The Yankees plan to limit top prospect Philip Hughes to no more than 180 innings this season. The question is how many - if any - will come in the major leagues.

The 20-year-old right-hander has been invited to spring training. But expectations are that he will start the season with Triple-A Scranton. Hughes was 12-6 with a 2.16 ERA last season. Counting the playoffs, he pitched 152 innings.

"I think there's some chance he can make the team out of spring training. I would never count someone of his ability out," vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman said yesterday during a conference call. "The best-case scenario is you give him a little time in Triple-A. It's not beyond reasonable that he would make an impact (in the majors) sometime this year."

The Yankees have proceeded cautiously with Hughes as he moves through the organization. Studies have shown that loading innings on young arms can lead to injuries.

"We think of him as a long-term, high-end starter for the Yankees. So we don't want to sacrifice the long term for a short-term need," Newman said. "Admittedly, that's hard to do with our franchise and with our city. But we're going to do the best we can to protect him over the long run."

Veteran Mike Mussina, speaking before the Thurman Munson Awards Dinner last night, agreed.

"He's got ability, he's got skill, he's got an idea, and he had a good year last year," Mussina said. "I don't know if they should be throwing him into the fire at 20, 21 years old, but he's not very far away. ... I hope they let the kid go out there and develop and be a strong major-league pitcher when it's time to ask him to be."

Newman said Hughes was the best pitching prospect the Yankees have had since he joined the organization in 1989.

Two of the pitchers the Yankees received in trades over the winter - Humberto Sanchez and Ross Ohlendorf - could help the Yankees this season, Newman said. He also thinks highly of reliever Kevin Whelan, who was obtained from the Tigers.

The Yankees also believe strongly in three pitchers they drafted last June: Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain and Dellin Betances. All three already have reported to the team facility in Tampa, Fla., and started workouts.

Young outfielder Jose Tabata, a spring-training invitee, also reported early, as did 17-year-old Venezuelan catcher Jesus Montero. The Yankees plan to have Montero start his career in the Gulf Coast League.

"He's got huge power," Newman said. "We've never had a Latin player with that kind of power."

The Yankees named former big-leaguer Jody Reed the manager of their Gulf Coast League team.

Good idea. Young pitching is way too valuable to take any chances with these days and Hughes could be a future ace. The entire organization seems to be high on this kid and it would be wrong to overwork him.