Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News: Yankees To Sign Mark Teixeira

MLB ERA

Re: Breaking News: Yankees To Sign Mark Teixeira

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Nationals made the better offer!! Still plenty of free agents left! Plus the top spending teams don't always win and in fact hardly do.
    What the Nationals offered is irrelevant to the fact that the Yankees have now signed the 3 biggest names on the market, and Manny might be next.

In fact, that only backs up my argument because he might have accepted their offer had the Yankees been incapable of giving him one of their own after spending all their would-be cap room on other players.

Also, whether or not they win is also irrelevant. Their success rate doesn't negate the fact that a lack of a salary cap makes it damn near impossible for small market teams to keep their home grown talent and why teams like the A's always trade them off in their prime so they can at least get something for them.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Also, think of all the money they put into revenue sharing and luxury tax. Not to mention all the draft picks they are forfeiting.
    Revenue sharing is nice but it doesn't stop them from hoarding all the free agents in a vain attempt to buy a championship, preventing other teams from having a legit chance at bolstering their rosters.

All revenue sharing accomplishes is lining the pockets of cheap owners on the other end of the spectrum because the Yankees obviously don't care about spending the extra money.

MLB ERA

It is nice that the other team gets their draft picks though.

That's more would-be stars for the Yankees to give 100 million dollar contracts to in 4 or 5 years!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    What the Nationals offered is irrelevant to the fact that the Yankees have now signed the 3 biggest names on the market, and Manny might be next.

In fact, that only backs up my argument because he might have accepted their offer had the Yankees been incapable of giving him one of their own after spending all their would-be cap room on other players.

Also, whether or not they win is also irrelevant. Their success rate doesn't negate the fact that a lack of a salary cap makes it damn near impossible for small market teams to keep their home grown talent and why teams like the A's always trade them off in their prime so they can at least get something for them.
    Its irrelevant? How is it that a small market team outbid the big market team but its irrelevant? Your whole point was that small market teams can't compete with the big boys. Seems right on topic to me. The Yankees are a storied franchise, the Nationals aren't. If he was all about the money, he would be a National!

Yes, their win rate does matter!! How the **** could it not?? They had a record payroll last year and did not even make the playoffs!! It doesn't matter how much they spend! Spending does not equal winning. Small market teams can and do keep their home grown talent. Franchises are not having problems fielding teams and the small market teams get help from the Yankees overspending. Every year people ****ing ***** and moan about salary caps but yet every year new teams get into the playoffs. Its stupid and its not needed. If the big guys aren;t winning titles and the small market teams are, what is your problem?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Revenue sharing is nice but it doesn't stop them from hoarding all the free agents in a vain attempt to buy a championship, preventing other teams from having a legit chance at bolstering their rosters.

All revenue sharing accomplishes is lining the pockets of cheap owners on the other end of the spectrum because the Yankees obviously don't care about spending the extra money.
    It doesn't prevent anything! Just because the Yankees overpay on top free agents means another team can't get better?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Hollywood - No chance the Yankees sign Manny.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hollywood - No chance for a salary cap nor should there be.

MLB ERA

This is down right stupid. Yankees are really desperate aren't they? How pathetic can one team be? They can't help trying to buy there to another WS. They failed last year and I would just love for them to choke again in 2009.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pathetic!!!! How pathetic to fill a gaping hole in their lineup!! What terrible ownership!!! Who spends the money they have? (of course, you wouldn't know anything about that as a Braves fan)

Give me a ****ing break.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

BREAKING NEWS: Max Kellerman reports the New York Yankees are on the verge of signing Santa Claus. Mr. Claus's contract is not public yet, but it looks like there is a no-trade clause (no pun intended) and free season tickets for all the reindeer
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Maybe if all the mega-billionares that own teams like the Rangers, Royals, and other teams decided they cared about their baseball team, then a salary cap wouldn't be needed.

It's nice to see teams like the Orioles and Nats ponying up the money though, it shows they want to start to win. Maybe the Royals can take a hint....
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Maybe if all the mega-billionares that own teams like the Rangers, Royals, and other teams decided they cared about their baseball team, then a salary cap wouldn't be needed.

It's nice to see teams like the Orioles and Nats ponying up the money though, it shows they want to start to win. Maybe the Royals can take a hint....
    Don't hate on the Royals, they are doing it the right way, its going to take time but they went and traded for some veterans to make them better, granted no tex, but jacobs is solid and they got a deep bullpen with Meche-Grienke at the top... they are following the Rays blueprint, it takes time to work but once it does you have staying power
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Crying "salary cap" just because the richest team in baseball has the four most expensive players in baseball (Teixeira, Sabathia, Arod and Jeter) all the while still not the favorites in their own division is just silly to me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Funny how quickly people forget the yankees cleared nearly 100 million in payroll. I think it's even been said several times in this thread and still goes over people's heads.

I liked this signing a lot, more than Burnett obviously, Teixeira is going to impact the game on both ends of the game and that's a lot more than you could have said about Jason Giambi. But while it puts everyone into a panic that New York has spent 4.4 bajillion on 3 guys, it guarantees nothing. Nothing! Did Tampa drop a lot of money on people to win? Philly's biggest acquisitions were Joe Blanton and JC Romero. Nothing's certain except for NYY's world sized payroll.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

I don't so much mind their adding payroll as I do the way some of their fans act as if that payroll guarantees them being better than anyone else. Now, obviously, not every Yankee fan acts this way, and obviously every team has annoying fans, but I can't stand that the Teixeira signing makes some Yankee fans act as though they are the only team that matters.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast