Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Centerfield

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Centerfield

Who cares about salary at the end of the day? The best man should play! I had no problem with the Giants sending Barry Zito's ass to the bullpen. All he did was skip a start but I had no problem with it. Yankees didn;t spend on a bench last year, this year they will. Its a good thing.

MLB ERA

Fans don't, but ownership cares about spending money on a guy who won't play as much. Hence why expert pinch hitters(Matt Franco, Lenny Harris, Mark Sweeney) never make much money.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Fans don't, but ownership cares about spending money on a guy who won't play as much. Hence why expert pinch hitters(Matt Franco, Lenny Harris, Mark Sweeney) never make much money.
    Fans do care but if managers want to keep their jobs, they better not care. Their job is giving their team the best opportunity to win every game. Its not about salaries.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

God forbid Mark Sweeney commanding big bucks.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

And fans only wanna win, they don't care how much it costs. But owners typically don't wanna pay 6 million dollars for a bench player. Obviously the Yankees can afford it, the question is if it's worth more to them to keep him than to deal either him or Matsui and free up space for all to start.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With as many question marks as the Yankees have, it would be wise to hold on to Swisher. A guy who can play DH, OF and 1B is a valuable guy to have on your bench.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    And fans only wanna win, they don't care how much it costs. But owners typically don't wanna pay 6 million dollars for a bench player. Obviously the Yankees can afford it, the question is if it's worth more to them to keep him than to deal either him or Matsui and free up space for all to start.
    That's a great description of the situation
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    With as many question marks as the Yankees have, it would be wise to hold on to Swisher. A guy who can play DH, OF and 1B is a valuable guy to have on your bench.
    Which is why many believe they'd look to trade Matsui, play Damon at LF, Swisher at DH, and let Gardner or Melky play CF...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good luck trying to trade Matsui. This is a team that paid Pavano $9 million a year to rehab. I don;t see them having a problem paying a guy $6 million to get 300 ABs.

MLB ERA

I would agree, very few teams will take him unless they eat salary. However, that will probably be their goal..just like the Mets next goal after signing a starter will be to get rid of Luis Castillo. Most likely, neither will happen...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Good luck trying to trade Matsui. This is a team that paid Pavano $9 million a year to rehab. I don;t see them having a problem paying a guy $6 million to get 300 ABs.
    you make it sound like they WANTED to pay Pavano $9 million to rehab

They will trade him if they can, but I really don't expect anyone to trade his actual worth for him. And Cashman's not one to trade a guy for under his value just to get rid of him
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    you make it sound like they WANTED to pay Pavano $9 million to rehab

They will trade him if they can, but I really don't expect anyone to trade his actual worth for him. And Cashman's not one to trade a guy for under his value just to get rid of him
    No I'm not. I'm simply pointed out that it doesn't matter to the Yankees to waste money. In Swisher's case, he wouldn't be wasting it. He should stay right on the Yankees bench where the Yankees were weak last year.

MLB ERA

But Pavano they had no choice. No one would have taken him unless the Yankees paid his full salary and threw in more cash. Matsui might have a shot.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You missed my point lj. Yankees weren't hurting from Pavano taking up salary and eventually wasting it. With Swisher, it wouldn't be wasting it. Swisher being able to play three positions has value to the Yankees.

MLB ERA

But if they can deal Swisher to free up money for a starting pitcher(See Peter Abraham's last report that says they may need to dump salary to bring in Pettite), that may benefit more in the overall makeup of the team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast