The Steinbrenner boys have taken the reins, Yankees brass has told The Post.

Hank and Hal Steinbrenner will share leadership of father George's beloved Bronx Bombers in an arrangement to be further ironed out at top-level meetings in Tampa this week.

"George has taken on a role like the chairman of a major corporation," said team president Randy Levine. "He's been saying for years he's wanted to get his sons involved in the family business. Both of them have stepped up and are taking on the day-to-day duties of what's required to run the Yankees."

"There's always been a succession - and that's myself and my brother," Hank told The Post in an exclusive interview.

He said he and Hal will have final say on baseball decisions as well as the running of the YES Network and the construction of the new Yankee Stadium.

"I'll pay more attention to the baseball part. The stadium, that's more Hal. But basically everything will be decided jointly."

"What's nice is the Boss is there - he's an office door away," said Levine.

Last month, Hal Steinbrenner was named chairman of the board of Yankee Global Enterprises. Hank expects to take on a new title - one that won't be decided until a board vote this week, when the team's brain trust gathers to sort out issues such as whether to bring back manager Joe Torre.

"We'll be bringing everyone together . . . to discuss those things. For the first couple of meetings, it will just be me, Hal, my dad and the usual cast," Hank said.

One decision has already been made: Joba Chamberlain, an emerging star who pitched in relief this season, will join fellow youngster Phil Hughes in the starting rotation in 2008.

"That's something I'll insist on," said Hank.

Oh how I wish I was George's child...