Thread: New Deal For Marte?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees New Deal For Marte?

The New York Daily News reports that the Yankees are "are in the process of negotiating a multi-year deal" with Damaso Marte after declining his $6 million option for 2009.
    Something like $12 million over three years is probably the minimum Marte would agree to before testing the market, although his being a Type A free agent will scare off many teams.
    Is this really a smart thing to do here? There are relievers that will come cheaper that had better seasons out there on the market. Marte had a 5.40 ERA in 25 games for the Yankees. While I don't think he is as bad as his ERA suggested last season, I think the Yankees can do better for their money. Marte is a quality reliever no doubt but the Yankees got a taste of what he can do in the AL and it wasn't good. Maybe giving a three year deal isn't the wisest of decisions.

MLB ERA

Re: New Deal For Marte?

this is a good idea. he's a quality lefty MR who just had a bad 2nd half last year. i'd agree with you that a 3-year deal is a bit much, but it's not a horrible idea. it will keep him in-house rather than having to go out and find somebody to fill the lefty role
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Scott Schoeneweis can be yours!

MLB ERA

Damaso Marte has been a very reliable reliever over his career. I don't see any reason to think he cannot do the job again.
    I think he deserves a new contract. 3 years might be a bit much, but a year or 2 won't hurt anything.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to Impacto Deportivo, the Yankees have agreed to terms with LHP Damaso Marte on a three-year, $12 million contract.
    New York declined Marte's $6 million option for 2009, but ends up re-signing him for a lesser rate. While he struggled in 25 games with the Yankees after coming over in a midseason deal, Marte has long been among the game's best left-handed relievers and $4 million per year is a very reasonable price.
    I hope it works out.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

That's a reasonable deal, I guess...Marte was pretty bad at times last year for sure, but for a guy with a fairly successful history...it's not exactly a megabucks deal so I can't really complain.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.