Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Murphy almost...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Question Daniel Murphy almost...

..threw out the pitcher at home plate!

So is his bat really worth the .."defense" he brings? Did Juan Pierre even have a system to throw to the shortstop on fly balls like Murphy has?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Daniel Murphy almost...

Murphy's arm isn't weak. they just set up his throw to the Shortstop because Reyes' arm is excessively strong, and can help if Murphy tries to throw on the run(which could happen because he's an infielder by trade).

Plus, Murphy is hitting .320, has scored 12 runs, and driven in like 7. He's a rookie learning a new position, you don't give up that offense when he's still learning.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm sorry but Murphy couldn't throw out Joel Pineiro when Murphy had the ball and Joel hadn't even touched third yet. That was pathetic to put it lightly!! I could have thrown him out by a mile and I haven't thrown a baseball from the outfield in six years!! That's no joke either. Catcher did do a poor job of blocking the plate but it should have never been that close.

MLB ERA

Murphy fell down trying to catch a fly ball. He overshot it coming in and couldn't turn around in time so he just fell down his defense is mediocre at best, if not poor, right now
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Murphy fell down trying to catch a fly ball. He overshot it coming in and couldn't turn around in time so he just fell down his defense is mediocre at best, if not poor, right now
    That I will forgive because it was wet and he wasn't the only one to slip and fall in that game. He almost recovered but couldn't do the ass hop to get it.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Murphy's left field adventures are going to be one of the most interesting subplots to follow this season.

And what's the "ass hop" exactly?

MLB ERA

Just wait until the Padres put Kyle Blanks in the outfield.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sit on your ass and try to catch a line drive and then you will know

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    That I will forgive because it was wet and he wasn't the only one to slip and fall in that game. He almost recovered but couldn't do the ass hop to get it.
    It was his fault though. It's not like he got to the spot where the ball was going to fall and couldn't stop. He misjudged the fly ball and went too far, stopped, then realized he was too far in, tried to go backwards, and that's when he slipped. If he hadn't misjudged it in the first place he wouldn't have made a complete fool of himself
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I'm sorry but Murphy couldn't throw out Joel Pineiro when Murphy had the ball and Joel hadn't even touched third yet. That was pathetic to put it lightly!! I could have thrown him out by a mile and I haven't thrown a baseball from the outfield in six years!! That's no joke either. Catcher did do a poor job of blocking the plate but it should have never been that close.
    Disagreed. The throw was a one hopper to the plate, that would have had Pineiro out if Castro hadn't waited for it BEHIND home plate. His throw was fine. Not to mention that I don't think Pineiro was that far from home when Murphy got the ball.

It was his fault though. It's not like he got to the spot where the ball was going to fall and couldn't stop. He misjudged the fly ball and went too far, stopped, then realized he was too far in, tried to go backwards, and that's when he slipped. If he hadn't misjudged it in the first place he wouldn't have made a complete fool of himself
    You're completely wrong. Did you even watch the play? He took one step back, then started coming in on the ball, got to the spot where IT WOULD HAVE HIT HIM IN THE CHEST, and slipped on a wet track. You're COMPLETELY wrong.

MLB ERA

I did that once, and with similar conditions.

I was in a Babe Ruth league playing RF and the field was all wet due to rain earlier in the day.

Had a routine shallow fly ball coming my direction that I misjudged and started to overrun.

I noticed it at the last second and put on the breaks, then slipped and fell on my ass.

But, as I was falling I had my glove hand face up to the side and the ball fell into it.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Disagreed. The throw was a one hopper to the plate, that would have had Pineiro out if Castro hadn't waited for it BEHIND home plate. His throw was fine. Not to mention that I don't think Pineiro was that far from home when Murphy got the ball.

You're completely wrong. Did you even watch the play? He took one step back, then started coming in on the ball, got to the spot where IT WOULD HAVE HIT HIM IN THE CHEST, and slipped on a wet track. You're COMPLETELY wrong.
    I would have thrown Pineiro out by ten feet considering I would have the ball before he even touched third. It shouldn;t have been that close.

You're right on the second part though.

MLB ERA

I would have thrown Pineiro out by ten feet considering I would have the ball before he even touched third. It shouldn;t have been that close.

You're right on the second part though.
    I dunno, I mean, the throw was a one hopper, right on line. I don't buy that he loafed to the ball, so I don't really fault him for that. Castro should have been in front of the plate, Pineiro would have slid into him, and he would have missed the plate/been out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He took to long to throw it and his arm isn't the best. He did throw a strike but it shouldn;t have been close. I know for a fact that I would have gotten there in time for Castro to light a cigar and sit in a lawn chair on top of the plate before Joel was ten feet from the plate. Ok I slightly exaggerated but it would not have been close. In college, I had a ML OF arm according to scouts so I know what I can do. And this is with my shoulder torn to shreds.

MLB ERA

I just re-watched the play. He was playing VERY deep, which caused him to be later getting to the ball than one would like. Pineiro was rounding third as Murphy first picked the ball up. Murph was deep because Pujols was batting. I don't fault him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast