Thread: Twins want Brett Boone...

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Twins Twins want Brett Boone...

here is the article I found. I will post it so you all can read it. I think again this would be a great fit. We can move Lohse because Baker in my mind is more that ready to pitches for us.

Boone hits well in the Dome 271 hitter, he also states in the article he enjoys playing at the dome. Terry Ryan also has not denied the trade talks. Terry always doe's. He wants to get Boone here. I hope he doe's. I think if Boone is here or somewhere else he will be playing at a hi level to show Seattle how wrong they were to release him.

Twins pursue Boone trade ..

BY GORDON WITTENMYER, Pioneer Press
    July 6, 2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. - If three-time all-star Bret Boone isn't the Twins' starting second baseman next week, it won't be for lack of making a run at the suddenly available Gold Glove infielder.

The Twins appear to be in the middle of the pursuit of Boone, with the San Diego Padres and possibly the New York Yankees also talking to the Seattle Mariners, who designated Boone for assignment Sunday.

Seattle's move gives the Mariners 10 days to trade or release him, and general manager Bill Bavasi has made it clear he plans to make a deal, probably for a prospect or package of prospects.

Among the top areas of need for Seattle are pitchers and outfielders. The Twins have pitching depth in their system and might have just enough outfield depth to afford a prospect from that pool.

"I'm not going to deny anything right now,'' said Terry Ryan, the Twins' typically tight-lipped general manager, when asked about pursuing Boone. "I've got to keep everything going.''

Another Twins official suggested interest in Boone, and reports in Seattle say the Twins are one of as many as a half-dozen teams interested.

The Twins' attraction to Boone, who is in the final year of his contract, is as obvious as their biggest hurdle.

Despite his hitting struggles this season (.231, seven homers), Boone is a 13-year veteran with a .266 lifetime average, good power (252 career homers), leadership, playoff experience and Gold Glove awards at second the past three seasons. He would bolster the Twins' weakest position area this season, the infield, becoming the fifth starter this season at second.

Boone, 36, has told those close to him he loves playing at the Metrodome, where he owns a .271 average, with four homers, in 107 career at-bats.

The hurdle is money. Boone makes $9.2 million this season, with half of that the responsibility of whomever would trade for him.

The Mariners are willing to pick up some of the remaining salary, but it's uncertain how much. A potential deal with the Padres reportedly fell through because San Diego wanted $4 million of his remaining salary covered, and the Mariners offered to split the balance.

It is believed by some in Seattle that the Mariners might be willing to pick up $3 million or more of Boone's remaining salary - especially considering that if Boone were to be released and clear waivers, the Mariners would be responsible for all of his salary.

One intriguing possibility, although unlikely for a rent-a-player such as Boone, would be trading pitcher Kyle Lohse and his $2.4 million salary for Boone. The Twins would consider that only if they felt sure that a prospect such as right-hander Scott Baker, who pitched well against the Los Angeles Angels on Tuesday night, was ready to step into the rotation. And it's likely to happen only if the Twins decide they don't plan to go through another winter of arbitration, and possibly two winters of arbitration (paying upward of $3 million or $4 million in salary), with a projected fifth starter.

Lohse's name has been raised in trade rumors, and his trade value is at its highest in at least two years.

Ryan said that in general he is looking into possible trades as the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline looms.

"There's interest in making a trade to improve the ballclub,'' he said. "There's no question we've got some areas of concern. I'd like to help out and be a contributor to the point where we can help the cause out.''

A deal for Boone would be the Twins' biggest trading-deadline deal since they acquired leadoff hitter Shannon Stewart at the all-star break in 2003
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    I don't think Boone is struggling. I think he's just not good any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    I don't think Boone is struggling. I think he's just not good any more.
    Haha, me too. JUST TRADE US ANYONE YOU GOT FOR HIM!!!!!!!
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

AA ERA
    Twins should try to do better. Like going after Alfonso Soriano.

Bret Boone does not cut it for me. I rather see Luis Rivas play than Bret. That's how I really feel about Bret right now at his point of his career.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really doubt the Twins will be a serious buyer for Soriano, even if they have the payroll flexibility. The Rangers are not going to just give away Soriano. Any team that wants Soriano would have to pay big. The Rangers would ask for a package of players along the lines of Crain and Liriano.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Haha, me too. JUST TRADE US ANYONE YOU GOT FOR HIM!!!!!!!

Take Olivo with you!!!!!!!!!!!
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    realmofo: Twins got so many pitching prospects out there. They can give up Travis Bowyer, Denard Span, and Boof Bonser, who are all ready to pitch in the majors if they want to. Those guys will likely never pitch a game with the Twins so might as well dump him especially for Soriano.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Isn't Denard Span an outfielder? Bowyer, Span, and Bonser seem to be decent prospects, albeit not elite prospects like the M&M boys and Crain were.