Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andruw Turns Down Yankees?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees Andruw Turns Down Yankees?

SI.com's Jon Heyman says that free agent Andruw Jones turned down a minor league contract from the Yankees.
    Heyman believes the Rangers, Phillies and Mets also have some interest in Jones, who doesn't appear to be close to getting anything done with the Braves. Texas seems like the best bet right now.
    WOW! I don't know where to start. I guess I have just two questions. What the **** were you thinking Andruw? What the **** were the Yankees thinking?

MLB ERA

Re: Andruw Turns Down Yankees?

Not a bad offer on the Yankees part, considering it's just a MLC they offered.

What's the worst that'd happen? He rots away in AAA? No big loss to the Yankees.

I do share the confusion as to what Andruw's thinking, though.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's holding out for a major-league deal the same way Manny is waiting for his five-year contract.

MLB ERA

That's exactly it. He still thinks he's gonna get a Major League deal. He'll end up taking a MLC somewhoere tho, because no one is dumb enough to give him a MLB contract....except maybe Steve Phillips.

MLB ERA

Wow. I'm actually happy the Yankees offered him a MLC. That's a good move. A low risk, high reward move. Too bad Andruw's too stupid to see the gravity of his situation
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What ****ing reward? Where have you guys been??

MLB ERA

A guy with that talent(as he has proven in the past) doesn't lose it suddenly. If he got back in shape, there is a chance he could be a decent hitter(though he'll never get back to his 50 HR days). If he were to put forth an effort, he would have a shot to be a contributor, and for a team that needs an OF, that's a reward.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What am I reading here?? Jones can't just suddenly lose talent? Where the hell have you guys been the past two years?? This is absurd!! He had 3 HRs in 204 ABs for christ's sake!!

MLB ERA

Because he was out of shape. Nobody simply wakes up and has zero talent left. Normal human beings age gradually. I truly believe that if Andruw got back in shape, he'd have a shot to be useful.

MLB ERA

Andrew is done. BUT Reefer, what is the risk in this deal? That's right, the league minimum salary if he made the MLB roster. Which is pocket change to the Yankees. And what is the Yankees most needed position? That's right, CF.

He COULD randomly come back out of nowhere and play well again. Is it going to happen? No. But it's POSSIBLE

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

ljshorty,
    Babe Ruth was out of shape but his talent shined through. Jones has declined more than anyone and who is to say he would get in shape? He didn't for his last contract that was worth a helluva lot more than a MLC deal. If you don;t think people can lose that talent, then you aren't paying attention to Andrus Jones over the past two years.

NYGF,
    The is no real risk but there is no reward either. Why not extend a MLC to Jim Edmonds? There are better players to try and nab than Jones. Jones' defense fell off the charts faster than his BA. No risk, no reward!

MLB ERA

That's actually not entirely true. Babe Ruth was not athletically built, but he was also not completely out of shape. He was actually quite fast earlier in his career. You're right, theres the risk Andruw doesn't try to get into shape, but that's the point. If he has a MLC plus MAJOR Incentives, he HAS to get in shape, or the shmuck gets no money. I honestly don't think his talented has evaporated. Maybe he's not AS talented as he once was, but if it wasn't for his being out of shape(and the fact that being out of shape has caused injuries), he would have been AT LEAST a serviceable platoon player. So if he gets back to being serviceable and a platoon player, and he's making the minimum, or making whatever incentives he earns, he'd be a decent addition with a good reward.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    That's actually not entirely true. Babe Ruth was not athletically built, but he was also not completely out of shape. He was actually quite fast earlier in his career. You're right, theres the risk Andruw doesn't try to get into shape, but that's the point. If he has a MLC plus MAJOR Incentives, he HAS to get in shape, or the shmuck gets no money. I honestly don't think his talented has evaporated. Maybe he's not AS talented as he once was, but if it wasn't for his being out of shape(and the fact that being out of shape has caused injuries), he would have been at least a serviceable platoon player. So if he gets back to being serviceable and a platoon player, and he's making the minimum, or making whatever incentives he earns, he'd be a decent addition with a good reward.
    I'm in agreement here

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I cannot believe it but I am actually disgusted!! There is absolutely nothing and I repeat nothing to suggest Jones can turn things around. His defense has been declinign for years as is his offense. Yankees are wasting their time which is why it makes for a dumb move. Jim Edmonds is far better than Jones is they want an answer in CF. That's the whole point. There are better options out there!!

MLB ERA

Based on RF, Fielding %, RFg, and RF9, his defense in 2007 was every bit as good as 2004, 2005, 2006. He won the GG each of those years. Last year he was hurt, so of course his fielding would be jeopardized.

His batting average has dropped considerably, but in 2007 he still hit 26 HR and 94 RBI....he is clearly salvageable as a DECENT player if he gets in shape, and is willing to put in effort. He doesn't wanna retire, so if his only option(which it certainly will be) is to take an incentive laden deal, he will HAVE to be motivated to earn his money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast