Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanks appear more interested in Teixiera than Helton

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yanks appear more interested in Teixiera than Helton

As for outside options, the Yankees appear to have no interest in the massive contract of Todd Helton of the Colorado Rockies. They are more interested in exploring the idea of a trade for Mark Teixeira of the Texas Rangers, but the Rangers want premium pitching prospects and the asking price would seem likely to drop as the July 31 trading deadline approaches.
    So here we go. This team has Giambi who is possibly out for the season. Doug (wont spell the last name) and now need a better threat. Helton and Teixiera are premier stars. Which one do you take?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Yanks appear more interested in Teixiera than Helton

I have concerns about both of them. Helton I would love as a defensive star and a solid hitter but his contract is huge. And Teixeira would cost us a great deal of our farm system which I don't want to deplete.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Helton, Helton, Helton.

.300 Hitter, Power, good Defense. We have the money, and most likely wouldn't lose much.

If we deal for Teix, say good by to a good hitter and a top spec, or a bunch of Top Specs. As is evidenced by this year, we aren't in a place to deal specs.

ARod is already the righty power bat, we should take Helton and the Dave Justice season he's going to bring after we got Justice from the Indians.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yankees will get neither as they don't have the specs to get these guys. Plus Helton has a no trade clause.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Yankees will get neither as they don't have the specs to get these guys. Plus Helton has a no trade clause.
    1) According to Baseball Prospectus, the Yankees have the #4 minor league system and #1 for pitching, and I'm pretty sure Baseball America had them #5 or #7. Gone are the days when people just assume the Yankees have no prospects.

2) You think he wouldn't revoke that for going from the Rockies to the Yankees?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Excuse me but I have seen these so called top pitching prospects and haven't been impressed and I'm sure teams around the league will agree with me. And no I don't think Helton would waive his no trade clause to go to NY but he is a low key guy and the Rockies are actually in a better spot than the Yankees.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Excuse me but I have seen these so called top pitching prospects and haven't been impressed and I'm sure teams around the league will agree with me. And no I don't think Helton would waive his no trade clause to go to NY but he is a low key guy and the Rockies are actually in a better spot than the Yankees.
    1) If you think Matt DeSalvo, Chase Wright, and Jeff Karstens are part of our "so called top pitching prospects" you're wrong...unless you've gone down to the minors and personally scouted guys like Dellin Betances, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, J Brent Cox etc
    2) If you think the Rockies are going to finish the season in a better spot than the Yankees you're crazy, and I'm sure Helton's loved not having a playoff berth with Colorado over his career.

MLB ERA

Helton won't cause specs, simply because the Rockies can't have everything. They want specs, they're going to have to cover some $. If they don't want to cover the $, they take middle of the run guys like DeSalvo and others of the like and be done with it.

And Clippard has pitched well...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    1) If you think Matt DeSalvo, Chase Wright, and Jeff Karstens are part of our "so called top pitching prospects" you're wrong...unless you've gone down to the minors and personally scouted guys like Dellin Betances, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, J Brent Cox etc
    2) If you think the Rockies are going to finish the season in a better spot than the Yankees you're crazy, and I'm sure Helton's loved not having a playoff berth with Colorado over his career.
    1) No I don't scout guys that are in Single A because what's the point? They have a long way to go. Your pride and joy Phillip Hughes might be done for the year and the Rockies want something good for getting rid of one of the best hitters in the past 10 years.

2) The Rockies have a better shot to make the playoffs than the Yankees because they play in the NL and the West is so competitive that no one team will run away with it unlike the AL East. Right now the Rockies are only 6.5 games out while the Yankees are 12.5 games out. Again, why would Heloton want to go to NY?

Dry, the Rockies can't have everything but they can ask for it. If the Yankees are in panic mode, why not ask for it. The Rockies don't have to give Helton up and are the desperate ones. The Rockies will have to eat some of that contract but aren't just going to give the Yankees a nicely wrapped present for nothing. This is their only HOF type player in the history of the franchise. This won't be a Bobby Abreu type of deal. The Yanks are desperate, not the Rockies. Rockies hold all the cards if a deal was to happen. Same with Teixiera.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Rockies' owners must enjoy the remaining $90 million debt on their hands that comes with holding all the cards.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's more like $70 mil since counting this season's salary would be pointless and Helton helps put the asses in the seats. Rockies have a good offense and keeping their franchise player makes more sense than trading it.

If I'm Texas, I accept nothing less than Phil Hughes for Mark Teixeira. Teixeira's an elite hitter and I don't think the Yankees have a potential elite hitter outside of Tabata (who is far away) in their system.

If I'm Colorado, I try to get a couple middling prospects out of NY and give them Helton's absurd deal.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If the Rockies wanted average players, they would trade Garrett Atkins.

Except Garrett Atkins is very cheap at this point and Helton has a contract through 2011 at eight digits per year and had declined for three straight years prior to this year. And Atkins plays 3B.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I wasn't talking about trading him to the Yankees. Atkins has been shopped around and the Angels have shown interest. And the fact that he is cheap makes him more likely to be traded. Why trade your second best player for a simple salary dump and on top of that trade him for nothing? Makes zero sense. Helton is the leader and now role player for guys like Holliday and Hawpe and those three will be in that lineup for years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast