Thread: Batting first and leading off... Derek Jeter

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Batting first and leading off... Derek Jeter

Per Rotoworld:
    New York Newsday reports that Derek Jeter will bat leadoff for the Yankees this season, with Johnny Damon hitting second.
    Jeter has hit atop the order plenty during his career, but has been primarily a No. 2 hitter, including hitting there in 134 of his 149 starts last season. Manager Joe Girardi explained the switch by saying that he's been impressed with how Damon has looked in the No. 2 hole this spring. Newsday speculates that the changes signal that Brett Gardner will beat out Melky Cabrera for the center field job, because by moving Jeter to leadoff the Yankees would avoid having back-to-back lefties in Gardner and Damon.
    Obviously I don't know Jeter like you all (or the style of baseball the Yankees will play with their new look lineup,) but outside of the obvious decline in speed he would get from getting older, many of his baserunning and speed indicating statistics did tail downward (2B/3B, OOB, BT, SB, etc.) Jeter hits and can still get on-base at a decent clip so it isn't a total head scratcher, but more of my intent with this post was in regards to him possibly declining further this season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Batting first and leading off... Derek Jeter

I like Damon leading off and Jeter hitting second but maybe Joe feels like he needs to shake things up. And that will be the last time I refer to him at Joe. Joe Torre is the only Joe I know. Girardi will likely switch the back sometime in April.

MLB ERA

I think Damon is the better leadoff hitter. Damon has more speed, and showed last year that he can still hit. Jeter may be younger and in less of a decline, but the only rationale for this is the idea that something has to be changed for fix the "failure" that was last year(I say failure because that's what it is in the eyes of a Steinbrenner)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Isn't batting first considered leading off?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

I think he's mocking Bob Shepard who repeats the jersey number of a batter (ie: "Now batting, the shortstop, #2, Derek Jeter....#2")

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Not sure how I feel about this...didn't see it coming to say the least. I don't think it can hurt that much though.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I don't think it'll hurt the team, I'm just not sure that it's the BEST thing for the team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I just think it will limit Damon's stolen bases and speed in general.