Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little reason to worry about Yankees' offense

Yankees Little reason to worry about Yankees' offense

Virtually every word of concern and worry expressed about the 2008 Yankees in the past couple of months revolved around their pitching.

The offense? Why waste time thinking about that when there seemed to be pitching issues galore?

The Yankees return virtually their entire lineup from 2007, when they led the American League in almost every offensive category, from runs to home runs to batting average. And though spring statistics don't mean much, if anything, the Yankees led the Grapefruit League in offensive production.

"We have opportunities to score and drive in runs all over this lineup," manager Joe Girardi said. "It's pretty good. There's a nice complement of speed, power and patience."
    Little reason to worry about Yankees' offense -- All Stars, Dolphin Stadium, Spring Training -- Newsday.com

The Yankees will have the #1 offense in the MLB.

Turn 2

Re: Little reason to worry about Yankees' offense

I agree that the strength with the Yankees lies in their offense, but Giambi is on the decline of his career as is Damon and Posada is heading that way as well.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I think Damon will have a better season this year actually, last year was just brutal...Giambi who knows, and Posada will do pretty well but no way he hits .330 again.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

There is little reason to worry about the Yankees offense UNTIL October. October is when this high powered O always fails led by Mr. Rodriguez.

MLB ERA

I see very little problem with their offense. The thing that scares me about the Yankees is their pitching questions. I would like to see how the bullpen(Hawkins/Albaladejo/whoever else) shakes up, and how Joba/Kennedy/Hughes handle a full season, and how Mussina pitches. I think they'll be fine, but I think that if they end up missing the playoffs, it's more likely to be because of pitching problems than hitting problems.

MLB ERA

The Yankees ABSOLUTELY TORE UP spring training. Cano and A-Rod in particular absolutely dominated. I'm excited for this year's offense. The pitching will work itself out, the only reason they're being so highly scrutinized is because they're the Yankees. Their problems are actually very minimal and will work themselves out as the season trudges on.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Yankees pitching is being scrutinized because it isn't that good. No one ever doubted the offense except in October as nyjunc pointed out. But the point is they might not make it to October with that pitching. Pettitte and Mussina are declining leaving Wang as the only sure thing in that rotation. I think Hughes and Kennedy will do fine in their first full season just not consistent. Joba will be watched closely and won't be setting up Rivera every time. Too many questions!!

And I have to say the Tigers will have the best offense in MLB in '08. Just look at that lineup and then realize they have Inge and Thames on the bench!! Pitching is a question mark with them too so its not just the Yankees being scrutinized.

MLB ERA

How can you say that Pettitte is declining? He pitched very very well last season, and would have had a better record if the offense didn't s*** the bed in the first month and a half. I'll give you Mussina, but definitely not Pettitte. I agree the young guys are going to be inconsistent. But that won't keep them out of October. These guys are not highly touted for no reason. They did very well last season in their limited time, and should continue this. Hughes had a freakin perfect game in the 6th inning of a game last season before he broke his leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I'll come somewhere in the middle of your two arguments. I don't think that Pettite will be as good as he was last year, but I think he will still be a very good starter, I just don't know if he is an ace. Wang is not an ace, but will be very very good. Mussina worries me, as do the young pitchers, if only because none of them have thrown as many innings as they will this year. And, if the Yankees decide to put an innings limit on the young pitchers(which i doubt), they will be in more trouble, because there will likely be a significant amount of innings unaccounted for.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

That's where Darrel Rasner comes in.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Yep, Darrel Rasner. The answer to all of your problems! haha

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    How can you say that Pettitte is declining? He pitched very very well last season, and would have had a better record if the offense didn't s*** the bed in the first month and a half. I'll give you Mussina, but definitely not Pettitte. I agree the young guys are going to be inconsistent. But that won't keep them out of October. These guys are not highly touted for no reason. They did very well last season in their limited time, and should continue this. Hughes had a freakin perfect game in the 6th inning of a game last season before he broke his leg.
    Pettitte will be 36 and his strikeouts are declining. Throw a steroid cloud on top of that and you got some trouble. Plus his WHIP sucks balls. Not a good sign but I guess you can say he did well for a #3 starter type. How can you say the young guys will be inconsistent but still make the playoffs in a division that has the defending champs and the Jays and Rays got better? I have no doubt Kennedy and Hughes will be studs, just not this year. These young guys are going to kill the bullpen just like the starters did last season. They will go 5 or six innings then give it over to the bullpen. The pitching will become thin again only this year the Yankees don't have "highly touted" guys to come in and help.

And yes, the Yankees will have something of an innings limit on these young guys. This is their future! Yankees have already said as much for Joba.

MLB ERA

I agree on Joba, but Hughes and Kennedy, if they put limits on them, they wont have a rotation that can give them sufficient innings. You just don't want to see the bullpen getting worn out...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The bullpen is already thin and I do see them getting worn out. That's why it doesn't look good but you do not want to risk injuries with guys like Hughes and Kennedy.

MLB ERA

Fair point. That's actually an interesting dilemma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast