Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yankee's Offseason Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankee's Offseason Thread

If I were the GM of the Yankees, Rivera would have been signed to only a one year deal with Chamberlain setting him up. Much like the Rivera to Wetteland combo in 96.

MLB ERA

The Philadelphia Phillies reportedly have a mild interest in New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina. Pitching against National League lineups, without designated hitters, could extend Mussina's career long enough to boost his Hall of Fame hopes. He's no cinch to make the Yankees' starting rotation. -- Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
    Who could we get for Mussina?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Probably nothing. Then again, we totally fleeced them with Abreu, so who knows. Generally though, that is the danger of selling low, and let's face it... Moose's value is about nil. I'd say he is more valuable to us as a 5th/6th starter than he would be to the Phils.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see any way possible there is truth to that rumor.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    If I were the GM of the Yankees, Rivera would have been signed to only a one year deal with Chamberlain setting him up. Much like the Rivera to Wetteland combo in 96.
    Thus you're assuming Mariano Rivera would have agreed to a one-year deal to be the setup man.

Nonsense.

Edit: I misread that, but Rivera still wouldn't have accepted a one year deal.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Where else was Rivera going to get the money?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm sure that teams would have great financial interest in one of the best closers in baseball history.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No other team was willing to pay him what the Yankees offered and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I'm sure that teams would have great financial interest in one of the best closers in baseball history.
    What does being one of the best closers in baseball HISTORY have to do with how he's going to play over the duration of this contract? He's not nearly as good as he once was. What he did 10 years ago has absolutely no bearing on how he will play now. If Yogi Berra decided to comeback next year, would you give him $15 million per year, just because he WAS one of the greatest players ever??????

I'm sure there would have been interest in him, but the Yankees insanely high contract pretty much guaranteed nobody else would go after him. Nobody else would have been stupid enough to give him $45 million. The Yankees drove the price up against themselves, period!!!!!

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Who could we get for Mussina?
    Just getting rid of his salary would be a great trade, who we get in return wouldn't mean much BUT I remember reading he didn't want to go to philly b/c it's a hitters park.

MLB ERA

That isn't the Yankee way, IMO. They have a history of overpaying pitchers, at least recently.
    This said, Mussina is not likely going anywhere, unless the Yankees are willing to eat a lot of his contract. His stuff is simply not what it was even 2 years ago.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

AAA ERA

I am glad Andy admitted he took HGH, I believe his explanation but I am still disappointed. I believe he should be suspended for a while just as all users should be once caught.

I believe he should receive a lesser suspension because he admitted it after being accused and came clean. I also think that the guys that emphatically deny it after they have been accused, and then further investigation proves they were guilty should be thrown out for a minimum of 1 year, longer depending on the situation. I'm so sick of celebrities and athletes being accused of something, then they tell the whole world they didn't do it, only to find out later beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were guilty as hell. There needs to be some kind of incentive for these guys to come clean. I mean what happens when a guy denies it and then is found guilty anyways, he gets the same thing that he would have gotten had he not lied about it. Besides conscience why would any of them admit guilt. For example Clemens, what did they think he was going to say... Yeah, I been on the juice for 10 years. Of course he's going to deny it.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Everyone on that list who is an active mlb or minor league player needs to be suspended 60 days minimum. Cheaters must pay the price. In no way Andy's reply to admitting using HGH should cut his suspension time. All cheaters must pay the price.

Just go's to show the looser we have in major league baseball. Every team has cheaters now make them pay.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

But is it fair to hand down suspensions to any of these players that took HGH before it specifically became illegal? Not to mention Mitchell gives some pretty circumstantial evidence. Now I know Andy came out and admitted to it, but so did Giambi and Selig didn't suspend him. Selig is going to have to walk a fine line here. He already let players mentioned on the list off because there wasn't enough evidence to suspend them, and really, he doesn't have a lot of evidence on any of these guys, certainly nothing that would stand up in a court of law.

Now, MLB is not a court of law, I know, but I don't think justice was done with the Mitchell Report, and I don't it would be just for Selig to suspend every active player on that list on such flimsy evidence, especially considering the lack of a positive test and the timing of their use (before the new PED policy).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast