Thread: Yankees pick NC State RHP Andrew Brackman

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yankees pick NC State RHP Andrew Brackman

The Yankees went big with their first selection of Thursday's First-Year Player Draft, choosing North Carolina State junior right-hander Andrew Brackman with the 30th overall pick.

A 6-foot-10, 230-pound hurler, Brackman had been projected by some to be a possibility for the first five or 10 picks of the Draft. Brackman was 6-4 with a 3.81 ERA in his junior season. He allowed 78 hits in 78 innings, striking out 74 and walking 37 while holding opponents to a .264 batting average.

Clocked between 92-97 mph with his two-seam and four-seam fastballs, Brackman also features a low-80s knuckle-curveball and a mid-80s changeup. He has not pitched since May 12 at Virginia because of inflammation in his right elbow, but an MRI performed by North Carolina State reportedly showed no structural damage.

Also a basketball player for two seasons at NC State, Brackman made three relief appearances as a freshman and posted a 1.29 ERA, while he was 4-0 with a 2.25 ERA as a starter. Injury problems hindered the Cincinnati native's sophomore campaign, as he pitched in only seven games due to a stress fracture in his left hip and finished 1-3 with a 6.35 ERA.

Brackman's selection continued a trend for the Yankees, who selected right-handed pitchers in the first three picks of last year's Draft, taking Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain and Zack McAllister. Brackman is represented by the Scott Boras agency.

The 30th selection is the latest the Yankees have ever selected in the first round of a Draft. New York also owns picks at 94, 124, 154 and 184.

I really like this pick...Yanks are definitely overhauling their farm system. Kid has some serious upside and is also EIGHT FEET TALL
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

Re: Yankees pick NC State RHP Andrew Brackman

I have seen Brackman play basketball but I've never seen him pitch. It sounds like a good pick w/ alot of potential. If all goes according to plan w/in a couple of years we are going to ahve a pretty good, YOUNG staff.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

I'm down on this pick. Tall, lanky guy which means inconsistent mechanics. He hasn't been dominant in his college career and he's already 22, I believe. That doesn't take into account his sketchy injury history.

There's a huge difference between 92 and 97 fastballs, so I dunno what to make of that lol other than lack of information. Kinda sucks that he's coming off injuries which lowered his stock, but hey, if he bounces back it'll end up being a hell of a steal for the Yanks

I hope he pans out and becomes the next rocket.