Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets Make A Deal!

MLB ERA

Mets Mets Make A Deal!

The Mets have acquired OF Jeff Francoeur and cash from the Braves in exchange for OF Ryan Church.

Francoeur, who is eligible for arbitration after this season, is batting .250 with 5 HR and 35 RBI this season.

I didn't like the deal when I first heard it, but upon looking more closely, I think it's a good deal…the Mets needed to shake up the roster…the potential francoeur has is much greater than that of church, plus the Mets lose nothing on the defensive side…

The way I see it, they're very similar players. Both are about .265-.280 hitters, with 20-25 HR power. Francouer is 5 years younger. Francouer is under arby, Church isn't. I'll take Frenchy.
    Last edited by ljshorty89; 07-10-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: More specific details of the trade

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Mets Make A Deal!

Have fun with all the strikeouts.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Frenchy showed more potential his first few seasons then Church has. Frenchy is 25, Church is 31. Frenchy plays every day every year, Church has been on the DL 3 times in the last 2 seasons....

MLB ERA

Yes!!! No more double plays!!! We'll only make one out now instead of two!!!!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    Yes!!! No more double plays!!! We'll only make one out now instead of two!!!!
    I feel like Mets fans are trying to justify this trade with the word potential... if Braves fans have this reaction, him being on the block for a year shows that the interest across the league was limited...this seems like a deal the Mets might regret if Church hits .285 starting in CF for the Braves.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I feel like Mets fans are trying to justify this trade with the word potential... if Braves fans have this reaction, him being on the block for a year shows that the interest across the league was limited...this seems like a deal the Mets might regret if Church hits .285 starting in CF for the Braves.
    Church is not a good CF. He's mediocre. Francouer has a better arm and is the defensive equivalent. Church can't hit lefties worth a damn. Francouer has a low OBP. Overall, they're kinda similar players. I'd rather have a 25 year old with room to grow than a 30 year old who's been "average" in 2 different cities, both under pressure and without pressure. Church has one arby year left, Frenchy has 2. Church can't stay healthy, Frenchy has played 152+ games in each of the last 3 years. To me, the Mets were never gonna win with Church, so the move is decent....not excellent, but not moronic either.

MLB ERA

I honestly think the Braves got the better of the deal. Church is a "grinder", Francouer is one who needs a bit more coaching. Francouer may be more talented, but has yet to make the adjustments necessary to be a star.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Frenchy has been regressing since his 1st season, although I still think he can turn it around. If he does, the Mets are the clear winners here, but that's a very large "if."
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I think it's complete crap. First Smoltz, Glavine and now Francouer. I haven't been able to keep up with what he has done since I left the states but still everyone has a slump. I have not like Wren the moment he took over. I can't wait til the day he is no longer the GM. I leave for 6 months and when I get back nothing will be the same. This Braves fan is not happy. I live for the Braves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

It would be wonderful if everyone stopped calling him "Frenchy." I can't take him or anyone seriously when the word "Frenchy" is used to describe a baseball player.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Braves Re: Mets Make A Deal!

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    It would be wonderful if everyone stopped calling him "Frenchy." I can't take him or anyone seriously when the word "Frenchy" is used to describe a baseball player.
    I don't expect anyone other than Braves fans to call him that. I don't call him by that nick name sometimes because those who don't follow the Braves typically won't know what the hell I'm talking about.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Dude, Frenchy has been terrible. He is my favorite player, has been since he came into the majors. So A) I will call him that whenever I want and B) it is a very good thing he is out of Atlanta. He isn't in a "slump", unless slumps can last two years. He wasn't turning things around, and he needs to be somewhere else. The fact is, though, that he does have potential. Tons of it. You don't drive in 100 runs multiple times, hit 30 homers, and win a gold glove and then lose those skills. He has them. But he wasn't figuring it out in Atlanta.

It's sad to see my favorite player leave, but it is better both for him and for the Braves.

And sorry that you think it sucks that Smoltz, Glavine, and Francoeur are gone, but none of them are good and we are a better team without them. Quit living in the past, and start living in the future. The glory days of Atlanta baseball are gone, and we have to do some things we might not like to get them back.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm a little surprised that the Mets and Braves actually make trades with each other when they're intra-division and all that. Doubt we'll see the Yankees making any trades with the Red Sox anytime soon.

MLB ERA

I can live in the past as much as possible. Life goes on. I didn't like AJ leaving but it happens. I can always live in the past. Its nice to think about but I come back to reality when I want.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    I'm a little surprised that the Mets and Braves actually make trades with each other when they're intra-division and all that. Doubt we'll see the Yankees making any trades with the Red Sox anytime soon.
    Before this trade, it hadn't happened since like 1996 or something. It's very uncommon, but it happens rarely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast