Thread: The Growth of Big Pelf

MLB ERA

Player The Growth of Big Pelf

Mike Pelfrey was a first round draft pick in 2005. He was highly touted, and had actually been drafted by Tampa Bay in 2002 before deciding to go to college at Wichita State. When he did come out, and the Mets chose him 9th overall, he was expected to have an impact very quickly. Unfortunately, through his first two (half) seasons he was 3-9 with an ERA well over 5. This year, Pelfrey has shown signs of vast improvement.

Last night, Mike Pelfrey pitched a full nine innings and let up just three hits, three runs, while striking out three and walking three, in a win against the Braves.

Pelfrey leads the team with 12 wins.

The Mets are 16–3 in Pelfrey’s last 19 starts, during which he has a 3.23 ERA.
    Jerry Manuel has clearly been impressed, allowing his young starter(who he acknowledged had throw more innings than he was used to) to finish off what he started:

“Mike has evolved into one of the bright young pitching stars in the National League, no question. He’s very impressive from where he came early in the season. We were questioning whether or not to have him have him in the rotation…
    Even Pelfrey acknowledged that he has changed a lot even from the start of this year.

“I’m not the same guy that, early in the year, was trying to be so perfect and nibble at the strike zone. I feel more confident and know that when I throw the ball over the plate and keep it down we have guys behind me that will make plays.”
    Pelfrey has been a very important part of the Mets consistent starting pitching, and he will continue to be a big part of this division race. I'm glad to see him finally succeeding. Lastly, GO BIG PELF!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: The Growth of Big Pelf

I told everybody who listened not to give up on Pelfrey, he obviously has the stuff and the makeup to be a high-quality big league starter. It's easy to tell that his confidence has just been soaring this season.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

My confidence would soar too if I had those kind of numbers. I look forward to seeing him continue to develop and dominate hitters. It's always fun to see a young prospect like this actually pan out. Really fun to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I agree with both of you. I mean, it wasn't so much that Mets fans(or at least myself) had given up on Pelfrey, moreso that we were concerned how he had such extreme struggles in his first few years(although the inconsistent innings didn't help). It's great to see him coming along, and I'm quite glad that he was given another chance this year. As Walter Matthews said, "A year ago, the Mets were wondering what to do with Mike Pelfrey....Now, they're wondering what they would do without him".

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I liked Pelfrey a lot last year and had high hopes for him this season but must admit I lost the faith earlier in the year. He is maturing and making the necessary adjustments to be a big league pitcher.

MLB ERA

Pelfrey is more a young stud than maine or perez... LOL

seriously he's looking really good, definitely your #2 right now
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    As Walter Matthews said, "A year ago, the Mets were wondering what to do with Mike Pelfrey....Now, they're wondering what they would do without him".
    hey, i'd much rather have it that way than the other way around
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Hey, Mike Pelfrey right now is leading the team in wins. The guy has been great(as long as he doesn't face the Marlins).

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm attributing tonight's great game to James Blake being decked out in Mets gear before his match.

Oh, and to Pelfrey too.

MLB ERA

lol, Pelfrey is the first Mets Pitcher since 1993 to pitch back to back complete game wins. It's impressive, in this day and age to do so, unless your name is CC Sabathia or Doc Halladay. Pelfrey has been great all year, and the Mets are now 14-3 in Pelfrey's last 17 starts.

MLB ERA

lol, Pelfrey is the first Mets Pitcher since 1993 to pitch back to back complete game wins. It's impressive, in this day and age to do so, unless your name is CC Sabathia or Doc Halladay. Pelfrey has been great all year, and the Mets are now 14-3 in Pelfrey's last 17 starts.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets needed that! No bullpen is a good thing.

MLB ERA

Very good. Plus, for him to be developing this well, at age 24, is a great sign for the future of the team...