Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heilman Wants A Trade

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Heilman Wants A Trade

The Rockies have Street now. He is not better than Street. And I am sure the Mets would accommodate Heilman's wishes by sending him to a team that will start him.

MLB ERA

Other than last year, Heilman was as good or better than Street.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Street has a career 2.88 ERA, Heilman a 3.52 ERA as a reliever. Heilman has not never been better than Street. Taking away last year like you want, Street is even better.

MLB ERA

Meanwhile Heilman has never been hurt(enough to miss time), didn't have his velocity dip by 8 MPH last year, and pitches 85+ innings per year compared to Street's 70. I'm not a huge Street fan, honestly. He's the guy I wanted the Mets to get least.

Also, Heilman makes less than 1/3 the amount that Street did last year, and Heilman has I believe 2 years of arby left where he will only get what he earns.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But even with Street's arm problems he still had a 3.68 ERA.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

An MRI on Daniel Murphy's hamstring revealed a Grade 2 strain.
    Murphy had planned to play in Puerto Rico following the end of the AFL season this week, but he'll instead take the rest of the winter off. He should be fully recovered in a month or so.
    Wasn't even his knee!!

MLB ERA

Interesting. Every source I saw said it was his knee....

Well, at least it's nothing to severe.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    But even with Street's arm problems he still had a 3.68 ERA.
    True, but I'd rather a guy who can pitch consistently without fear of him missing time.

I'm not saying Heilman is leaps and bounds better, I'm just saying that, when you look at them closely, they're not too far apart. I mean, I see your side, and thats why I think the Mets would have to throw in a prospect. I just think that the Rockies (or maybe more likely other teams) have more interest in Heilman than most people care to believe.

MLB ERA

LJ, you really need to give up the argument that Heilman is better than Street. It's not true. Nobody will believe you, unless you throw a RIDICULOUS number out there, and I don't think there is one to be found.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Kyle, Did you read my last post? I'm not arguing Heilman is better. I'm arguing that the vast majority of people(READ: YOU) are underrating Heilman based on one shitty year. The guy has up until this past year been one of the leagues better set up men, has always had lights out stuff, has always been healthy, has taken the ball whenever asked, and (again, up until this past year) has been successful in the bullpen. He had a rough start in 2005, but had a 0.68 ERA in the second half. He was ok at the start of 2006, but he had a 2.65 ERA in the second half, in 2007 he was pretty good, with an ERA of 3.03. He has a nice 95 mph fastball with good movement, and has an excellent changeup. Last year, he pitched with a knee injury in his push off knee. I personally believe that that was what lead him to struggle. Now, I'm not saying Heilman is better than Street, that's an opinion based argument, and I'm not gonna change anyone's mind. The point is that Aaron Heilman is NOT 2008's Eric Gagne, he's not Guillermo Mota, he's actually got skill, and you all refuse to see it.

Assuming Heilman comes back healthy, he should have no problem with his push off leg, thus meaning he should be able to locate his pitches better, get into fewer hitter's counts, and be forced to throw fewer meatballs over the plate. I think Heilman will come back and be a good reliever again, I really do. Maybe not a lights out, Mariano Rivera, just-give-up-when-he-comes-in pitcher, but a very good pitcher, and a guy you want on your team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I never said Heilman was bad, just that he's not worth Huston Street in a trade. Heilman has what, two pitches? Not exactly starter material which is why he is no longer a starter. But if he wants a trade so he can be a starter, so be it. A team will take a chance. Just don't expect much in return.

MLB ERA

He has more than 2 pitches. He has a plus fastball/change combo, and then he also has a slider, and he's been experimenting with a cutter from what I hear.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Kyle, Did you read my last post? I'm not arguing Heilman is better.
    Other than last year, Heilman was as good or better than Street.
    umm..........

I'm arguing that the vast majority of people(READ: YOU) are underrating Heilman based on one shitty year. The guy has up until this past year been one of the leagues better set up men, has always had lights out stuff, has always been healthy, has taken the ball whenever asked, and (again, up until this past year) has been successful in the bullpen. He had a rough start in 2005, but had a 0.68 ERA in the second half. He was ok at the start of 2006, but he had a 2.65 ERA in the second half, in 2007 he was pretty good, with an ERA of 3.03. He has a nice 95 mph fastball with good movement, and has an excellent changeup. Last year, he pitched with a knee injury in his push off knee. I personally believe that that was what lead him to struggle. Now, I'm not saying Heilman is better than Street, that's an opinion based argument, and I'm not gonna change anyone's mind. The point is that Aaron Heilman is NOT 2008's Eric Gagne, he's not Guillermo Mota, he's actually got skill, and you all refuse to see it.

Assuming Heilman comes back healthy, he should have no problem with his push off leg, thus meaning he should be able to locate his pitches better, get into fewer hitter's counts, and be forced to throw fewer meatballs over the plate. I think Heilman will come back and be a good reliever again, I really do. Maybe not a lights out, Mariano Rivera, just-give-up-when-he-comes-in pitcher, but a very good pitcher, and a guy you want on your team.
    ok, I really like aaron heilman. For records sake, I said he's good before last year. I really liked him. After this year, he's really gone sour on me. I know he has the talent, he just has to prove it. And I hate it when people say "if you throw away this year he's good" cuz you can't throw away this year. So he's decent. He's nowhere near Street, and you can't convince me otherwise. I still think he's got talent, he's just GOT to rebound this year (which i think he can) in order to have any value
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I disagree with your last statement. Because he still has all the things that made him successful, whereas Street doesn't. Street's regression was because of the fact that he's lost 10 mph on his fastball. You don't just gain 10 mph back. Heilman struggled because of an injury, which will heal, and he will more likely return to his previous ways. Street was still good this year despite his lack of stuff, but the question is which one is more likely to regain what made them successful, and in my mind the answer is the guy who has never had an arm injury(Heilman), as opposed to the guy who has missed time with arm problems, and has scared away the majority of teams with the likelihood of more arm injuries(Street).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You gain 10 mph back when your arm is healthy again. Street is young enough to recover.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast