Thread: Punto is a Cardinal

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Punto is a Cardinal

Nick Punto(notes) has agreed to a $750,000, one-year contract with the St. Louis Cardinals, giving them insurance for rehabbing third baseman David Freese(notes). The 33-year-old Punto, a switch-hitter, was the Minnesota Twins’ opening day third baseman last year and also played shortstop and second base. He batted .238 in 88 games and had no errors at third, but battled hamstring injuries that twice landed him on the 15-day disabled list.
    This is sort of surprising. He was due $5 mil from the Twins this year, which I don't think he was worth. Twins instead paid him a $500k buyout to get him out of the final year on his contract. Gardy loves Punto's work ethic, which makes me wonder why they didn't try to work something out. Either way, this solidifies a roster spot for Tolbert/Casilla.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Punto is a Cardinal

It's that kind of ethic, and versatility that LaRussa likes. Even if they can't hit.

MLB ERA

Nick is a decent fielding, light hitting utility guy that can play nearly anywhere. He is definitely not worth the $5MM that the option would have called for. The Cardinals got a pretty good deal here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Nick is a decent fielding, light hitting utility guy that can play nearly anywhere.
    Good thing the Cards finally got one of those!
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Punto cant hit. He was a guy you liked in late innings for his glove. Tolbert will make the club and see playing time. Another cost cutting move for the Twins.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL