Thread: Yankees sign Chad Moeller to a MLC

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees sign Chad Moeller to a MLC

TAMPA, Fla. -- As Chad Moeller unpacked his equipment bag on Monday, a red Nationals T-shirt and a blue Dodgers shaving bag also found their way into a fresh Legends Field locker.
    The colors, clashing wildly with the midnight blue of his newly-issued Yankees gear, served as carry-on luggage for a journeyman catcher latching on with a new organization.

Released by the Nationals on Sunday, Moeller signed a Minor League deal with New York on Monday with an invitation to big league camp. The Yankees are the 33-year-old's seventh organization.

"We need some depth at catching," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "That's the one thing that we talked about, trying to get some more depth. He provides that -- he's played plenty in the big leagues."

The Yankees' catching situation is cemented at the big league level, with veteran Jose Molina backing up starter Jorge Posada. But Moeller said that he has been told a starting job awaits at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

"They told me to come in and be ready to play this spring," Moeller said. "Catching is already set here, but it's an opportunity to go and play at Triple-A and be on the field. That's pretty much all you're asking for.

"I used to make fun of Mike Morgan, and now I'm chasing him," said Moeller of the pitcher who played for a record 12 Major League teams.

Moeller appeared in 37 games at the big league level last season, hitting .161 with one home run and two RBIs for the Reds and Dodgers. A .224 career hitter, he appeared in seven games with the Nationals this spring, going hitless in 11 at-bats before being released on Sunday.

"I knew it was going to be somewhere else than when I started this year, and I'm grateful that it's here," Moeller said. "It's another new team."

The Yankees had an immediate void to fill in their spring catching rotation after 22-year-old prospect Francisco Cervelli broke his right wrist in a violent home-plate collision on Saturday.

Moeller said that he had not followed coverage of the Cervelli collision, and declined to weigh in regarding the controversy of hitting a catcher hard during Spring Training play.

"No catchers enjoy that, but it's part of it," Moeller said. "I've been hurt that way before."
    Dear Jorge Posada and Jose Molina,
    Please don't get hurt.
    Love,
    Yankees fans everywhere
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees sign Chad Moeller to a MLC

Big news.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They needed him because Posada is another year older and Molina isn't that great.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Molina's real good for a backup catcher, and a helluva lot better than Chad Moeller.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A hell of a lot better? Nope but he is better. He certainly is getting paid like he is something but he's not.

MLB ERA

Moeller can play the position if the Yankees need him to. He isn't much of a hitter -- never was, but he calls a good game and handles young pitchers well.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon