Thread: its time to stop ****ing around with the chacons and ponsons of the world...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

its time to stop ****ing around with the chacons and ponsons of the world...

call up phil hughes, and dont send him down after a bombing or two. stick with the kid, for the rest of his career, because he without a doubt cannot and will not be worse than shawn chacon, aaron small, sidney ponson, kris wilson, or whatever other bum of the month they pick up off the waiver wire.

its either that or... we can hope hideki irabu wants to make a comeback in the states.

MLB ERA
    **** that! Hughes is filthy, but this is very similar to the Reds situation with Bailey. I would be worried that if we did bring him up, he would just manuever to get outs, and not actually pitch his game. He'd end up sticking with what worked, and would be a mediocre pitcher. But if we leave him down until he tortures in AAA, then we could have a future ace.

And the latest he'll be down IMHO is next June. Just give him a bit more time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    if hes a smart pitcher, he should learn even quicker from facing major league hitting. the only concern i would have is that he's 20, and you dont wanna **** around with his arm this young. but seeing as chacon or whoever else only gives us 5 innings of 6 run baseball... on their best of days... we can afford to baby along hughes, as he gives us 5 innings of 2 run baseball. and i will take that for the remainder of this season.

im not worried about his stuff or mental makeup improving by facing major league hitting though. if hes as good as they say he is... then the learning should be accelerated by being in the majors.

MLB ERA
    OK, but for the very few Scott Kazmir's, there are a ton of Darren Dreifort's out there. Maybe just a bit more time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    correct me if im wrong though... but dreifort was a monster, and then injuries killed him, right?

MLB ERA
    Yeah. but he got rushed too. They were planning on giving him more seasoning, and they rushed him up. He did terrible his first year and it looked like he rebounded until he got hurt.

But there are so many more. Just ask Tigers, Mets and Reds Fans.

Andy Van Hekken, Jeff Weaver, Paul Wilson, Bill Pulsipher and many many more.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    wilson and pulsipher were just overrated new york prospects... like so many other met and yankee spects. izzy was legit, but they did indeed overuse him (in the minors, that is) and **** him up.

but on the other end... seattle is playing it right with felix, would you not agree? theyre not burning him out, but theyre letting him get his innings in the pros... i dont see any reason we cant do with hughes what seattle did with felix last year.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    if hes a smart pitcher, he should learn even quicker from facing major league hitting. the only concern i would have is that he's 20, and you dont wanna **** around with his arm this young. but seeing as chacon or whoever else only gives us 5 innings of 6 run baseball... on their best of days... we can afford to baby along hughes, as he gives us 5 innings of 2 run baseball. and i will take that for the remainder of this season.

im not worried about his stuff or mental makeup improving by facing major league hitting though. if hes as good as they say he is... then the learning should be accelerated by being in the majors.
    Two words one name why you dont wanna junk around with a young guy like that BEFORE HE'S READY....

Ryan Wagner.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

We are going to have a real tough time getting any front line pitcher before the deadline without giving up the farm, so we may as well bring up the guy we have on the farm. Shit, our pitching is awful. Give me 5 Chien-Ming Wangs and we'd win 130 games.
    What is the worst source of diarrhea ?
    A)A bowl of chili, or
    B)Curt Schilling's mouth

Quote Originally Posted by yhova
    We are going to have a real tough time getting any front line pitcher before the deadline without giving up the farm, so we may as well bring up the guy we have on the farm. Shit, our pitching is awful. Give me 5 Chien-Ming Wangs and we'd win 130 games.
    QFT. Sadly I don't even know what can be done at this point. Cashman hit the ****ing jackpot last year with Chacon and Small, but the chances of that happening again are a little below zero. The problem now is, who are they going to get, and if they can answer that, who in the hell are they going to give up for him. I hate to say it, but I'm not feeling good about the second half of this season unless Pavano or Dotel magically come off the DL in star form. As it stands, the yankees have 3 legitimate starting pitches, top 1-3s in almost any rotation each with 11 wins. (Moose 1, Wang 2, Randy 3). Then you have Jared Wright *gag* who let's face it has some talent and some stuff, but it just doesn't come together. He can be effective but usually isn't, but he's a 4th starter so I'll deal with the ups and the downs. Then the 5th slot....3 guys competing for it, none of which should even be pitching in the majors right now, which is why they all got cut within the last year...

Something's gotta change...what? I dunno. Injuries murdered us this year.