Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heilman Wants A Trade

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets Heilman Wants A Trade

Agent Mark Rodgers said Wednesday that Aaron Heilman no longer wants to be a reliever and would like to be traded if the Mets aren't willing to let him start.
    "The object the entire time has never been to get out of New York," Rodgers said. "The object is to get out of the bullpen. The most success he's ever had as a pitcher has been as a starting pitcher. He was drafted by the Mets as a starting pitcher." According to the New York Daily News, the Mets are "giving no consideration to using Heilman as a starter," suggesting that a trade may be in the works.
    Well in the Majors, Heilman has a ERA of 5.93 as a starter and a 3.52 ERA as a reliever. Heilman does have very few starts (25) over his career so his ERA could be a bit misleading but still telling. I am sure a team will take a chance on Heilman as a starter. Rockies, Padres, Royals, Tigers, Indians and Orioles could be interested.

Also, Daniel Murphy hurt his knee in the AFL and will have a MRI today. This could be "potentially dangerous".

MLB ERA

Re: Heilman Wants A Trade

Heilman had one good start in his entire career. As a reliever he's been much better(before last year). There's no way he will start in NY, it's just not going to happen unless Omar fails to pick up any starters. Rumor has it Heilman could be traded to Colorado for Huston Street...

I heard about the Murphy injury, but my source is saying it's just a knee sprain. Not TOO serious. Where did you hear it could be "potentially dangerous"?

MLB ERA

Aaron Heilman for Huston Street

Good joke

You know what else would be really funny? Heilman pitching in Coors
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

The Rockies are looking to deal Street, and they're one of 5+ teams who like Heilman(don't ask me why).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Heilman had one good start in his entire career. As a reliever he's been much better(before last year). There's no way he will start in NY, it's just not going to happen unless Omar fails to pick up any starters. Rumor has it Heilman could be traded to Colorado for Huston Street...

I heard about the Murphy injury, but my source is saying it's just a knee sprain. Not TOO serious. Where did you hear it could be "potentially dangerous"?
    Yeah, I don;t see a Heilman for Street happening either. I have read a bunch of baseball shit this morning so I can't remember who said it was "potentially dangerous" but I just read rotoworld's little write up on Murphy and it says it shouldn;t be that bad either so that's probably the case.

MLB ERA

idk, I've seen on multiple blogs(including those like Adam Rubin from the NY Daily News and I think by SI's John Heyman) that a Heilman for Street deal could be discussed. They both mentioned that the Mets would have to throw in a mid-level prospect, but I'd still do that deal.

MLB ERA

Of course you'd do that deal! The question is why the hell the Rockies would want to do that deal

MLB ERA

I just explained it to you. They like Heilman, and they believe they can either fix him, or bring him back to the success he had before last year.

Not to mention that Street has been losing velocity, losing command, and would free up $$ for them to go out and either sign or trade for a REAL closer, because Street is not the answer for them.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Street is viewed as a setup man for Corpas right now.

MLB ERA

And Heilman could fill that same role, as he showed in 2005, the second half of 2006, and then 2007. He had one bad year. It's not like the guy is a cancer in the clubhouse, or has never had an ERA under 8. He sucked in 2008. He wants to start, maybe the Rockies give him a shot there, and he can be successful.

I mean, I'm not sure it's gonna happen, but I wouldn't be shocked. We'll just have to wait and see....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Heilman could fill that role but doesn't want to which is why the Street needs to be held onto.

MLB ERA

Yeah, but he's surprisingly good about it. He only brings up the starting issue when a reporter asks. He has never griped publicly, and he seems like a decent guy. They could trade for him and put him in the pen....

MLB ERA

Did you read the story LJ? He wants to start. No setting up for Heilman. So he can't fill that role.

Also, never having an ERA under 8 is stretching for a good stat....that's like saying a guy's never had a batting average under .200

MLB ERA

First off, yes I did. But ya know what, he can't do anything about it. He goes to the Rockies, if they want him in the pen, he's gonna be in the pen. End of story. Or, if they wanna start him and make him happy, that could work too, maybe allowing him to stress less and improve his stats.

It was hyperbole. He's been pretty darn good for 3 of the last 4 years. Last year, he pitched with tendonitis in his knee, and struggled. But one bad year doesn't kill him as a pitcher. The point is that after last year a lot of people talk like he has no value at all to the Mets, to any other team, or even to society. A lot of people are overreacting to his bad year. He is still better than whatever setup man the Rockies have now.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Did you read the story LJ? He wants to start. No setting up for Heilman. So he can't fill that role.

Also, never having an ERA under 8 is stretching for a good stat....that's like saying a guy's never had a batting average under .200
    Never having an ERA under 8 would be terrible. That would be the equivalent of never have a batting average ABOVE .200. It's terrible. My point was that "It's not like Heilman has never had an ERA below 8"....saying you guys undervalue him and act like he's awful, when he's had one poor year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast