Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Yankees To Sign Mark Teixeira

MLB ERA

Free Agent Breaking News: Yankees To Sign Mark Teixeira

Buster Olney reports:

Free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth more than $170 million, a source involved in the negotiations tells ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.
    The Yankees swooped in on Teixeira on Tuesday when it was believed the Boston Red Sox or the Washington Nationals were the likeliest of his future employer. The Red Sox's offer was believed to be in the range of $170 million, and the Nationals reached out with an offer perhaps greater than that of Boston.
    HELLS YEAH BABY!!!

mlbtraderumors.com is reporting 8 years, $180 mil, with a full no-trade clause

I'd rather overpay than have the Sox get him
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Breaking News: Yankees To Sign Mark Teixeira

An opt-out and a full no trade... I mean NYY is desperate to win so they are overpaying, now got the top 4 most expensive contracts... they still have holes but that middle of the lineup will be very good...

I woulda liked him on the Sox but I hate opt-out clauses, I want players committed to the long term so if you don't want to be on my team and only care about making more money I don't want him... and that holds for any player...if any of the Sox in extensions want it, they can walk
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

In this case I love the optout. He's going to be paid for his peak years, and is already paid well. He has to be damn good and the market rebound and inflate for it to be worth his time to optout, and if he does, that's fine, we likely get him for his 29-32 years. This may just prevent us from paying the back end decline phase of the contract.

Normally the optouts bite, but when you're the best, or at the top, and paid as such how much higher can you definitely go? Theres room to move up, but the ceiling is a hell of a lot closer.

That said, I'd just like to say hi to all the people who thought we weren't going to sign him.

MLB ERA

ZZZZZZ Yanks trying to buy a championship.. wake me up when something new happens.

They were way too quiet not to be involved. I think Teix's agent knew the Yanks would top everyone and thats why you never heard anything leaked.

Whats the over/under on number of Yankees that make more individually than the Marlins whole team?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I dont want to sound like I'm bashing the Yankees for this signing, but haven't they learned from previous mistakes on spending money on FA? I know they are trying to win, but come on though, ever since the 2000 WS, with all the FA signing, Giambi, A-rod, Mussina, and ect, they have yet to win, why not try a different approach that has worked in the mid 90s? Building from the farm up? I don't know, I respect any owner who is willing to spend the money, but sometimes spend it on need, not want. JMHO.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There's an easy answer: They have no farm. If they were in a league with a salary cap, ,they would be like the NY Islanders.

MLB ERA

Wait...I thought the Red Sox called Boras' bluff. They showed him....didn't they?

You don't mess with the Red Sox... unless you want a better deal!

MLB ERA

I also thought that the Yankees were only in the sweepstakes to jack up the price for the RedSox?

MLB ERA

The Red Sox can sign Manny now. Unless the Yankees still want to sign Manny as well. Why not sign everyone?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    The Red Sox can sign Manny now. Unless the Yankees still want to sign Manny as well. Why not sign everyone?
    And still not make the playoffs!!! HAHAHAHAHA
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    An opt-out and a full no trade... I mean NYY is desperate to win so they are overpaying, now got the top 4 most expensive contracts... they still have holes but that middle of the lineup will be very good...
    We're the paper champions right now...we were paper champions from '97-'03 and we won 3 WS and went to 5 of 7 WS.

So you know what? I'm damn ****ing happy. I could care less that people are jealous that we have the means to spend and do spend. We pay lower season ticket prices than Red Sox fans and we have a better team now. Payroll really shouldn't be the concern of the fans anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I woulda liked him on the Sox but I hate opt-out clauses, I want players committed to the long term so if you don't want to be on my team and only care about making more money I don't want him... and that holds for any player...if any of the Sox in extensions want it, they can walk
    Jason Giambi was committed long-term...look how that worked out. I'm fine by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    In this case I love the optout. He's going to be paid for his peak years, and is already paid well. He has to be damn good and the market rebound and inflate for it to be worth his time to optout, and if he does, that's fine, we likely get him for his 29-32 years. This may just prevent us from paying the back end decline phase of the contract.
    And if not, than we have the plus that he's "committed to our team" right cj?

Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Normally the optouts bite, but when you're the best, or at the top, and paid as such how much higher can you definitely go? Theres room to move up, but the ceiling is a hell of a lot closer.

That said, I'd just like to say hi to all the people who thought we weren't going to sign him.
    Hell yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    ZZZZZZ Yanks trying to buy a championship.. wake me up when something new happens.
    What's wrong with that?

Teams pay for FAs all the time to try and go to a championship, we just went out and did it right. This is one of the stupidest arguments in the history of arguments.

They were way too quiet not to be involved. I think Teix's agent knew the Yanks would top everyone and thats why you never heard anything leaked.
    Or maybe the idea of Teix hitting 3rd in the new Yankee Stadium with one of baseball's best paper squads around him was just too damned good to pass up.

Whats the over/under on number of Yankees that make more individually than the Marlins whole team?
    Who cares? It's not like they couldn't make the money to sign guys if they wanted...just because they set arbitrary budgets to make a profit and their fans get no returns thusly is not the fault of the Yankees or their fans.

Look at the Tigers' payroll, and look at ours. Which team do you think is playoff bound?
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    I dont want to sound like I'm bashing the Yankees for this signing, but haven't they learned from previous mistakes on spending money on FA? I know they are trying to win, but come on though, ever since the 2000 WS, with all the FA signing, Giambi, A-rod, Mussina, and ect, they have yet to win, why not try a different approach that has worked in the mid 90s? Building from the farm up? I don't know, I respect any owner who is willing to spend the money, but sometimes spend it on need, not want. JMHO.
    Not that 1st base was a need, but to have Teix playing there instead of the .219 hitting Nick Swisher is a huge upgrade.

Weren't the Giants rumored to be going after Furcal, and didn't they sign Renteria? Don't they have a SS who's highly touted in AAA and a 2B who's highly touted coming off an injury?

As far as going out and overspending, you may be right, but only time will tell. If we win the WS this year, doesn't that make these signings look brilliant?
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    There's an easy answer: They have no farm. If they were in a league with a salary cap, ,they would be like the NY Islanders.
    Yeah, I mean the Yankees have half the farm the Dodgers have. I mean, guys like Andy LaRoche turned out great for baseball's best farm system right?

Isn't it better to have proven players than potentially good ones? I sure as hell think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights View Post
    Wait...I thought the Red Sox called Boras' bluff. They showed him....didn't they?

You don't mess with the Red Sox... unless you want a better deal!
    Red Sox ownership sure showed their fans how much they care.

How are those ticket prices Boston?
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    I also thought that the Yankees were only in the sweepstakes to jack up the price for the RedSox?
    Rumors are just that; rumors.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post

Red Sox ownership sure showed their fans how much they care.

How are those ticket prices Boston?

The Yankees if the regular season was to start today would be the favorites to win the division. That being said there is a lot of offseason left and the Red Sox and Rays still can get some nice pieces...

Also I'm sorry but which team won 2 World Series in the last 5 years, and the Yankees besides spending more than drunken sailors (apologies to drunken sailors, I realize that its an insult to you) have won 0. So our ownership wants to win World Championships instead of Headline Championships.

Ohh ticket prices are the same as last year, how are yours? 2500 a seat for some HAHA
    MSLSeattle0001

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nothing like picking on our biggest bust prospect to help your argument.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dry calm down.. You dont understand the facts, people are not happy with the signing or the other two. Reason Yankee's outbid everyone. How the hell is this fair to any other team in the league? Today is the main reason a salary cap is needed. Do the Yankees ever build a top farm system? NO... THEY BUY what's needed and to me I hope to god your "paper champ" crashes and burns!!!

I will say it right now that the Yanks don't win the World Series in 2009. You have several holes to fill, your outfield blows, lack of arms to say the least. Cano is not the best option in the field and Jeter and Arod are not young anymore.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Go get Manny as well... You just might have a 250 million a year payroll. Jeter - Arod - Burnett - CC and Teixeira combined one year payroll 120+ million for just 5 players. How the hell can you justify spending that kind of cash? Those five players alone make more than most teams..

It would be nice to see the Yanks salary per player for the 09 season.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast