Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Bold Prediction

MLB ERA

Mets A Bold Prediction

The New York Mets are 63 games in, 30-33 overall. They are 8.5 Games Back of the division lead, and 6 in the loss column. The team is inconsistent, has only 2 hitters, only 1 reliever, and only 2-3 starters, but that depends on the night. They are on a 5 game losing streak, including four at the hands of the last place Padres. This team looks flat, uninspired, and GOD AWFUL. I've been very supportive of Willie, and I finally believe that he may not be the right answer for this team. The problem is that there are no real options to replace him. Willie needs to go, even though he is still a good manager in my mind, but I don't know who should replace him. So, with all this in mind, and the awful relief pitching, I'm going to go ahead and predict:

The Mets will not win 80 games this year, and will fail to meet the high expectations of their fans. I pronounce this Mets season nearly DEAD at 1:09 AM on June 11, 2008.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: A Bold Prediction

I really think the Mets if they try to get another manager will do it after this season so you and other Mets fans just may have to suffer that long. I have heard rumors that the Mets are really interested in talking to Yankees Coach Tony Pena, but I don't think they can right now.

MLB ERA

I don't know. I mean, they need a manager to light a fire, but too firey a manager may just piss off the veterans and get nothing accomplished. This team may have to disband(save for Reyes, Wright, Santana, Beltran) after 2009, and hopefully they can build a decent team around those guys, because I don't see many positive signs right now

Closed
    AAA ERA

I don't know much about Willie Randolph and his mangagerial style. Is he more of a players manager or is he like a sargeant type of manager?

MLB ERA

This is quite a bold prediction LJ. As much as I agree with you as far as where the team is right now and how they are just not there, there is so much season left that I can't agree with you, especially seeing as they are only 3 games under .500. There is still plenty of time to turn things around. They may not be in very good position to make the playoffs, but they can win more than 80 games, and they aren't even close to being eliminated from October. You can't just give up on your team this early in the season man, no matter how bad they look.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

See that's the thing. I'm not giving up on the team. I was chanting last night in the 9th inning, I stayed through the rain delay, I still root for them, I still emotionally live and die with their success, but I can't understand where the failure is coming from. Sources say multiple players are fed up with NY, the booing, and everything else. But this team is just not good enough. They have too many players underperforming, too many injured, and too many (ONE) who just SUCK...Carlos Delgado. There's no one in the bullpen that can be trusted, except for Wagner, and MAYBE Joe Smith. Johan has been good, but not spectacular, Pedro will get hurt again, Perez has been awful, and Pelfrey has taken 3 years in the majors and hasn't learned a SINGLE god damned thing. It's a mediocre team...even though on paper it looks better. I know there's a lot of time left, but there's no energy, no desire, and there's been no positive sign that they can actually rebound. In 2006, you got the sense that the Mets could come back from any deficit, including 6-1 in the 9th(because they did it). This year, when they're down 2-1 in the 6th, you get the sense that they're mentally beat. I don't know what will wake this team up, but we can't keep saying "it's still early" or "it's only ____". It's June. We play the Phillies, Yankees, Angels, and Astros over the next however many games, and if we don't get to the all star break at AT LEAST .500, we're screwed. And with Webb and Haren going the next two nights, this could be extended to a 7 game losing streak. It sucks.

PS: Bon Bon, Willie is a big time player's manager. Easy going, loves veterans, doesn't argue EVER

MLB ERA

nah, sorry man, declaring their season dead is giving up on them

MLB ERA

Read again, I didn't say dead. I said nearly. I haven't given up. Why would I do that if I lasted through 2001-2004?

MLB ERA

that's edited. from our IM conversation:

"Louis" (12:36:30 AM): so you know, i'm pronouncing the Mets Season dead on June 11, 12:36 AM

MLB ERA

lol, whatever man. I was pretty damn frustrated. Trust me, I haven't given up.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padres aren't in last place. Unless some changes are made, your prediction isn;t all that bold.

MLB ERA

well then this thread shouldn't exist. you can get out your frustrations in a thread like this, but if you're a real fan you won't declare your team dead until they're officially eliminated. and i know you lou, you're a real fan. take this whole thing back please.

I understand why you're frustrated. I don't understand why you made it look like you gave up. I know you didn't. But.....you did. Just take it back and i'll forgive you and your fanhood will stay intact

MLB ERA

They were in last before they swept us. And it's bold because of how early in the season I'm saying it about a team that is very talented on paper...

MLB ERA

paper means nothing, you know that, stupid that's why they play the freakin season

MLB ERA

All this thread was meant to say was that if some drastic measures aren't taken to wake this team up, then they will not pick it up enough to be competitive, or even fun to watch. I believe they CAN turn it around, if something is done to show these guys that they can't just hope real hard to win games. I think the cloud of the NLCS loss combined with that of the collapse has formed a bit of a perfect storm over this clubhouse, hence why they need to add someone, or remove people, make a change to increase the intensity of this team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast