Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees offer Ben Sheets a 2 year deal

AAA ERA

Re: Yankees offer Ben Sheets a 2 year deal

Obviosuly after going through the Pavano fiasco we should be wary about a guy like Sheets BUT 2 years would definitely be worth the risk. 5 years for Burnett scares me alot more.

Although the additions of Burnett and CC Sabathia give the Yankees one of baseball's best rotations, they aren't done yet. They have ruled out going after oft-injured Ben Sheets, someone familiar with their plans said, because of too many "red flags." Instead, they will await a decision from Andy Pettitte.

The Yankees, who had hoped to sign Pettitte or Sheets to round out their starting rotation, have decided that Pettitte would be a better fit. Sheets did make 31 starts in 2008, going 13-9 with a 3.09 ERA for the Brewers, but injuries kept him from topping 160 innings between 2005 and 2007.

Another advantage of signing Pettitte instead of Sheets is that Pettitte will require just a one-year contract. General manager Brian Cashman flew to meet with him at his Houston-area home Thursday in hopes of convincing him to accept the Yankees' one-year, $10-million offer. Pettitte has resisted a pay cut from the $16 million he made in 2008. A club official said: "They just had a good meeting and [Pettitte's] thinking about things."

MLB ERA

damnit. well, this isn't that bad. but i was hoping to get Sheets. so does this mean the deal is off the table for Sheets? or that we just prefer Pettitte?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

It means, if Pettitte doesn't accept we'll go after Sheets.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Seemingly Sheets is off the table completely now. Seemingly.

MLB ERA

Which is damned good news IMO

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees are in trouble if they get Pettitte. Yankees need to IMPROVE!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    that's exactly how i feel. that's why i'd rather have sheets, even if it's riskier
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

We did with the signings of CC and AJ, Wang pitching a full year and Joba pitching more starts.

We don't need a shutdown pitcher at every spot. Pettitte would be fine at the 4.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, you need good pitching to move ahead of the Rays and Red Sox. Pettitte hurts the cause, doesn't help it. Wang, Sabathia and Burnett is a great starting three but you have to have more than that. Relying on Joba is not wise either.

No, you need good pitching to move ahead of the Rays and Red Sox. Pettitte hurts the cause, doesn't help it. Wang, Sabathia and Burnett is a great starting three but you have to have more than that. Relying on Joba is not wise either.
    Why is relying on Joba not wise? His 130 IP will be quite useful.

We have good pitching. Now we need to shore up the offense a bit. Whether it be Sheets, Pettitte, or another guy, it simply won't matter that much now. I can see the reasons for each guy.

You said we needed to improve. We did that. Now it's improve enough to get past the Sahwx and Rays. On one hand Cano and to an extent Jeter should rebound, Posada and Matsui should be healthy. Cameron will be a massive offensive upgrade over the other options. But Abreu and Giambi are gone, and that's a large chunk of production, Damon probably will not have as good of a year as he did last year.

Point being, I don't think the difference between Sheets and Pettitte is enough that it will cause us to make or miss the playoffs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Relying on Joba is not wise just like it wasn't wise to rely on the young Yankees last year. Joba has a history of arm problems and we all saw what happened when Joba did start last year. Joba is good but he is a health risk. Burnett is too. Not wise to rely on risks. I'm not saying Sheets is the answer because he too is a risk.

The Yankees did improve but like you said, its not enough to get past the Sox or Rays. The Yankees rotation as of right now is not better than the Rays. Pettitte doesn't help fix that. Posada should be healthy but for how long? Matsui is another red flag. Jeter's defense regresses with each passing year. Too many red flags on this team right now.

Sheets had an ERA a run and a half lower than that of Pettitte. You honestly can't see the difference there? Only good from Pettitte is that he logs innings but can you bank on the 37 year old doing that again? The Yankees need improvements, not lateral moves.

Relying on Joba is not wise just like it wasn't wise to rely on the young Yankees last year. Joba has a history of arm problems and we all saw what happened when Joba did start last year. Joba is good but he is a health risk. Burnett is too. Not wise to rely on risks. I'm not saying Sheets is the answer because he too is a risk.
    Joba's injury history has been overblown, IIRC. He had a bout of tendinitis, and a triceps injury way earlier in his career. I wouldn't quite say he has a history of arm problems. But that risk is also why I want durability. There's not enough depth to cover all the risks.
    The Yankees did improve but like you said, its not enough to get past the Sox or Rays. The Yankees rotation as of right now is not better than the Rays. Pettitte doesn't help fix that. Posada should be healthy but for how long? Matsui is another red flag. Jeter's defense regresses with each passing year. Too many red flags on this team right now.
    Jeter's D was actually good last year, now will that continue or is it a fluke? Health is a big issue, and it worries me. The roto is good, how good, i'm not quite sure yet.
    Sheets had an ERA a run and a half lower than that of Pettitte. You honestly can't see the difference there?
    Pettitte was also victimized by his defense. I fully expect Pettitte to rebound to his 2007 levels.
    And as I said, it's not just Sheeys VS Pettitte. It's Pettitte VS Sheets and his fill in starter when he gets injured. That worries me with our awful SP depth last year.
    Only good from Pettitte is that he logs innings but can you bank on the 37 year old doing that again? The Yankees need improvements, not lateral moves.
    Right, and I already showed you how we improved. Pettitte should be better than he was last year, that's already an improvement, though you;re right, he may not make all his starts, it is a concern. He should, however make a lot more than Sheets. Sheets will be paired with a SP who may be so awful that it would negate the benefits Sheets provides. Our SP depth is awful, that was demontrated last year. Sheets in a league switch may I add, and a pitcher with a 5+ ERA isn't an improvement, it's a downgrade.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joba's history of arm problems is real and that's all that matters. Scouts agree that he is best suited for the bullpen because of that fact. Mark Prior had tendinitis too.

Jeter's defense might have been good for him but not good. His defense is very suspect.

Don't hold your breath on Pettitte returning to form. The defense isn't any better and he is a year older. Yankees are better off saving their money and getting someone better.

I already said Sheets would be a risk and the Yankees already have too many of them. The Yankees have improved with Sabathia but it isn't enough. I'm not too worried about Pettitte making all his starts. I am more worried about his performance in those 30+ starts.

Joba's history of arm problems is real and that's all that matters. Scouts agree that he is best suited for the bullpen because of that fact. Mark Prior had tendinitis too.
    Really? Every scouting report I've seen said he was an Ace in the making and that was his bets role.

I don't know if it's listed anywhere, but I'd love to see all of Joba's arm injuries listed.

A lot of pitchers get tendinitis. The Yankees wanted to be cautious with him.

Jeter's defense might have been good for him but not good. His defense is very suspect.
    No, Jeter's performance was above league average. It was quite shocking.
    Don't hold your breath on Pettitte returning to form. The defense isn't any better and he is a year older. Yankees are better off saving their money and getting someone better.
    He might be a bit luckier. The D wasn't all that different last year than 2 years ago. I'd still go for a cheap innings eater type at the back end.
    I already said Sheets would be a risk and the Yankees already have too many of them. The Yankees have improved with Sabathia but it isn't enough. I'm not too worried about Pettitte making all his starts. I am more worried about his performance in those 30+ starts.
    His performance will be good enough. Not many teams have great 5th starters.
    And it's more than just Sabathia. Sabathia replaces Moose, which is what it is. Wang makes 15 more starts this year that below average players will not make. Players like sidney Ponson who pitched 15 starts. Burnett makes Rasner's 20 starts, and will be much better than Rasner. Joba will make his starts and pickup roughly 8 more, the amount Hughes made last year. That's already 43 starts in which we'll be getting at least above average performance as opposed to below average performance. And that's not inluding the last starter, who ever it may be.

Of course the offense is changing too, better or worse we're not sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast