Thread: Second Guessing a Move That Worked Out?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Random Second Guessing a Move That Worked Out?

It's certainly not unusual for us New York sports fans to second-guess every wrong decision one of our teams makes. Second-guessing a right one is certainly different, but that's exactly what I'm about to do, so brace yourselves: I disagree with Joe Girardi for bringing in Mariano Rivera last night. That's right, disagree for bringing in the greatest closer of all-time! And here's why: he should have left in Joba Chamberlain for the following reasons:
    a) Joba just finished a dominant 1-2-3 8th with 2 swinging strikeouts.
    b) Mo threw 2 innings and 31 pitches the day beforehand.
    c, and most importantly) Joba was scheduled to throw 50-55 pitches on his quest to become a starter. They finished the remaining 28 or so in the bullpen, but let's be honest: it's just not the same as an in-game experience! Yes, it was simulated, with Joba taking time in between pitches, the catcher giving the signals, etc, but it's just simply not the same. Joba should have stayed out there for the 9th and then finished up in the bullpen if necessary. Would Girardi have brought in Mo if there wasn't a day off today? My guess is that played a part in the decision. Either way it worked out with a scoreless ninth from Rivera but I disagreed and still disagree with the decision.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Second Guessing a Move That Worked Out?

I agree wholeheartedly with your synopsis and opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

AAA ERA

He is in a difficult spot, he has to win and transform Joba into a starter. Imagine if he left Joba inand he imploded in the 9th? Then the 2nd guessing would really have been vicious. The Yanks needed that W to avois a sweep and he went w/ his trusted closer. Yes he did pitch 2 innings the night before but none the day before that and he knew the Yanks had an off day the next day. If they didn't have a off day I could have seen him sticking w/ Joba.

MLB ERA

If he left Joba in in the 9th and he imploded, maybe the Yankees would find out that he's not ready to start yet, and that would be very helpful information
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

I don't think sacrificing a win to figure that out is worth it. Especially when that isn't a position a starter would normally face.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    It's certainly not unusual for us New York sports fans to second-guess every wrong decision one of our teams makes. Second-guessing a right one is certainly different, but that's exactly what I'm about to do, so brace yourselves: I disagree with Joe Girardi for bringing in Mariano Rivera last night. That's right, disagree for bringing in the greatest closer of all-time! And here's why: he should have left in Joba Chamberlain for the following reasons:
    a) Joba just finished a dominant 1-2-3 8th with 2 swinging strikeouts.
    b) Mo threw 2 innings and 31 pitches the day beforehand.
    c, and most importantly) Joba was scheduled to throw 50-55 pitches on his quest to become a starter. They finished the remaining 28 or so in the bullpen, but let's be honest: it's just not the same as an in-game experience! Yes, it was simulated, with Joba taking time in between pitches, the catcher giving the signals, etc, but it's just simply not the same. Joba should have stayed out there for the 9th and then finished up in the bullpen if necessary. Would Girardi have brought in Mo if there wasn't a day off today? My guess is that played a part in the decision. Either way it worked out with a scoreless ninth from Rivera but I disagreed and still disagree with the decision.
    You are seriously nuts.

We were 2 games under .500. Mo has given up one run in 23 IP, and converted all 13 saves this year.

Not to mention, we had just dropped two straight to the Orioles, and we were only up 2 runs.

Think about it from Girardi's vantage point at that time.

Here are your choices and outcomes.

Stick with Joba and win: Mo gets rest, Joba gets his work in, Yankees win. Everyone's happy.
    Stick with Joba and lose: You kept out the best closer in the history of baseball who has been almost perfect this year to get extra work for a pitcher...and it resulted in an Orioles sweep.
    Go to Mo and win: We know what happened...Mo gets his day of rest in between Series, and Joba finishes in the bullpen...
    Go to Mo and lose: It's his first BSV of the year...while a few people might question taking out Joba, the consensus is that Mo is the better option at that place in time.

Joe Girardi isn't playing for the best possible scenario. He's trying to win ballgames and keep the morale up for a last place team that is massively underachieving. Every manager in baseball would have made that move in that situation.

The second guessing here is ludicrous.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    If he left Joba in in the 9th and he imploded, maybe the Yankees would find out that he's not ready to start yet, and that would be very helpful information
    And they'd get swept by the O's and be forced to take at least 3 of 4 from the Twins...

Joba's morale would drop and so would the team's.

I can't believe you are seriously defending leaving Joba in...the risk is too high for a floundering last place team!

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    The object is to wins games first, you cannot put the development of one player above winning games. Mariano is the closer, he closed the game out and we won.