui hit a homerun in ARod's spot.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Go Rays View Post
    Yanks lose! 10-5 O's.
    We will win the next 2 hopefully, Go yankees!

MLB ERA

$441M spent on free agents and can't even win the first game, interesting.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    WE GOT A BALLGAME. He will be fine. Lest you forget he had a 13+ ERA after 4 starts last year. We all know how that ended
    It's clear he just cannot handle the pressure of NY

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    It's ridiculous, isn't it? This team should have gone 162-0, at worst 161-1 but now the pressure is on to win their next 161.

Lol, Yankee haters act like they won the lottery already, wow.

Yankee haters are the WORST group of people in the MLB

MLB ERA

Look at the bright side, AJ hasn't gotten hurt yet ( 1 down, 161 to go)
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Yankees Re: Yankees vs the Orange Ratbirds Series Thread

April has not necessarily been kind to the Yankees in recent memory, as the club looks to avoid another slow start and post the first winning record in that month since 2006.

Following Tuesday's off-day, the Yankees return to action on Wednesday against the Orioles at Camden Yards, attempting to even their regular-season record. Opening Day may have been a dud, but the Yankees are ready to try and get it right for the rest of the month.

"I think there's a lot of optimism here with our team, but it's a long season," Derek Jeter said. "Hopefully, we can get off to a good start -- the last few years, we've dug ourselves a little bit of a hole. As long as people stay healthy, I like our chances."

Wednesday will mark the first regular-season start for right-hander Chien-Ming Wang since he limped off the field on June 15 in Houston, where he injured his right foot while running the bases in an Interleague contest.

The 29-year-old Wang was 1-2 with a 4.15 ERA in six official Spring Training starts against big league competition, coming back strong from the injury and recording his only victory while pitching the first game at the new Yankee Stadium on Friday.

His presence is a welcome one in the No. 2 slot for New York, having won 46 games over the past three seasons, including back-to-back 19-victory campaigns in 2006 and '07.

"That's a lot of games from a starter," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He was one of the innings guys as well, and we didn't have that. He was a big loss last year. I've been happy with what I've seen from him, whether it's been pitching or physically. I have a good feeling about his season."

Though CC Sabathia was unable to find his command on Opening Day and Mark Teixeira took an 0-for-4 collar in front of his booing home state of Maryland, the Yankees still believe they have a club that will go toe-to-toe with any other staff in the American League.

"I think you have to go through it," Jeter said. "Everybody struggles. I don't care if you're a new guy or you've been here for a long time, there's periods when you're going to do good and periods when you're going to do bad. It's just how you deal with the bad times, because here, everything is under a microscope a little bit more."

After Wang gets the game ball on Wednesday, A.J. Burnett will start Thursday against Baltimore, with the rotation rounded out by Andy Pettitte and Joba Chamberlain.

"We have a five-man rotation with a good chance to win every night, and that's the way we want it," catcher Jorge Posada said. "Whoever is on the mound, we have a pretty good chance to keep the opposition down and score some runs."

Pitching matchup
    NYY: RHP Chien-Ming Wang (8-2, 4.07 ERA in 2008)
    Wang made 15 starts for the Yankees last season before his year ended due to a right foot injury suffered while running the bases in Houston. The blow was crushing to the Yankees, as they were 12-3 in games the right-handed sinkerballer had started. Despite missing much of last year, Wang has won 46 games since 2006, tied for third most in the AL and eighth most in the Majors. His .754 combined winning percentage over the past three seasons is the second highest in the big leagues, behind only Boston's Jon Lester. Wang did not face the Orioles in 2008 and is 3-1 with a 5.13 ERA in nine career games (eight starts) against Baltimore.

BAL: RHP Koji Uehara (Major League debut)
    Uehara, a former ace of the Yomiuri Giants, will make his Major League debut in the second game of the season. Uehara is undefeated in international competition in his career and was highly decorated in his homeland, winning his league's equivalent of the Rookie of the Year Award once and the Cy Young Award twice. Now, Uehara has come to the United States for a new challenge and will immediately slot in as one of Baltimore's most experienced pitchers. Uehara, who learned a circle changeup in Spring Training, is known as an extreme strike thrower.

Tidbits
    Wang was 5-0 with a 2.18 ERA in seven starts away from New York in 2008. ... The Yankees are 30-8 in Wang's last 38 starts dating back to June 1, 2007. ... The Yankees will be part of four home openers in 2009, having opened Baltimore and also taking part in openers in Kansas City, Tampa Bay and New York. They are the only big league team to have that many this year. ... New York's Opening Series rotation in Baltimore has a combined 15-2 record and 4.06 ERA vs. the Orioles. ... Nick Swisher stroked a pinch-hit double in his first Yankees at-bat on Monday.
    Yanks show glee over Wang's return | yankees.com: News

GO YANKEES!

MLB ERA

LMAO I love how everyone jumps all over the free agent signings after 1 game.

O NO WE LOST A GAME! WE'RE DOOMED FOREVER AND EVER TO THE FIERY PITS OF HELL!

Get your shit together people. I can't stand it when people do this. They act like we're supposed to win ever game. I hate to say it but I agree with Bronxbombers on this one. Yankee haters really have no logic to their arguments, they just blow their load every time something minor happens that they can criticize.

Like this morning, when Joba said Yogi was smaller than the front of a car. O NO! HE JUST INSULTED THE BERA FAMILY AS A WHOLE, AND AS A RESULT SHOULD BE SUSPENDED! You know what? Yogi laughed it off like it was nothing. Because it was nothing. It was a joke, and it's probably true. It should never have been on ESPN in the first place.

I hate Yankee haters. They are among the stupidest groups of people on the planet.

In the words of the great Jim Calhoun, "GET SOME FACTS, AND COME BACK AND SEE ME"
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought Wang was going to be the third starter?

MLB ERA

I thought so too, but I guess they changed AJ and Wang. I think both of them are true #2 starters, so it doesn't really make a difference. I also think intricate rotation order discrepancies like that are overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Another terrible start from the Yankees starter and it really sucks since Wang was my fantasy pitcher along with Greinke tonight. Wang gave up seven and he is out.

Wang was crap today!

AAA ERA

Not off to a good start. So far the starting pitching has been atrocious.

Yankees Re: Yankees vs the Orange Ratbirds Series Thread

It may be coming a little earlier than anyone would have expected, but A.J. Burnett will jump right into the fire for the Yankees on Thursday, attempting to step up as the club's stopper.
    Making his debut after signing a five-year, $82.5 million contract with New York, the 32-year-old right-hander will be called upon to halt the Yankees' losing ways and avoid a season-opening series sweep at the hands of the Orioles.
    Before leaving Camden Yards on Wednesday to rest for the afternoon start, Burnett said that he anticipated there would be some butterflies before he walked to the mound, a feeling that he said he would welcome as the righty begins what he hopes will be a prosperous journey in pinstripes.
    "As the night goes on, I'm sure they'll grow a little," Burnett said. "If not, something's wrong."
    Burnett was 3-0 with a 3.09 ERA in six spring appearances for the Bombers, making five starts and tossing four innings of scoreless relief in a tuneup start at the new Yankee Stadium on Saturday.
    The Yankees liked Burnett's ability to handle American League East opponents, where he is 26-8 with a 3.08 ERA in 45 career starts. More importantly, they love the idea that they won't have to face him anymore -- Johnny Damon and Derek Jeter were among the players who openly lobbied management to snap Burnett up as a free agent.
    "He's got very good stuff, and he knows how to control the running game and field his position," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "You expect him to compete at a high level. He's not a rookie anymore, and he's not a young pitcher anymore. You don't necessarily think of him as how he's going to handle a situation."
    A Maryland resident, Burnett said that he would have to leave at least 30 passes at the Camden Yards ticket office for his personal cheering section, including relatives of his wife, Karen.
    Saying repeatedly during the spring that he took many lessons from his days in Toronto and from watching ace Roy Halladay, Burnett said that he is ready to put that education to the test.
    "I think I put myself in a hole when I signed my Toronto deal, trying to put too much pressure on myself and live up to expectations," Burnett said. "I think that I'm here for a reason and these guys know what I have to offer. My job is to take the ball every five days and do what I can to win. If I do that, I don't see a problem."
    <!-- CHANGE c_id for team-specific probables page--> Pitching matchup
    NYY: RHP A.J. Burnett (18-10, 4.07 ERA in 2008 with the Jays)
    Burnett makes his Yankees debut after signing a five-year contract as a free agent in December. He recorded new career highs in wins, innings pitched (221 1/3) and strikeouts (231) for the Blue Jays last year, leading the AL in strikeouts and strikeouts per nine innings (9.39). Since 2000, he is tied for sixth in the Majors in shutouts (nine), and he ranks ninth in lowest opponents' average (.235). Burnett was 2-1 with a 9.82 ERA in three starts vs. Baltimore in 2008, and he's 7-1 with a 4.97 ERA in nine career starts against the Orioles.
    BAL: RHP Alfredo Simon (0-0, 6.23 ERA in 2008)
    Simon, a reclamation project out of the Mexican League, arrived late to Spring Training due to visa issues in his native Dominican Republic and then set about decimating the competition. Simon pitched to a 1.13 ERA in four spring appearances to cement a rotation slot, hurdling over a host of other competitors. The right-hander was the first signee of Baltimore's renewed commitment to international signings, pitching for the Orioles late last season.
    Tidbits
    Girardi said there was a "good chance" Jose Molina would catch Burnett instead of Jorge Posada on Thursday, it being a day game after a night game. ... Yankees starters Chien-Ming Wang and CC Sabathia have thrown a combined eight innings with 17 hits, 13 earned runs, eight walks and no strikeouts through two games. ... Right-hander Dan Giese was claimed on waivers by the Oakland A's on Wednesday. Giese, 31, was 1-3 with a 3.53 ERA in 20 games for New York last year, but he did not make the team out of Spring Training.
    Burnett's debut comes at important time | yankees.com: News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast