Thread: Jeter still winning great shortstop debate

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Jeter still winning great shortstop debate

Source: NY Post - Kevin Kernan

June 17, 2007 -- THERE is nothing better than a challenge, and Derek Jeter is making the most of the battle of New York shortstops.

Jeter scorched four hits yesterday, including a two-run home run to left in the fourth, the key blow in the Yankees’ 11-8 Subway Series victory over the Mets at Yankee Stadium. Jeter doubled to right in the first to stretch his latest hitting streak to 11 games. In the sixth, he singled to center, moved to second on a ground out, stole third and scored.

Then he singled to right in the seventh, his first four-hit game in more than a year.

In many ways the Jose Reyes vs. Jeter battle is this era’s version of Willie, Mickey and the Duke. Jeter loves to watch Reyes play. Reyes feels the same about Jeter.

“Derek is ready for any challenge,” Johnny Damon said. “That’s why he’s proven over the last 13 years why he is one of the best in the league.”

Alex Rodriguez hit another monster home run and knows something about putting up numbers at the shortstop position.

“I’m not surprised,” Rodriguez said of Jeter’s performance. “Derek is a fantastic player, and Reyes is an upcoming superstar. It’s just good to see great talent. I play the game, but I’m also a big fan of the game, and I’m a huge fan of both those guys, and David Wright too.”

Wright weighed in, saying, “I’m a huge fan of Derek Jeter, and I’m a huge fan of Jose Reyes. Both those guys play the game the right way. I can’t think of anybody to better mold your game after than Derek Jeter.”

That’s what the Subway Series is all about: New York’s greatest stars facing off on the same field. Even Jeter admitted this subway ride brings out the best,although he made it clear he never looks at it as a direct competition with Reyes.

This is fire and ice. Reyes is pure energy.

“I love playing here,” the 24-year-old said of Yankee Stadium. “There is so much energy in the ballpark.”

The old guy, who will turn 33 in nine days, likes playing at the Stadium, too. When you look back at the Yankees 20 years from now, Jeter will be the Joe DiMaggio of this team. He already has more hits than Joe D. Jeter’s style and class will be remembered as well as his Hall-of-Fame-caliber play and championship rings.

In the second, Tom Glavine snuck a fastball over the inside corner for a called strike before getting Jeter to fly to right. Jeter was ready for that same pitch in his next at-bat and powered it deep over the left-field fence to put the Yankees on top for good.

“This time I decided to swing,” Jeter said with a smile.

Reyes stole three bases Friday night and two more yesterday, giving him 37 on the season. Yankees starter Tyler Clippard basically punched his ticket back to the minors when he issued a leadoff walk to Reyes.

Jeter is batting .343, Reyes.319. Reyes has 48 runs scored, Jeter 49. Reyes has three home runs, Jeter has hit five. Reyes has knocked in 32 runs, Jeter owns 33 RBIs. They are mirror images of one another in so many ways, although each has his own distinct style. The impressive numbers can go on forever. That’s what makes this argument so interesting.

Right now, though, Jeter wins this race. Jeter remains at the top of his game and can do so much in big-game situations and provides leadership through experience.

Reyes is going to get even better as time goes on. In the end, his skills may surpass Jeter’s talents. Jeter’s stolen base in the sixth was only his seventh of the season, but it helped break the game open.

In so many different ways this game belonged to Jeter and the scoreboard reflected that, not just in the final score. In each inning from the second through the sixth, the Yankees scored two runs - 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.

Once again, in this latest chapter of the Subway Series, No. 2 was everywhere.
    It's incredible how dominant Jeter has been against the Mets - this year, the 2000 WS, just his entire career in general. To me, Jeter is the prototypical shortstop even if he does struggle defensively at times, and Reyes is right there with his unbelievable skill set. Reyes is some player and is only going to get better, but I can't take anybody over Jeter personally.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

Re: Jeter still winning great shortstop debate

Both players are amazing, reyes is Rickey-like when he gets on base, you expect he'll be on 3rd after a few pitches. he is really disruptive, the 2 players while playing the same position are very different but as great as reyeys is I wouldn't take anyone over #2.

That is true. Jeter is the best SS in the game.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Jeter still winning great shortstop debate

I love the way both SS play the game. But if I need a hit in the clutch, is there any question in baseball who anyone would want???

Jeter is better than Reyes. Reyes is young, talented, and exciting, but not proven yet.

Can Reyes catch a ball while flying to the stands? I think not!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Jeter still winning great shortstop debate

or near home plate like Jeter was in the playoffs against the A's... intangibles are so unappreciated, but OH SO, important!!!