Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe should stay

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Joe should stay

I have not been a big Torre supporter, ever. But this season was not his fault. The offense didn't hit, our best pitcher didn't pitch. He has no control over what happened. Last season he certainly made some questionable decisions however this year is all on the players.

Come on George, bring Joe back.
    Save Phil Hughes

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Joe should stay

Torre should be allowed to stay as long as he wants to, but I will be rather surorised if he is the manager of the Yankees next season..

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I think he should stay, but the Boss is the Boss. He said Torre was gone if they didn't get past the Indians so I doubt he's going to bring him back.

However, this will be a tumultuous offseason for the Yankees. Alex Rodriguez has the option to opt-out of his current contract and hit up the FA market. That means the Yankees will be doing one of the following:

1. Trying to convince A-Rod to stay a Yankee and not opt out.

2. Try to resign A-Rod after he opts out of his current contract.

3. Trying to figure out what to do with the hole A-Rod left at third base.

Bringing Joe Torre back would bring stability. It would be hard bringing someone well known to play the hot corner to New York with a big hole at manager, or a manager nobody knows about.

However, of Torre is gone. I think Joe Girardi is a/the top canidate for the job.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

If Joe is gone, it could create quite the domino effect. Three of his old guard are also eligible to leave this season too. Posada and Mo will be free agents and Pettitte has a player option. This could be a very, very tumultuous offseason. But hey! It isn't New York without a little drama...

AAA ERA

I love Joe, he did a great job this year but we have gone out in the 1st rd 3 straight years. it's not his fault but we do need a shakeup. if he's back I'll be happy but if not I understand.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I agree completely, but I think the Boss has made up his mind and Joe is done. That's not going to have a good effect on who stays or who goes though...
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

If Joe is gone I will almost gaurantee that the Yankees will not have A-Rod and Rivera on the team next year. Pettite has a team option, but he could ask for the Yankees not to pick it up if Torre is gone.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Joe should stay

I heard on the ESPN radio that Rivera and Posada plan to test the market. That does not help Torre's cause much, IMO.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I think he is the right fit for the Yankees. Need a laid back personality to take the heat in the Big Apple, and I dont mean that as a shot against New Yorkers, just the truth or the stereotyoe outside NY.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No other manager in baseball could have gotten this team into the playoffs this year. The Yankees were supposed to lose to the Indians. Since Torre has been there they have gone to the playoffs every single year. Remember what is was like before? How many years and no ring? Steinbrenner and Cashman are more to blame than Torre. Spending over $200 million on some of the guys they did is the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Steinbrenner and Cashman are more to blame than Torre. Spending over $200 million on some of the guys they did is the real problem.

Real good point, if they had even half as many quality $13 million per year pitchers as they do $13 million position players we wouldn't be having this discussion. The problem with this team is simple... They were quite good in the regular season the last two years because their offense is the best ever assembled. Playoffs roll around, they meet teams with 2 or 3 real good pitchers and they are out. Good pitching will beat good hitting more often than not. Most teams have 1 or 2 quality starting pitchers at best, then their 3, 4, 5 starters are 5.00+ ERA guys that are fairly poor, this means about 60% of the time they are facing poor pitching and they beat the crap out of the ball, so the Yankees weak pitching doesn't show up, they give up 4 or 5 runs and still win. Playoffs roll around and some real good pitching comes into play along with some better than average offenses, and they get beat just like you would expect. We didn't even include their poor defense in this. Reminds me of some of the Red Sox teams I loved so much, lol. I know pitching is hard to come by, but pitching wins championships.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I totally agree also!!

I wouldn't throw Brian Cashman under the bus. He has been trying to rebuild one of the best rotations the Yankees have ever had since Roger, Wells, and Pettitte departed the first time after the 2003 World Series.

And look at the moves he made. He brought in Javy Vazquez. Did anyone think he would flop as badly as he did? He brought in Kevin Brown who was coming off of a fantastic season. He brought in Carl Pavano, who took less money to come here than the Red Sox and Tigers offered. He traded for Randy Johnson, basically giving up nothing. Those were the RIGHT moves at the time. I can't fault him for that.

Plus, look at all the guys he has plucked off the scrap heap that found success here: Jon Lieber, Shawn Chacon, Aaron Small, Tanyon Sturtze. Without those guys we wouldn't have even made the playoffs in 2004 and 2005.

And now consider, since 2004 the Yankees, under Brian Cashman, have been stockpiling the best collection of young pitching talent in baseball, by far. The depth is amazing. Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Horne, Marquez, Garcia, Whelan, Sanchez, Melancon, Robertson, Cox, etc.

I think Brian Cashman has done a pretty good job for the Yankees since he has gained control, but I'm not blaming this on Torre either. I am blaming what the Yankees are now, which is still a darn fine team mind you, on Steinbrenner's organizational philosophy. Big stars, big contracts, old veterans. Correcting the mistakes of the past wasn't going to happen over night.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I am a Cashman fan too!! I feel he is under-rated because everyone out there that anyone can do his job because of unlimited money (at least that is the preception outside New York). I would find it to work under that amount of stress as well.

I tip my cap to Cashman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast