Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/5 Yankees vs. Rays

Re: 4/5 Yankees vs. Rays

Solid 1-2-3 inning for ohlendorf. The Yankees have the top of the order up now (Damon, Jeter, Abreu). Lets see some magic here.

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomberz View Post
    They did last night
    I think that might have had something to do with the Rays scoring 7 in the 8th inning. Not much pressure on the bullpen when you are up by 9 runs.

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    Solid 1-2-3 inning for ohlendorf. The Yankees have the top of the order up now (Damon, Jeter, Abreu). Lets see some magic here.
    No magic today.

The damn Yankees are gonna piss me off all year.

And the Rays can go to hell

Turn 2

The damn Yankees are gonna piss me off all year.

And once again just last week I believe you were predicting them to go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    And once again just last week I believe you were predicting them to go all the way.
    30-3

Turn 2

30-3
    I like your enthuasim about your club, but once again you are living in dreamland. Yes there are several high paid players that are way over valued. If Jeter was on a smaller market team he would just be another Michael Young(who doesn't get the recognition he should because he is on the Texas Rangers. ) If Michael Young would have played for the Yankees his whole career he would have been looked upon as a God. As for Giambi who put up great #'s in Oakland in his early career. He was considered a very good player, but when he became a Yankee and thrust into the spotlight he was that same production player for the most part, but was more high profile. No better of a player , but more profile. A-Rod , yes he has been great everywhere he has played since he started, but granted being on the Yankees has lifted him to God like status as one of the best players around. I agree that he may be in the Top 5 players in the league, but the way he is plastered all over the place you would think he was Ty Cobb/Babe Ruth/Willie Mays/Hank Aaron all wrapped in one. Now for the Yankees that have been with them there whole career. Jorge Posada, not nearly the top catcher in the league. You have Russell Martin, Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, but Posada's name usually gets compared because he is on the Yankees. The expection to this is Mariano Rivera who deserves all the props in the world as one of the best closers or maybe the best closer of all time.

Nice post turn 2,
    I disagree with you on the Jeter comment. He has a .15 better BA over a longer career. Also, one of the reasons why Derek Jeter is so high profile, is because he emerged as a leader in the Yankees clubhouse. Also, he is one of the most clutch players in the game. I don't remember exact numbers, but last year he hit substantially better in more critical counts.

As for Giambi, he's just been a bum since coming off the juice. He was big before coming to the Yankees as he won an MVP with Oakland.

As for AROD, I don't know if the hype he is getting is comparable to those players that you mentioned. At the times, they were highly acclaimed as well, maybe even more so due to the fact that baseball was bigger back then, being the American past time that it is.

Turn 2

Good points made Bwitty. Just overall I think players that play in a much higer market get more exposure and some of these players are not worthy of this exposure.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Losing to the rays is like Michigan losing to Appalachian State
    That's one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard on this forum. Why don't you be a little more biased? And you wonder why people hate Yankee fans...
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Whatever browntown

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    That's one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard on this forum. Why don't you be a little more biased? And you wonder why people hate Yankee fans...
    Great comment. You know, I don't really mind that you back your team to the utmost, but when someone consistently shoots themselves in the foot with ridiculous comments it just makes them look bad.

I would have given you a rep for that, but for some reason it says I need to spread the reps around. And I don't ever remember giving you a rep before. Oh well, still a great post.

Turn 2,
    I would agree with you and I think that that is a natural phenomenon. However, I don't think you can devalue a player because of the exposure they get. Especially a guy like Jeter, who is a .317 career hitter.

There certainly are players on the Yankees who are over hyped, but I do not think Jeter is one of these guys. It may just be me, but I personally think he is under hyped. I would say that in this day and age, both him and young are under rated due to their lack of home run power, which is such a "star-ish" stat (not sure if star-ish is the right word).

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Whatever browntown
    No no no, don't "whatever" me.

You seem to have made it a personal vendetta of yours to go after the Rays all the time for no reason. Everyone else seems to agree they're a team on the rise and even if you don't, stop attacking them for no reason. Comparing ONE BASEBALL GAME to a football game featuring a #5 team versus a team in D-1A is ridiculous. Did you think the Yankees would beat the Rays in every single game this year? And please, stop attacking Turn 2 for being an Orioles fan all the time...she didn't even bring the Orioles into this.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Turn 2

Jeter is a great player, but I think if he was on the Marlins or Rays or even Rangers he wouldn't be a high profile. He would still be a great player, but he wouldn't have Credit Card commercial and all of that going for him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast