Thread: Yankees Offseason Wish List

MLB ERA

Forecast Yankees Offseason Wish List

1. Coaching Staff Priorities: Replace Rich Monteleone and Bobby Meachem with Ron Guidry and Paul O'Neill/Willie Randolph
    Pretty self-explanatory. Gator was good in the role in years past and a solid pitching coach, and O'Neill would be a welcome face in the clubhouse. If not Paul, then Willie could go back to the role he excelled at in the late 90's.

2. Let Bobby Abreu go and sign Manny Ramirez
    Abreu had the best year he could this year, and he wasn't close to the production we need out of the #3 spot. With Matsui declining rapidly and Posada coming off injury woes, we need someone who can rake and play serviceable OF. Signing Manny would give us the luxury of either an OF of LF: Ramirez, CF: Damon, RF: Matsui or with Melky in RF or CF and Damon in CF or LF.

3. Make plays at Sabathia, Burnett, Sheets, and Teixeira, but don't mortgage your soul

It isn't money I'm worried about, it's years. Burnett and Sheets are red flags because they could both end up being Pavano part deux. Sabathia has been a workhorse since losing to Ichiro in the ROY vote. Still, worry is that signing him long term could be risky because he might break down and still have half a contract left. Teixeira is a tricky bird. The guy has no problems to speak of, hits well and plays good defense. Only thing is, don't sign him for 15 years and 450 million dollars. I'm not interested in another regular season wonder who feels salary pressure and chokes in the playoffs.

4. Take a serious look at Brad Penny and Tom Gordon; also, pursue Kerry Wood and Chad Cordero
    Penny would be a great addition to the staff. Imagine him, Wang, Pettite, Joba, and any one of Mussina, Pettite, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy? Good staff. As far as Gordon, he pitched well in NY and might be a nice middle man addition. Who can forget Quan-Gor-Mo?

As far as Wood and Cordero, offer incentives. I love the upside, and it gives us more arms that have shown they can pitch well if healthy.

5. Trade for Jake Peavy unless they want either Joba or Jesus Montero, or both.
    I don't care how good he is, Jorge is almost done, our staff is old, and dealing 3 or 4 other prospects plus our two best would be ridiculous. Joba has shown Clemens like ability, and Montero is reminding people of Mauer almost. Let's not get crazy because not dealing for Johan didn't work. We need to stay the course.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Yankees Offseason Wish List

damon and matsui both playing defense would almost certainly make for the worst defense in baseball, with an already mediocre jeter and arod, and an inconsistent cano. abreu, albeit downright frightened of the wall, is a pretty decent fielder... and even ramirez is an upgrade over damon and matsui. resigning abreu, and acquiring sabathia and ramirez should be the top 3 priorities... putting together a team that looks like...

(for the record, i dont look at the 3 signings i said as unrealistic... except if they dont wanna come of course... because abreu youll be paying him the same money you gave him last year... and for ramirez and sabathia, you cleared off pavano, giambi, mussina and pettitte's contracts, so that should work for those 2.)

c: posada, 1b: ?, 2b: cano, ss: jeter, 3b: arod, lf: ramirez, cf: damon, rf: abreu, dh: matsui.... sp: carsten charles, wang, joba, ?, ?... rp: mo, edwar, veras, coke, marte, robertson

id give aceves and hughes a shot in the rotation... but hughes is getting ROCKED in the afl right now... or wherever the hell he is, im half bagged and cant remember perfectly honest... so i dont know. aceves at least pitched good in the majors, so id give him another shot... never wanna see ponson or rasner ever again though. id love to bring in teixeira too obviously... but lets be a little realistic. i think manny is our most likely signing, and its distinctly possibly we throw 25-30 mil at sabathia to coax him out of the nl/west coast... but its probably more likely we sign lowe and sheets, and look at a rotation of wang, joba, lowe, sheets, hughes/aceves/kennedy/whoever. i dont particularly care for either one of them though... sheets is cool, but how often is hes healthy? god forbid he gets a hangnail and misses 4 months... carl pavano jr right there, so i have zero doubts the yankees will sign him.

"Who can forget Quan-Gor-Mo?"

i cant and it stunk on ice. well, gordon was cool by me, though he folded like cheap lawn furniture in big moments... and quantrill, if even possible, was absolutely worse in big moments. i dont think we need relievers, i like our young arms... maybe humberto sanchez will even get a shot this year.

"5. Trade for Jake Peavy unless they want either Joba or Jesus Montero, or both."

so theres exactly zero chance of that happening. in retrospect... and i was against the deal last year too, so im not gonna pretend im a genius and all that shit... but STEALING johan for hughes, kennedy, melky and marquez, was the absolute best chance of stealing an ace we had. to get peavy, joba has to be involved... they dont want hughes, they dont want kennedy, theyd probably want austin jackson as a secondary piece but a deal of jackson/montero wont make it work. at this point, if we want an ace... its 30 million dollars a year to sabathia. that is... if you dont think joba, with his 2.76 era as a starter last year, isnt an ace in the first place. just let the man pitch and stop babying him. but we do need arms, and putting together sabathia, wang and joba is a major major key, because even in the playoffs you can go 3 man and let those 3 go every series all series.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    damon and matsui both playing defense would almost certainly make for the worst defense in baseball, with an already mediocre jeter and arod, and an inconsistent cano. abreu, albeit downright frightened of the wall, is a pretty decent fielder... and even ramirez is an upgrade over damon and matsui. resigning abreu, and acquiring sabathia and ramirez should be the top 3 priorities... putting together a team that looks like...
    Damon's a decent OF...he's got a chicken arm though.

(for the record, i dont look at the 3 signings i said as unrealistic... except if they dont wanna come of course... because abreu youll be paying him the same money you gave him last year... and for ramirez and sabathia, you cleared off pavano, giambi, mussina and pettitte's contracts, so that should work for those 2.)
    Apparently Pettite is going to come back.

c: posada, 1b: ?, 2b: cano, ss: jeter, 3b: arod, lf: ramirez, cf: damon, rf: abreu, dh: matsui.... sp: carsten charles, wang, joba, ?, ?... rp: mo, edwar, veras, coke, marte, robertson
    Marte is gone via FA and Phil Coke? Really?

id give aceves and hughes a shot in the rotation... but hughes is getting ROCKED in the afl right now... or wherever the hell he is, im half bagged and cant remember perfectly honest... so i dont know. aceves at least pitched good in the majors, so id give him another shot...
    Hughes is in the AFL and he got creamed a few times. He's pitched OK in others. It's the problem of his command...he has none.

never wanna see ponson or rasner ever again though. id love to bring in teixeira too obviously... but lets be a little realistic.
    I agree with that sentiment.
    i think manny is our most likely signing, and its distinctly possibly we throw 25-30 mil at sabathia to coax him out of the nl/west coast... but its probably more likely we sign lowe and sheets, and look at a rotation of wang, joba, lowe, sheets, hughes/aceves/kennedy/whoever. i dont particularly care for either one of them though... sheets is cool, but how often is hes healthy? god forbid he gets a hangnail and misses 4 months... carl pavano jr right there, so i have zero doubts the yankees will sign him.
    Gammons seems to think the Yankees are back door at best for Manny, and major players for Teix. As far as CC, he's damn good, but I imagine 23-25 million is tops for him. I doubt we see Lowe, probably a better chance of us seeing Penny or Dempster, but I'm worried about Sheets being in Pinstripes too. It'd be nice if he didn't get hurt all the time.

"Who can forget Quan-Gor-Mo?"

i cant and it stunk on ice. well, gordon was cool by me, though he folded like cheap lawn furniture in big moments... and quantrill, if even possible, was absolutely worse in big moments. i dont think we need relievers, i like our young arms... maybe humberto sanchez will even get a shot this year.
    QuanGorMo was the shit, they just got overworked by Torre. Gordon pitched OK late, it was Quantrill that blew chunks in October and down the stretch...

I like our young arms too but could we trust them in a pennant race?

"5. Trade for Jake Peavy unless they want either Joba or Jesus Montero, or both."

so theres exactly zero chance of that happening. in retrospect... and i was against the deal last year too, so im not gonna pretend im a genius and all that shit... but STEALING johan for hughes, kennedy, melky and marquez, was the absolute best chance of stealing an ace we had.
    I was too and I'm pissed it worked out like it did.

to get peavy, joba has to be involved... they dont want hughes, they dont want kennedy, theyd probably want austin jackson as a secondary piece but a deal of jackson/montero wont make it work.
    I say don't do it. I love Joba and I think he's going to be the real deal.

at this point, if we want an ace... its 30 million dollars a year to sabathia. that is... if you dont think joba, with his 2.76 era as a starter last year, isnt an ace in the first place. just let the man pitch and stop babying him. but we do need arms, and putting together sabathia, wang and joba is a major major key, because even in the playoffs you can go 3 man and let those 3 go every series all series.
    I agree that those three would be a damn good start but who finishes out the rotation? As you saw last year, if you have guys like Rasner and Kennedy filling it out, your other three need to win almost every time out for you to win 3/5...We need guys who can go 50/50 on WP in those roles, otherwise we aren't a playoff club who can use that 3 man

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

i liked phil coke ... i thought he was pretty solid last year, and im willing to give him another shot.

and yea i agree, im not giving up joba for peavy. and yea... i dont know who closes out the rotation with cc, wang, joba. like i said up there... look at the names im throwing out there... im downright frightened of those names (aceves, hughes, kennedy), but fact of the matter is i think getting a proven and true ace like sabathia, is better than filling out a rotation with sheets and lowe, or sheets and burnett, or burnett and lowe and hoping shit works out. but id still rather go with cc, than burnett/sheets/lowe any combo of the 2. and i really dont want pettitte back, id rather coax mussina into coming back... but maybe thats just me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Screw Ramirez, find a CFer! Teixeira is the safest, best signing the Yankees can make. They have the money and need him to help Jeter and Arod with his defense at third. The man does nothing but produce and would be a great guy to help open a new ballpark with. Ramirez brings ego and problems and frankly the Yankees have enough of that right now. Plus $25 mil is a lot more than Teixeira is going to make. Pick your battles wisely. Yankees also need a top of the line starter. Wang will be back but Mussina and Pettitte likely won't be. Make a damn decision on Joba and stick with it too!! Stay away from Tom Gordon!! There are plenty of guys out there better than the man formerly called "the Flash". Juan Cruz and Dennys Reyes are out there. Yankees need to be looking for a catcher too. Get Teixeira, get a starter, find a CFer with stolen base ability, find a catcher and grab some relievers.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"Plus $25 mil is a lot more than Teixeira is going to make."

disagreed personally. well, i disagree with "a lot". i can definitely see tex get 22 mil, if not more.

"Make a damn decision on Joba and stick with it too!!" supposedly they did, they said a couple days ago that... "joba is going to be a starter, period." we'll see where that goes though.

MLB ERA

I agree with:

-Keeping Joba under all circumstances
    -Keeping Montero under all circumstances
    -Let Abreu go. I love the guy, and he did great things for us, but there are just other options at outfield right now. If he didn't suck so bad in the outfield I might actually suggest moving him to CF to solve the problem there and then opening up the corner outfield positions where they're so deep. But that would SERIOUSLY mortgage the defense.
    -The coaching moves. Although I don't think Willie will want to take a back seat again after managing for a while, it'd be lovely if he did.
    -Looking at Wood and Cordero. I never thought of that before, and it's a good idea. I really like both those guys. The only thing is will they want to set-up instead of close...

I disagree with:
    -Going after Manny. Too much baggage, too many years. We have too many outfielders. Instead: trade for Holliday. The Rockies are showing interest in the young pitching, and I think Hughes or Kennedy could be expendable for a 5-tool superstar like Holliday who would thrive in New York. It would be tough to part with Phil, but I'm not even sure if we'd have to because the Rockies showed special interest in Kennedy for some reason. Kennedy/Jackson might be the base of a deal. Who knows.
    -Going after Tom Gordon. NO NO NO NO NO. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. He's old, incredibly injury prone, and we don't need any more of that.
    -I agree we should go after Sabathia and Texeiria. My disagreement: give them whatever they want. If we need to sign Sabathia to a giant 5-year deal and only get 3 good years out of him, I think it's worth it. Texeiria shouldn't be a worry with years, as he's 29 this year.
    -Stay away from Sheets. Same as Gordon. I think this team needs to stay away from any signs of injury prone from anyone. It was killer this year. We can't be signing these guys to big contracts and have half of them go down midseason.

The bullpen should be coming from in-house this year mostly, with Coke (who I love too Hammer) and Melancon. I can't wait to see both those guys. I agree with Brown that Melancon could be the Yankees next closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree the Yankees should look into trading for Holliday. He is a LONG TERM solution which is something the Yankees really need in the OF. Holliday, Damon and Nady would make for a much powerful offense than that of '08.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I agree the Yankees should look into trading for Holliday. He is a LONG TERM solution which is something the Yankees really need in the OF. Holliday, Damon and Nady would make for a much powerful offense than that of '08.
    I agree 100%. That would be a great offense. Especially with Matsui DH'ing. I still really value his bat. Although if they find themselves still very deep at corner outfield, he could be a great trade piece.

Holliday I also think would be a guy who would thrive under the attention of New York, and that's rare.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

id definitely be intrigued by holliday... but what are they gonna want? i cant see them wanting anything than less than joba, montero, jackson.. 2 of the 3.... plus a brackman or betances thrown in.

MLB ERA

They actually showed big interest in Kennedy for some reason. Not sure why, but that was reported. They want pitching, pitching, and more pitching. I honestly would even give up both Hughes and Kennedy for Holliday. They may go for that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

id definitely do that deal. i still think hughes could be something solid, but the ace that i thought he could become last year aint in the cards.... holliday for hughes and kennedy is a steal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rockies need a starter, reliever and possibly even Cano in some kind of package.

MLB ERA

Resign Marte and throw him in that deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Let some other team sign him and get the draft picks instead.