Thread: Yankees buying into Girardi

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees buying into Girardi

ESPN - Yankees buying into new way of doing things under Girardi - MLB

Excellent article here. Joe G has really cemented himself as the new sheriff in town, which is exactly what he has to do. It's his team now and he should be free to run it as he sees fit. Looks like the players are getting used to him too. I'm excited for the Girardi era.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Re: Yankees buying into Girardi

very good article...looking forward to the start of the season

I was really rooting for the Reds to pick him up. Good job by the Yankees, a change of pace was obviously needed and Girardi is a great guy to bring in for it.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA

I don't know what I would do if the Yankees hired Dusty Baker.

AAA ERA

I hate these types of articles, what do they expect players to say? As a Jet fan I have seen the coaches change often(I did as a Yankee fan as a kid but we stunk back then) and every time a new coach comes in the players speak glowingly of them. I am excited about Girardi and think he'll do a great job(I have hoped Girardi would take over for Torre after Torre retired since Girardi was a player here) but let's talk to the players in July/August and see what they think.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I loved Girardi's ejection today. Bottom of the 9th inning so it's all good. Giambi gets a horrible call against him, umpire says that he fouled off a ball into the catcher's glove when clearly nothing like that happened, it was definitely a ball. Girardi comes out and gets in the umpire's face, tosses his baseball cap, goes to pick it up and tosses it again. Girardi really got his money's worth and got a nice standing ovation from the crowd. Good stuff.

MLB ERA

Absolutely horrific call. I love Girardi there lighting a fire under his team with his best Piniella impression

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    I loved Girardi's ejection today. Bottom of the 9th inning so it's all good. Giambi gets a horrible call against him, umpire says that he fouled off a ball into the catcher's glove when clearly nothing like that happened, it was definitely a ball. Girardi comes out and gets in the umpire's face, tosses his baseball cap, goes to pick it up and tosses it again. Girardi really got his money's worth and got a nice standing ovation from the crowd. Good stuff.
    THIS is EXACTLY why instant replay in baseball would be bad. Girardi wouldn't have a chance to back up his team. He'd go out, challenge, and get the call reversed. Managers being able to back up their team and light a fire under their ass would completely disappear
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Well, it depends on what instant replay is used for. If it is used just for homefuns then it doesn't affect that.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    Well, it depends on what instant replay is used for. If it is used just for homefuns then it doesn't affect that.
    you are correct. i think that should be the extent of the installment of it
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    THIS is EXACTLY why instant replay in baseball would be bad. Girardi wouldn't have a chance to back up his team. He'd go out, challenge, and get the call reversed. Managers being able to back up their team and light a fire under their ass would completely disappear
    Managers can still "light a fire" for their teams in the clubhouse, so to speak. If you even buy into that theory. There are plenty of other ways to do it then arguing a call.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Absolutely horrific call. I love Girardi there lighting a fire under his team with his best Piniella impression

I wouldn't call the call horrific. It was actually a lot closer than I'm sure you realize. Even the YES network announcers acknowledged that it DID sound as if the ball hit something. It may well have hit the knob of the bat, but I honestly could not tell. The call was definitely questionable, but definitely NOT horrific. It was a close call, can't REALLY be 100% clarified by replay. I don't think there'd be enough conclusive evidence to OVERTURN the call. It was close. It may have been wrong. But it wasn't THAT bad.