Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could LJ have a new friend? Could it be a 500lb CF?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Humor Could LJ have a new friend? Could it be a 500lb CF?

Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Could LJ have a new friend? Could it be a 500lb CF?

Nothing can top the Luis Ayala move.

MLB ERA

Minaya must have been stoned/drunk/blacked out when he came up with this idea
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I guess they just don't have faith in Daniel Murphy and Fernando Tatis in LF. I really want to know the reasoning behind this rumor because I can't find it.

MLB ERA

I'm sure the Dodgers would consider this a decent trade. They get a usable 2B and dump a huge salary at the same time. The Mets would be foolish to make this trade. Jones has obviously lost something while Castillo is still a decent 2B. He can hit 8th in the lineup and any offensive production from him would be a bonus. Yes Castillo is being overpaid, but his contract is easier to justify than Jones' is.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

But Castillo's is also a longer term deal. Jones, if we get LA to take Castillo's deal and pay part of Jones, then we get Jones to compete for a roster spot, and get an opening to bring in Orlando Hudson. Not an ideal move, but better than dealing with Castillo's balky knees, because he is NOT a decent hitter, fielder, OR runner anymore. He's terrible.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Did you guys not read the article? It says the Dodgers would NOT be interested in Castillo. Its all moot now considering this:
    MLB.com's Marty Noble reports that the Andruw Jones-to-the-Mets talks took place at the winter meetings and that there were never any serious discussions.
    A person familiar with the discussions said Monday "nothing is on-going, and nothing [no trade] is going to happen." That's just what we figured. Just ESPN trying to turn something of very little note into a headline for the website.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Not an ideal move, but better than dealing with --------'s balky knees, because he is NOT a decent hitter, fielder, OR runner anymore. He's terrible.
    If you hadn't said Castillo's name there, I'd have thought you were describing Andruw Jones....
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

But Jones is still a decent fielder. He can't hit, but he has more pop than Castillo and might have a shot to rebound if he comes to camp in shape. Castillo, his knees will never be the same.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Did you guys not read the article? It says the Dodgers would NOT be interested in Castillo. Its all moot now considering this:

I did read that. But there's no way the Mets will take Jones unless the Dodgers take back Castillo. So, if a deal were to happen, it'd be shit for shit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    But Jones is still a decent fielder. He can't hit, but he has more pop than Castillo and might have a shot to rebound if he comes to camp in shape. Castillo, his knees will never be the same.
    Castillo still has a good OBP and still stole four bases after coming back from injury. Him in the 8th spot in the lineup will help the top of the order especially late in games. Mets are stuck with him.

MLB ERA

He had a decent OBP, but his speed wasn't NEARLY the same. He hobbles from base to base, and stole 2-3 of those on the back end of double steals with Reyes. Him in the 8th spot means you will never clear the pitcher, because he flails at the ball, and looks stupid. There's gotta be a way to dump him, PLEASE!?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Of course his speed wasn't the same directly after coming back from injury, it takes time. An offseason will do him good. I do not get what you mean by "clear the pitcher".

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Of course his speed wasn't the same directly after coming back from injury, it takes time. An offseason will do him good. I do not get what you mean by "clear the pitcher".

His speed wasn't good BEFORE the injury. It isn't coming back. Years on the turf at the Metrodome were the end of him.

Meaning, as the 8 hitter, when you come up with 2 outs, in the NL, you HAVE to get on base to clear the pitcher, so the pitcher doesn't have to lead off ruining 2 innings. Unfortunately, Castillo's OBP was better in March-June, then after the injury, even that took a massive dive. I don't know for sure, but I don't think he's anywhere near what the Mets need, or could use.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

His speed might not have been good but it wasn't bad. He stole 17 bases last year, 19 in 07. His speed might not be what it once was but he can still steal a base.

Castillo in the 8th spot with his good OBP would allow them to "clear the pitcher". It also comes in very handy when there is less than two outs and the pitcher can bunt him into scoring position. He is definitely usable for the Mets in that role. You can't base this upcoming season on 19 games after he came back from injury. It takes time and the Mets should give it to him since he is clearly working his ass off this offseason or at least that's what he told Minaya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast