Thread: Joba's Father Collapses

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joba's Father Collapses

The Yankees likely will be without Joba Chamberlain on Monday night in Tampa Bay, as the reliever left the team on Sunday night to tend to his ailing father. According to sources, Harlan Chamberlain collapsed at his home in Lincoln, Neb. He was listed in critical condition at St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in Lincoln, a nursing supervisor there told the Daily News on Sunday night. Chamberlain learned the news after the Yankees' loss to the Red Sox at Fenway Park. Chamberlain's sister called a Yankees official during the eighth inning in an attempt to reach Chamberlain, who was in the bullpen at the time. After the game, a source said, Chamberlain returned the call, only to learn of his father's collapse. Sources said Chamberlain broke down in tears inside the clubhouse, as manager Joe Girardi consoled him. ... Harlan Chamberlain works as a prison counselor for the state of Nebraska and also as a ticket-taker at University of Nebraska sporting events.
    I hope that everything turns around for Harlan and the Chamberlain family. I saw this guy last year when Joba first came up and the guy knew his stuff and was of course very emotional seeing his son pitch in the Majors. Along with his recovery, I hope Joba won't let this affect him too much as he is one of the premier setup men in the league. Godspeed Harlan Chamberlain.

MLB ERA

Re: Joba's Father Collapses

Wow. His father was just on the new YES network show Yesterdays, and was in attendance at one of the very recent Yankees games.

Chamberlain is known for his emotion, but not like this. However, I'd proably react the same way. Good luck to him and his entire family, and I wish them the best. Hopefully he can return soon, but it's just a game, and family is WAY more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

ESPN - With father reportedly in critical condition, Joba heads home - MLB

Joba has been put on the bereavement list, understandably. He will miss minimum of 3 games, but this clearly goes well beyond a couple of games in April. The best of luck to Joba and his family, because this is a scary thing.

Joba, stay strong man.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I heard about this story. My prayers go out to the Chamberlien's family and friends, as well as the Yankees family in this time of need.

GOD Bless..

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joba Chamberlain's father is off the breathing ventilator, but he remains in critical care.
    He appears to be steadily improving, and Joba says he looks forward to being reunited with his team, but didn't mention when that could happen. He'll likely return in the next few days.
    Just an update.