Thread: Hank on the Yankees future

MLB ERA

Yankees Hank on the Yankees future

WEDNESDAY: More on this topic...Hank named Sabathia and Burnett as pitchers of interest. It's not surprising to hear those two will be on the Yankees' radar.
    THURSDAY, 3:26pm: Also of note, Ken Davidoff talked to Brian Cashman about nine-figure free agent deals.
    8:47am: Not exactly news, but we'll mention it anyway. Hank Steinbrenner on 2009:
    "There is going to be a lot going on this offseason. I promise you that."
    Previously, Hank mentioned the Yankees' likely pursuit of veteran pitching. It would make sense to bring Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte back on reasonable one-year deals if possible, and then break the bank on a third, younger free agent like C.C. Sabathia, Ben Sheets, or A.J. Burnett. Expect the Yanks to be aggressive in their pursuit of Sabathia. Some good pitchers will be coming over from Japan, but I'm guessing the Yankees will pass.
    The infield remains locked in, with Jorge Posada probably needing some time at DH. Hideki Matsui may as well, so bringing in a legitimate full-time first baseman makes sense. If the Yankees can't get Mark Teixeira, they'll probably have to turn to the trade market (or consider Adam Dunn as a first baseman). The trade market may offer Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adam LaRoche, Mike Jacobs, Todd Helton, and Nick Johnson.
    It would not be surprising to see the Yankees let Damaso Marte go and spend some bucks on the bullpen. Many of the top free agent relievers (Brian Fuentes, Francisco Rodriguez) prefer to close however. A trade might be ideal here as well (Ron Mahay, Heath Bell, John Grabow, Kevin Gregg).
    I'm really liking what mlbtraderumors says about the Yankees future. I really like all of these options. I have been saying all along, the Yankees should go out and break the bank for Sabathia. I also think Teixeira is a great option at 1st base, and get rid of Giambi. I also agree that they need to revamp their pen. I think keeping Marte might be a better idea, since he's an easy in-house option, even though he's sucked since he got to NY. He's better than he's been performing lately. Trading for Heath Bell also might be a good option. With Melky Cabrera's struggles of late, I'm not as against trading him for a higher profile player as I used to be, although I'd still like to keep him if possible. He's really the Yankees only young outfield option outside of Brett Gardner, who's clearly not good enough to start yet, if ever.

My rank order of offseason importances:
    1. Get CC Sabathia at all costs
    2. Sign Mussina and Pettitte to 1-year deals if possible. I would take a 2 year deal for Pettitte. Not Moose. As good as he's been this year, he's got 1 year left in him tops, he showed us that at the end of last year.
    3. Revamp the pen, resign Marte. Options: Fuentes #1 (he should be ok with setting up Mo), trade for Bell #2, trade for someone else #3 (I like the options mlbtraderumors gives).
    4. Get a 1B. Options: Tex #1, Dunn #2 (I think he'd be great on this team), trading for one #3.

Starting pitching is clearly their #1 priority, and it very well should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Hank on the Yankees future

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I'm really liking what mlbtraderumors says about the Yankees future. I really like all of these options. I have been saying all along, the Yankees should go out and break the bank for Sabathia. I also think Teixeira is a great option at 1st base, and get rid of Giambi. I also agree that they need to revamp their pen. I think keeping Marte might be a better idea, since he's an easy in-house option, even though he's sucked since he got to NY. He's better than he's been performing lately. Trading for Heath Bell also might be a good option. With Melky Cabrera's struggles of late, I'm not as against trading him for a higher profile player as I used to be, although I'd still like to keep him if possible. He's really the Yankees only young outfield option outside of Brett Gardner, who's clearly not good enough to start yet, if ever.

My rank order of offseason importances:
    1. Get CC Sabathia at all costs
    2. Sign Mussina and Pettitte to 1-year deals if possible. I would take a 2 year deal for Pettitte. Not Moose. As good as he's been this year, he's got 1 year left in him tops, he showed us that at the end of last year.
    3. Revamp the pen, resign Marte. Options: Fuentes #1 (he should be ok with setting up Mo), trade for Bell #2, trade for someone else #3 (I like the options mlbtraderumors gives).
    4. Get a 1B. Options: Tex #1, Dunn #2 (I think he'd be great on this team), trading for one #3.

Starting pitching is clearly their #1 priority, and it very well should be.
    about #1) A lot of people say CC's personality is not a good fit for NY. I don't know if it's true, but that's something to think about.

about #3) You obviously haven't read the information regarding Fuentes. It's not that he thinks he's necessarily better than everyone, he just wants to close. He doesn't give a **** what team it is or what closer is already there, he refuses to be a set up man. It's not about Mo, its about the fact that Fuentes would not close for the Yankees. He (based on what he has said) wouldn't sign in NY.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

No Adam Dunn. Yes Mark T.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

....Nick Johnson? Hahahahaha!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.