Thread: Potential Mets Managers

MLB ERA

Mets Potential Mets Managers

The following is a list of potential managers who have been mentioned in connection with the Mets:

Final 4:
    -Terry Collins (Current Mets Minor League Field Coordinator, Former Astros, Angels, and Japanese League Manager)
    -Chip Hale (Current Mets Third Base Coach)
    -Bob Melvin (Former Diamondbacks Manager, Scout in Mets system)
    -Wally Backman (Former Met, Current Mets A-Ball Manager)

Likely Eliminated:
    -Don Wakamatsu (Former Mariners Manager)---Hired as Bench Coach by Toronto Blue Jays
    -Bobby Valentine (Former Mets, Rangers, and Japanese League Manager)---Seems like he was never a real candidate
    -Clint Hurdle (Former Rockies Manager, current Rangers Hitting Coach)---Hired as Manager by Pittsburgh Pirates
    -John Gibbons (Former Blue Jays Manager, Former Royals Bench Coach)---Denied interest in Mets job

Gibbons has already bowed out, saying "They need someone more high profile than me." Valentine is a fan favorite in NY, but I doubt the front office brings him back after the way things ended last time around. Wally Backman has fan support too, but I'm not sure how the front office feels about him as a manager, considering he has limited managerial experience. The other choices tend to be underwhelming. And I don't want Joe Torre to manage my team. Not that he's a bad manager, just a bad fit.
    Last edited by ljshorty89; 11-16-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Updated for Final 4

MLB ERA

Re: Potential Mets Managers

Torre won't be coming back. Some guys I think would be very good choices, Gibbons, Melvin, and I'm a big Wakamatsu fan. He was given absolute shit to work with in Seattle. It's too bad Gibbons bowed out. That he would have been a good hire. Hurdle also would be a decent hire. They shouldn't promote an A-ball manager all the way to the majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I'm not upset by Gibbons bowing out, the issues he had with his players scare me. Melvin, I'm iffy on, I don't know much about him. Wakamatsu is intriguing. Valentine would be my favorite, but I don't think it will happen. What I really think I want at the end of the day, is to sign an experienced manager (Again, preferably Valentine), and let Backman be the bench coach or base coach to learn the ropes, to eventually take over.

Another guy who I'll add to the list of people mentioned is Tim Teufel, another Ex-Met, played in the 1986 World Series, and is managing successfully in AA right now in the Mets system. I wouldn't mind him either...

MLB ERA

Apparently Backman was on Alderson's initial list of potential managers during the GM interview process. Backman will be flying in for his interview this week.

The most highly thought of candidates are Backman, Collins, and Hurdle, according to Andy Martino (Beat Writer for the NY Daily News). Not sure how much that concerns Alderson. Sandy said he'd hire a manager within about 30 days...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I like Clint Hurdle. He did a great job with the Rockies and was wrongfully fired in my opinion. Hurdle has a great sense of humor and I think that will bode well for NY.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I like Clint Hurdle. He did a great job with the Rockies and was wrongfully fired in my opinion. Hurdle has a great sense of humor and I think that will bode well for NY.
    He actually does have Mets ties, having played parts of 3 seasons with the Mets, and started his post-playing career managing in the Mets Minor League system. I have the typical fan affinity for a Backman, Teufel, Valentine because of their strong ties to the organization. But Hurdle...could definitely hire a worse manager.

MLB ERA

Whoever is chosen to be the next Mets manager will not have the "pleasure" of having Razor Shines on their coaching staff. Shines was let go yesterday. While I (and every other Mets fan) will miss his AWESOME name, I'm not really sure what he brought to the table. He was a mediocre base coach, and seemed out of place.

Nonetheless, I wish Razor the best of luck wherever he goes.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I like Clint Hurdle. He did a great job with the Rockies and was wrongfully fired in my opinion.
    Well, his successor did go on to win Manager of the Year honors that year. Even I would be hard pressed to argue they were wrong to fire Hurdle.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So now you put stock into Manager of the Year? Wasn't Hurdle's fault the team was beat up.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

I think Melvin is a leading canidate for the Pittsburgh job.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So now you put stock into Manager of the Year? Wasn't Hurdle's fault the team was beat up.
    I don't. But I mention the award because it has the bells-and-whistles effect. Kind of like how 20 Wins is an indication that a pitcher has a good year.

MLB ERA

And the Mets have now announced their Final 4 choices for manager: Backman, Hale, Collins, and Melvin. Not bad choices, and Alderson says he wants to name a Manager by Thanksgiving. I'm intrigued to see how this all turns out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not bad but not good either.

MLB ERA

Not bad but not good either.
    Idk, the sense I get from all reports is that Hurdle didn't really want the Mets job (probably didn't want the NY pressure), and that Alderson wanted someone who'd buy into the new "Mets Mindset", and felt someone without as much MLB experience and the kind of name that would preclude him from giving up power would do that best. I'm not ready to judge until we see how it all plays out.

MLB ERA

And Collins is the winner. Post coming up with my initial thoughts