Thread: Hal's Your Pal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Hal's Your Pal

George Steinbrenner's 35-year reign as boss of the New York Yankees ended Thursday when he passed control of the team to his youngest son, Hal.

The elder Steinbrenner has gradually withdrawn from the team's day-to-day operations in recent years, and brothers Hal and Hank were appointed co-chairmen in April.

Their father headed a group that bought the team in 1973, and he became perhaps the most high-profile owner in all of sports, spending lavishly on players and changing managers frequently during his first 22 years in charge. But the 78-year-old's health has declined in recent years following a pair of falls.

Baseball owners unanimously approved the change at a meeting Thursday.

"I realize it's a great responsibility," said Hal Steinbrenner, who turns 40 on Dec. 3. "My dad is, needless to say, a tough act to follow."

While Hank, 51, has spoken out publicly far more than his brother in the past year, Hal was at Yankee Stadium far more often than Hank was. Hal is responsible for financial operations of the club, and Hank oversees general manager Brian Cashman and the baseball operations.

Major League Baseball said George Steinbrenner requested the change in control be made.

"He's been slowing down the last couple years," Hal Steinbrenner said. "Really, for the last two years I have been intimately involved with all aspects and all departments of the company. It's what I've been doing day-to-day. My duties aren't really going to change and my workload isn't going to change much. So, I mean, it's as much a procedural thing within the family, I think, as anything at this point."
    I am extremely pleased to hear it was Hal and not Hank. Hal seems to be the bright one and doesn't seem to have the Steinbrenner temper. Farewell to one of the best owners in baseball.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hal's Your Pal

Damn, this is a huge slap in the face to Hank. He's the elder son, he should have taken over. Hank was destined to become the Al Davis of Major League Baseball.

MLB ERA

I kind of agree that logistically Hank should have been the one picked, and also because although he says some REALLY stupid things, I think he really knows what's best for the team and isn't afraid to take risks. I'm afraid Hal will be really afraid to take risks, which can be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

From what I understand, nothing is REALLY changing. Hank will still (from what I understand) be in charge of baseball operations(watching over Cashman, etc), and Hal will still be in charge of the economics of the organization. It should be the way it is now, especially since Hank and Hal have already been doing the majority of these things.

Also, should I not mention that Hal was at Yankee Stadium more often than Hank this past year?

MLB ERA

Just because someone's not at the stadium as much doesn't mean he's not doing his job. This is a countrywide/worldwide business. There's PLENTY to be done away from the home stadium
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Like running your mouth off.

MLB ERA

Agreed, but they didn't even put Hal in charge of baseball operations today. He's still in charge of the same shit as he was last year. Hank will still be in charge of the same things as HE was. The difference is that Hal has a title now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Yankees' Hal Steinbrenner said Thursday that the offer to CC Sabathia could eventually be taken back.
    "We’ve made him an offer. It’s not going to be there forever," he said. It's believed the Yankees offered Sabathia about $140 million for six years.
    Let's see if Hal sticks to his word more than Hank.