Thread: Twins Eyeing Orlando Cabrera?

MLB ERA

Twins Twins Eyeing Orlando Cabrera?

In a story at MLBTR, it appears the Twins are in serious negotiations with the A's for this guy: Twins Eyeing A's Orlando Cabrera: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
    Personally, I'd like to see the team grab Wuertz and Cabrera from the A's. They could use the arm in the pen.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Twins Eyeing Orlando Cabrera?

Link is blocked at work...but this wouldn't be bad at all. Solid glove and pretty good bat at SS, move Harris back over to 2B and punch Casilla in the face.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Here you go, Henks:
    Twins Eyeing A's Orlando Cabrera

By Drew Silva [July 26, 2009 at 10:31pm CST]
    SUNDAY, 10:31pm: As the San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser notes, a few key members of the Twins are also pining for Cabrera.
    According to Cabrera," Slusser writes, "when the A's played Minnesota last week, every time Joe Mauer or Justin Morneau got on base, they'd say, " 'We're trying to get you! We want to get you here!'"
    But, Slusser also adds this: "An A's source told The Chronicle last week that the Twins' offer wasn't what Oakland was looking for. Minnesota sounds motivated enough to have improved the offer, but it's also possible that it would take a multi-team deal to make it happen."
    SATURDAY, 11:36pm: I just swapped emails with ESPN's Buster Olney, who recently discussed Cabrera and the Twins in a radio appearance. Olney says the Twins are "deep into talks and talking composition of a deal" with the A's for O-Cab.
    4:31pm: According to Kelsie Smith with the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins, and especially manager Ron Gardenhire, are interested in A's shortstop Orlando Cabrera.
    "I like Cabrera, yes," Gardenhire said Saturday. "I'm not allowed to talk about players, but yes I like Cabrera. It's a direct question. I can answer a direct question. I think he's a great player."

The Twins have been searching for a reliable shortstop since the offseason. Cabrera is piecing together an excellent July at the plate, and is now batting .274/.312/.362 overall with four home runs, 39 RBI and nine stolen bases. He has about $1.5MM remaining on his contract and is a free agent after this season.

Tim Dierkes also contributed to this post.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Thanks for posting that for me! :thumbup
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I doubt we'd give up Wuertz because he is under control for 1 or 2 more seasons. Cabrera is a FA-to-be. Go ahead, take him.

MLB ERA

Wuertz would be more help to the Twins right now, but Cabrera will help the rest of the season.
    Cabrera would hit 2nd in the order, play solid defense at SS and let the Twins play Harris at 2nd most of the time. Crede would play when he can at 3rd and Casilla would get a couple of games a week, when Harris would play 3rd (maybe Punto gets a start a week also).